Newbie to the Akorn smoker.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
You can direct grill on it too just fine. I just happen to have a few grills that are better for different specialized things. My main advice is don't heat it up too hot and fry those seals.

IMO, where the Akorn really, truly shines is for smoking and indirect grilling and baking. You can direct grill just fine over a pile of coals on the ground with a grate over it.
Shhh, he has to learn. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Propane is for frying, not grilling. I do love my propane-fired Blackstone flattop.

slow motion

Propane is for frying, not grilling. I do love my propane-fired Blackstone flattop.
Don't you judge me hillbilly. :LOL:

I like the flavor of charcoal but propane is just too convenient. Not sure if I don't have time or I'm just too lazy. Probably some of both coupled with a healthy slice of not being much of a chef. Luckily Sweet Thang overlooks my flaws. I suppose that's a flaw of her's. Don't think I'll point it out though.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
It is 100% essential to smoke stuff. You can even bake bread and biscuits in there. Makes great pizzas, too. I also usually put a 9x11 disposable aluminum pan on top of the stone as a drip pan. I usually fill it about half full with a mixture of beer, apple juice, and water.
The one thing I hardly ever do with mine is direct grill on it. I use the Akorn for smoking and indirect grilling, and have a barrel grill for direct grilling stuff.

I use mine for everything - smoking, direct grilling, pizza etc. If I'm doing butts or ribs the Stumps gets fired up for that. I would get a barrel grill but SWMBO has said I got all the charcoal burning apparatuses one man can need. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't you judge me hillbilly. :LOL:

I like the flavor of charcoal but propane is just too convenient. Not sure if I don't have time or I'm just too lazy. Probably some of both coupled with a healthy slice of not being much of a chef. Luckily Sweet Thang overlooks my flaws. I suppose that's a flaw of her's. Don't think I'll point it out though.
I'm too lazy to put out the raging fires that spew out of a gas grill when you try to cook more than two burgers at once. :bounce:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Lovey Akorns. I have three. Akorns and a Blackstone is all I have anymore. If I cook outside, it's on one of those.
I do all my grilling and smoking on the Akorns. Biggest mistakes new comers make is makings big adjustments on the vents trying to control the heat. Make small changes. Learn where your Akorns likes to be set , at your chosen cook temps.
I use a heat defuser on everything but steaks. Hop in here and ask lots of questions when you get started. You'll get more help here than anywhere on the web.

XD40CHRIS

Lovey Akorns. I have three. Akorns and a Blackstone is all I have anymore. If I cook outside, it's on one of those.
I do all my grilling and smoking on the Akorns. Biggest mistakes new comers make is makings big adjustments on the vents trying to control the heat. Make small changes. Learn where your Akorns likes to be set , at your chosen cook temps.
I use a heat defuser on everything but steaks. Hop in here and ask lots of questions when you get started. You'll get more help here than anywhere on the web.
I am trying it out tomorrow with baby backs, I will try to post pics if I can figure out how to do that. ( that stuff is hard for an old man to figure out )

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I am trying it out tomorrow with baby backs, I will try to post pics if I can figure out how to do that. ( that stuff is hard for an old man to figure out )
I was just FORCED to get rid of my flip phone (so old no camera) a few months ago.. if I can post pix on here.. you can.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My best advice: Never let it get much hotter than your intended temp. It's easy to make it hotter, takes a good while to make it cooler. Don't try to build a big fire. Just light one lighter cube or something in the center of your pile of lump. And never use briquettes in it, always lump.

XD40CHRIS

My best advice: Never let it get much hotter than your intended temp. It's easy to make it hotter, takes a good while to make it cooler. Don't try to build a big fire. Just light one lighter cube or something in the center of your pile of lump. And never use briquettes in it, always lump.
How much lump do you really need for a five hour smoke at 225 - 250. ?

pjciii

There is a line to fill it up to with lump. I don't believe that you have to use something fancy for lump charcoal. I use Cowboy lump. Dont forget to burp the grill when using higher temps. 250, 275, 300. 325 you should be fine. Alot of guys have a formula to grill/smoke. To wrap and then finish.

XD40CHRIS

I was just FORCED to get rid of my flip phone (so old no camera) a few months ago.. if I can post pix on here.. you can.

There is a line to fill it up to with lump. I don't believe that you have to use something fancy for lump charcoal. I use Cowboy lump. Dont forget to burp the grill when using higher temps. 250, 275, 300. 325 you should be fine. Alot of guys have a formula to grill/smoke. To wrap and then finish.
Just starting out I am going to try a 2-2-1 method, maybe wrong but it is a start and will adjust from there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How much lump do you really need for a five hour smoke at 225 - 250. ?
I just dump it in there almost up to the supports for the smokin' stone. It'll usually do a few cooks. When you get done, shut the vents, the fire goes out, and you can re-use that lump.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Congrats on the Akorn. On my second one. With a little TLC, it should last you 5 or 6 years. I do everything on mine. Pizza, steak, smoke, whatever. You'll love it.