New hunter questions

Harpman

New guy here, I havent hunted deer much before, only nailed a couple in my life, But am now getting more interested, anyway, For bow hunting, I have found a great area where I am, with lots of acorns just starting to fall, and can use my tree stand right in the middle of it if I want, wondering, Since this area is like 100 square yards, how can I get those deer to come right to me ? with in 25 yards for bow shots. please spare me the smart remarks..during the rut I would use a scent, but I am not sure about this early in the season.
Thanks for any help !
Ron

Deano

Try to find the trees there using by looking for deer dropings get 25 yrds down wind and set up . If your not sure about a tree just sit back a little ways and try to figure out where there coming into the oaks at what trees there going to and just move in a little at a time stay down wind .you'll learn by your mistakes , and a little luck never hurts either

franklinm

Harpman If the area is only one hundred square yard`s .
I would take a slow walk around it , find where they are coming in and out , then try and set up down wind . or if you look in the area you will find the tree`s that the deer hit most by there sign there .

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Spend a few minutes walking the area to see where the trails come in and out and if possible intersect. Make sure you are downwind and hunt that area first. Move as needed.

Good luck and welcome to the forums, yell if I can help you with anything

Arrow Flinger

You should be able to find an area with plenty of droppings and disturbed leaves. If not, the deer are probably just feeding the whole area and you will need to figure out where they are bedding and coming from. Also, an area like this is real hard to hunt in the mornings. Most of the time, the deer will be in the area at first light and it is almost impossable to enter the area without spooking the deer.

HORTON

Harpman, sounds like you've found a great spot to hunt. I would do like the others and spend a few minutes walking around the perimeter of the oaks and try to pinpoint the most used trails. Pay attention to the surrounding woods outside this hotspot. I.E. look for there bedding areas. Pine thickets, clearcuts, etc. If you are confident you know where they are bedding, then you can ambush them on that particular trail if you can hunt it downwind.
Don't spend too much time in there though. Get in and get out.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Harpman

Thanks for the help guys, I am kinda limited for the access routes, I am sure they are coming in on someone elses property, And a couple guys hunt there, but the spot I have, there is this one tree, on the base of a hill, when the nuts fall, they roll down, it looks like you took and just shoveled these acorns in a 10x10 spot really thick, and it apears to be on a trail, So I guess I will use that one spot and hope for the best. I have found scrapes in the past right along this stretch, but nothing this year yet. Is it time yet to find tree scrapes here in west central Georgia ?
Harris county.

gabowman

Arrow Flinger said:
You should be able to find an area with plenty of droppings and disturbed leaves. If not, the deer are probably just feeding the whole area and you will need to figure out where they are bedding and coming from. Also, an area like this is real hard to hunt in the mornings. Most of the time, the deer will be in the area at first light and it is almost impossable to enter the area without spooking the deer.

Could be one of those places where you might want to be settled in your stand 30 minutes before daybreak. I hate doing that but by trying this you might still be able to catch a few late stragglers browsing thru that area headed back to the bedding area.

gordylew

Buy a cheap rake. find a good climbable tree. rake out the leaves underneath the closest oak thats dropping. Deer are lazy they,ll come to that tree first since they won,t have to hunt for the acorns. try to set up down wind.