Newbie to the Akorn smoker.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Congrats! Once you complete the short learning curve of figuring out temp control... you will really enjoy the great food.

Enjoy

What he said. ^ I love mine.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Love mine. Been cooking on it for many years.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Congrats! Once you complete the short learning curve of figuring out temp control... you will really enjoy the great food.

Enjoy
I loved the learning curve. The curve produced some mighty fine food and was better that restaurant quality all day. :bounce:

I just got my first Akorn put together and will be seasoning the grates tomorrow. Thought about a pellet cooker but I have seen so many positive comments on this forum just had to give it a try. Wish me luck on the learning curve.
You're going to love it. It's not a smoker BTW. It is all that and a hot bowl of grits! Smoking, Searing, Reverse Searing, Pizza Oven, even cooked pot roast on it once. :bounce:

And it will cook vegies better than anything in your house. ;)

XD40CHRIS

I loved the learning curve. The curve produced some mighty fine food and was better that restaurant quality all day. :bounce:

You're going to love it. It's not a smoker BTW. It is all that and a hot bowl of grits! Smoking, Searing, Reverse Searing, Pizza Oven, even cooked pot roast on it once. :bounce:

And it will cook vegies better than anything in your house. ;)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I went ahead and paid the price for the Chargriller deflector stone
It is 100% essential to smoke stuff. You can even bake bread and biscuits in there. Makes great pizzas, too. I also usually put a 9x11 disposable aluminum pan on top of the stone as a drip pan. I usually fill it about half full with a mixture of beer, apple juice, and water.
The one thing I hardly ever do with mine is direct grill on it. I use the Akorn for smoking and indirect grilling, and have a barrel grill for direct grilling stuff.

XD40CHRIS

It is 100% essential to smoke stuff. You can even bake bread and biscuits in there. Makes great pizzas, too. I also usually put a 9x11 disposable aluminum pan on top of the stone as a drip pan. I usually fill it about half full with a mixture of beer, apple juice, and water.
The one thing I hardly ever do with mine is direct grill on it. I use the Akorn for smoking and indirect grilling, and have a barrel grill for direct grilling stuff.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Agree on the searing and direct heat. I did it a bit early on but have switched to cooking on the Akorn slow until the right reverse sear temp and then finishing in a blue hot iron skillet.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping to cook it all on this cooker. I trust your opinion, I have seen your food many times on the forum it always looks amazing.
You can direct grill on it too just fine. I just happen to have a few grills that are better for different specialized things. My main advice is don't heat it up too hot and fry those seals.

IMO, where the Akorn really, truly shines is for smoking and indirect grilling and baking. You can direct grill just fine over a pile of coals on the ground with a grate over it.