New Laika pup

stonecreek

Good luck they are top notch hunting dogs. I know some guys that use them on hogs and they are good tree dogs. There use to be a guy in north in north Georgia that had several.

buddylee

Cur and fiest folks just don’t realize how good they are. They’re stuck in their antiquated ways.

buddylee

Life has prevented me from getting her in the woods as much as needed but she definitely has tons of hunt to her. Last trip out she started treeing. Probably gonna be this fall before I can really put enough time into her.

buddylee

i may have antiquated ways but I've owned two and haven't been impressed
Lot of you “antiquated” folks don’t want a dog unless it goes 400 yards to tree with both feet on the tree the whole time all the while barking 50 barks per minute. To each his own !

Last edited:

Al Medcalf

Lot of you “antiquated” folks don’t want a dog unless it goes 400 yards to tree with both feet on the tree the whole time all the while barking 50 barks per minute. To each his own !

Not me fellow. A 400 yard squirrel dog is a cull in my opinion along with a dog that won't watch the tree and timber a squirrel. If a dog barks enough to get you to the tree, it has done it's job. Your problem is that you are painting everyone that doesn't like your breed of choice with a wide brush. As a matter of fact, I still have one of the Laikas. He's still here because I like the dog and he does A good job of keeping varmints away from our chickens. In other words, I like him as a dog but not as a hunter.

Last edited:

Heath

Well described Al. I’ve been around a few over the last 20 years and they were decent enough pets. They were good yard squirrel dogs but I never liked them. I owned an elkhound that had as much or more hunt than anything alive and I hated him. I caught a bunch of hog and bear in behind him that he missed with dogs that hunted with their nose. The reason we used spitz bred dogs in the American tree dogs was their keen eyesight, brain, and treeing instinct. I think you know very little about a breed that you’ve had one specimen of for example. That’s perfectly fine but the reason we don’t use them much is because we have been trying for 30 years that I know of them being in this part of the country and they can’t cut the mustard. They remain a novelty for people that want something different but they are not the best tool for the job.

TurkeyH90

I really dont understand what you have heard to say that. I own feist. For the most part they are not hard tree dogs. Curs generally tree a little harder but thats not always the case. I will hunt about any breed that will get the job done.

buddylee

I really dont understand what you have heard to say that. I own feist. For the most part they are not hard tree dogs. Curs generally tree a little harder but thats not always the case. I will hunt about any breed that will get the job done.
Didnt say everyone and wasn’t referring to you

buddylee

Well described Al. I’ve been around a few over the last 20 years and they were decent enough pets. They were good yard squirrel dogs but I never liked them. I owned an elkhound that had as much or more hunt than anything alive and I hated him. I caught a bunch of hog and bear in behind him that he missed with dogs that hunted with their nose. The reason we used spitz bred dogs in the American tree dogs was their keen eyesight, brain, and treeing instinct. I think you know very little about a breed that you’ve had one specimen of for example. That’s perfectly fine but the reason we don’t use them much is because we have been trying for 30 years that I know of them being in this part of the country and they can’t cut the mustard. They remain a novelty for people that want something different but they are not the best tool for the job.
I have an older Laika, not just the pup. I know lots of folks with laikas. They don’t hunt them as a novelty. I bought a Laika not just as a squirrel dog….

buddylee

Not me fellow. A 400 yard squirrel dog is a cull in my opinion along with a dog that won't watch the tree and timber a squirrel. If a dog barks enough to get you to the tree, it has done it's job. Your problem is that you are painting everyone that doesn't like your breed of choice with a wide brush. As a matter of fact, I still have one of the Laikas. He's still here because I like the dog and he does A good job of keeping varmints away from our chickens. In other words, I like him as a dog but not as a hunter.
Didn’t say everyone. Said a lot of hunters….As in lots of hunters aren’t open to new things. Lots of hunters are antiquated. I knew of your Laika. You tried a Laika. It didn’t suit you. Therefore do you fall into the antiquated category ?

Al Medcalf

Didn’t say everyone. Said a lot of hunters….As in lots of hunters aren’t open to new things. Lots of hunters are antiquated. I knew of your Laika. You tried a Laika. It didn’t suit you. Therefore do you fall into the antiquated category ?

No sir you said "cur and feist folks" you didn't say " A lot of hunters". I don't reckon I'm antiquated. I bought the first Mountain Cur that I had ever seen, there weren't many in Georgia 40 years ago. I had and still have an Elkhound. I just coon hunt now, getting too old to squirrel hunt and coon hunt the same day and I like coon hunting better. I coon hunt Plotts and Leopards , you don't see a lot of them around, do you? I just bought 2 new pups from a breed they I have always wanted to try.....Treeing Tennessee Brindles. So, no I'm not afraid to try different breeds and I've never been one to follow the masses.

Last edited:

buddylee

No sir you said "cur and feist folks" you didn't say " A lot of hunters". I don't reckon I'm antiquated. I bought the first Mountain Cur that I had ever seen, there weren't many in Georgia 40 years ago. I had and still have an Elkhound. I just coon hunt now, getting too old to squirrel hunt and coon hunt the same day and I like coon hunting better. I coon hunt Plotts and Leopards , you don't see a lot of them around, do you? I just bought 2 new pups from a breed they I have always wanted to try.....Treeing Tennessee Brindles. So, no I'm not afraid to try different breeds and I've never been one to follow the masses.[/QUOTE
Cur and fiest folks don’t try other breeds. They only try cur and fiest. Some hunters are open to different breeds.

Hillbilly stalker

I believe when you start telling people they are “ antiquated”…..you are telling them you know better than they do. That’s kind of an insult. You may want to consider that a lot of the people you are addressing have already “ been there done that” and been down the path you are starting. Your talking to some guys who have logged many many miles behind a lot of different breeds and have a preference. All breeds have their strengths and weaknesses and there are both good and poor examples in each breed. Some breeds seem to excel and that’s why you see more of them. Personally I wouldn’t own a 400 yard squirrel dog, there are places where you need a go yonder tree dog…….not around here, if he goes that far he’s missed a lot. I wish you luck with your pup, let us know how he does.

buddylee

I believe when you start telling people they are “ antiquated”…..you are telling them you know better than they do. That’s kind of an insult. You may want to consider that a lot of the people you are addressing have already “ been there done that” and been down the path you are starting. Your talking to some guys who have logged many many miles behind a lot of different breeds and have a preference. All breeds have their strengths and weaknesses and there are both good and poor examples in each breed. Some breeds seem to excel and that’s why you see more of them. Personally I wouldn’t own a 400 yard squirrel dog, there are places where you need a go yonder tree dog…….not around here, if he goes that far he’s missed a lot. I wish you luck with your pup, let us know how he does.
This is gonna sound rude but I’m not trying to be rude to you in any way. Just being honest and online it’s hard to show emotion. My message about cur and fiest wasn’t meant as an insult. It was my opinion based off of what I’ve seen from people. I’ve been around hunting dogs for a long time. I understand different strokes for different folks. My comment was based off a select few people, not squirrel hunters as a whole. If people find it offensive, then that’s on them. For those above that made comments without knowing me or where I’m coming from, that’s their problem.

TurkeyH90

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'd like to see that Laika hunt. I have hunted about every type of dog imaginable for everything thus state has to offer and I have seen exceptions to about every rule and generally learned time and again I don't know near as much as I might think I do. Wasn't all that long ago I had never been hunting with a really good feist and I figured curs to be somewhat superior. I now own 3 good feist.

buddylee

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'd like to see that Laika hunt. I have hunted about every type of dog imaginable for everything thus state has to offer and I have seen exceptions to about every rule and generally learned time and again I don't know near as much as I might think I do. Wasn't all that long ago I had never been hunting with a really good feist and I figured curs to be somewhat superior. I now own 3 good feist.
What part of the state you in ?