New deer rifle?

Jim Boyd

furtaker is right. They feel cheap and they are cheap but they are also tack drivers. I love my Tupperware Model 11, cheap barrel nut and all! The lead goes where you put the crosshairs.:rockon:

The barrel nut is rated as ugly.

The entire rifle is cheap!

My 7-08 is a great, great gun, Tupperware and all.

Gonna put it in a good stock one day and also put good glass on it.

One day!!!!

Robert28

I wish Savage would bring back the Accustock. I have a 16 fcns 243 and man it’s sweet! IMO they went TOO cheap with their synthetic stocks but that’s the market these days. They need to bring back their American classic series and the fcns/fcss rifles though.

Turkeytider

I wish Savage would bring back the Accustock. I have a 16 fcns 243 and man it’s sweet! IMO they went TOO cheap with their synthetic stocks but that’s the market these days. They need to bring back their American classic series and the fcns/fcss rifles though.
Savage lists the Accustock as available on their web site.

Reactions: Dub

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The barrel nut is rated as ugly.

The entire rifle is cheap!

My 7-08 is a great, great gun, Tupperware and all.

Gonna put it in a good stock one day and also put good glass on it.

One day!!!!

Remember what daddy said Jim - if it ain't broke, don't fix it son.:wink:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Jim Boyd

I have a Howa 1500 in 6.5x55 that is probably the most accurate hunting rifle I own. The left is a 129 Hornady SP and the right is a 140 Nosler AB. Both handloads.
View attachment 1159473

Furtaker

If those are 100 yard groups, that is WORLD CLASS accuracy.

And world class shooting too.

Very, very nicely done.

I would aspire to shoot groups like that… from any gun.

Nice work, sir.

furtaker

Furtaker

If those are 100 yard groups, that is WORLD CLASS accuracy.

And world class shooting too.

Very, very nicely done.

I would aspire to shoot groups like that… from any gun.

Nice work, sir.
Yeah, not bad for a stock hunting rifle with a cheap Nikon on top. I knew when I first shot that rifle with a couple of factory loads that I had something special on my hands. Those rifles have an accuracy guarantee too.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is the Hogue stock makes the rifle a touch heavy. Not a big deal though.

Howa and Weatherby Vanguards are basically the same rifle with the same action. But interestingly I've owned two or three Vanguards and was not overly impressed with the accuracy of them. Plenty good for hunting but nothing to get too excited about.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I picked up a savage axis in 6.5 CM with a 3x9 Weaver scope, lite and by far the most accurate rifle I have. It does like the heavier rounds though @ 140 gain and all were touching, tried the 129 deer season and the group opened way up.

Turkeytider

I picked up a savage axis in 6.5 CM with a 3x9 Weaver scope, lite and by far the most accurate rifle I have. It does like the heavier rounds though @ 140 gain and all were touching, tried the 129 deer season and the group opened way up.

You`ll see criticisms of Savage rifles for their stocks and general fit and finish, and it`s true they`re not as "refined " as Tikka or Bergara. What you won`t see many of are complaints about their ability to put a bullet on target.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You`ll see criticisms of Savage rifles for their stocks and general fit and finish, and it`s true they`re not as "refined " as Tikka or Bergara. What you won`t see many of are complaints about their ability to put a bullet on target.
Mine actually fits me pretty well, as for the looks, well I buy guns to hunt with and they get used pretty rough and for $320 new, can't beat it with a stick
20211021_132749.jpg