Newbie to the Akorn smoker.

XD40CHRIS

I'm too lazy to put out the raging fires that spew out of a gas grill when you try to cook more than two burgers at once. :bounce:

I just dump it in there almost up to the supports for the smokin' stone. It'll usually do a few cooks. When you get done, shut the vents, the fire goes out, and you can re-use that lump.
Thank you sir, getting ready to fire it up now.

XD40CHRIS

After 2 hours into the smoke I decided to change from 2-2-1 to 3-2-1. Just not enough smoke yet. I see that temp control is a little tricky like you folks told me.

Duff

Throw a couple of wood chunks on the outer edges of the coals for more smoke

Duff

And don't give up. I was ready to throw mine away after the first couple of cooks. Thanks to Paymaster and a couple of more guys on here, I got the direction I needed.

XD40CHRIS

Guy's after about 21/2 hours in the temp started to drop, I was near wrap time. I took out the smoking stone and the coals was near out. I had been at 250-260 range prior to that. What did I do wrong ? When I started the coals I went inside to put my rub on the ribs and returned the coals were going pretty good so I put the stone and grates in along with a temp probe. The temp over shot my goal of 250 and was at 300. Got a bit to learn it seems.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I had a hard time with temp control today, they were tasty but a little over. Hopefully I will do a little better next time.
It takes a few times. I can cook on mine for 10 hours on the same run just by controlling the air.

What I do is load it up and light with chunks of oak on and around it. Open the top and the bottom 100%. Watch the temp and when it starts rising, close the lower control to about 25%. Once I get to about 100 degrees before the desired temp, I close off the bottom almost completely and close off the top 50%. You can then open and close the bottom air control to maintain.

Takes a few times but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it just like any smoker.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You probably just shut your vents a little tight or too fast. After a few times, you'll know where to set them to get the temp you want. Mine will run steady temp like an oven pretty much all day once it's set right. Also, it's better to let it come up to temp slowly and start closing the vents down ahead of time instead of letting it run wide open until it reaches temp and then shut them down all at once. That can put it out. And definitely bury some wood chunks in the coals. I usually use three or four nearly fist-sized chunks.

XD40CHRIS

Got it, I will do better. They were good but falling off the bone. Temps were all over the map today. The temp probe was about 75 degrees different over what the gauge on the kooker read, does that sound about right ?

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Got it, I will do better. They were good but falling off the bone. Temps were all over the map today. The temp probe was about 75 degrees different over what the gauge on the kooker read, does that sound about right ?
I dont use a temp probe, too cheap. I have used mine so much that I can usually gauge the time pretty well then use my stick thermometer. But, that does not sound right. I only use the front gauge and it has served me well. As NCH said, slowly bring it up. Bringing it up too fast will get it too hot to cook on sometime and then you are done.

You have a great problem. Learning to use your new cooker! Cook more and you will have it down pat in no time. It's a large time!

Find the sweet spot with top and bottom air then it is all down hill from there.

Tight Lines

Guy's after about 21/2 hours in the temp started to drop, I was near wrap time. I took out the smoking stone and the coals was near out. I had been at 250-260 range prior to that. What did I do wrong ? When I started the coals I went inside to put my rub on the ribs and returned the coals were going pretty good so I put the stone and grates in along with a temp probe. The temp over shot my goal of 250 and was at 300. Got a bit to learn it seems.
You'll get used to it...

Everyone probably has their own method...I put way more charcoal than I'm going to use in mine every time I use it...just add more to what's there and shake it out...I let mine get hot with the lid open and then close the lid and leave the vents open until it gets close to temp then tamp them down...I find that method to be better than trying to come up to temp with the lid closed and just the vents open...

I put the smoking wood on just before I close the lid...and the grate and indirect stone...and a pan of water...that cools it down and stabilizes it and then once it's at temp and smoking steady, add the meat. If it overshoots a bit at the start, it won't really hurt as long as it's no more than say 50 degrees (I smoke most things at 275).

When you add the meat it normally drops some...

Also the probe is in the dome right and the thermo you are using is on the grate? The dome is always going to be hotter than a probe over the indirect stone unless it's directly over the coals...mine are within 25-35 degrees of each other, but I use the grate temp for smoking...it doesn't really matter as long as you are consistent and adjusting based on one vs. both...

There are a ton of great recipes on the Big Green Egg site...

I also use large chunks of wood to smoke, not little chips...my red oak for brisket is the size of a beer can roughly per piece...

Enjoy!

B. White

I'm on my 2nd one since they came out and both gauges averaged about 30 deg off, but varied with weather and if it was sunny or cloudy. For smoking I have always used a thermometer with a probe for the grate and one in the meat that lets me see the temps on my phone.

On my first one I could light the fire on top of the coals and add a couple of hickory chunks and when it got around 175 set the top and bottom to 1 and forget it most of the day. My newer one sometimes takes opening it up a little more. Type and size of charcoal and other things throw in some variation, but like others have said you will get used to it after a couple of runs.

Tight Lines

I'm on my 2nd one since they came out and both gauges averaged about 30 deg off, but varied with weather and if it was sunny or cloudy. For smoking I have always used a thermometer with a probe for the grate and one in the meat that lets me see the temps on my phone.

On my first one I could light the fire on top of the coals and add a couple of hickory chunks and when it got around 175 set the top and bottom to 1 and forget it most of the day. My newer one sometimes takes opening it up a little more. Type and size of charcoal and other things throw in some variation, but like others have said you will get used to it after a couple of runs.
Good point, yes charcoal can make a huge difference...I try to buy the brands with the smallest amount of small pieces...this database is a good resource:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Don't mess with the vents too much. It takes probably 20 minutes for a vent change to take effect. Temp probes don't work on ribs, IMO. Way too thin. I only use temp probes on butts, chicken, turkeys, brisket, and such. Thick pieces of meat. Mine is fairly accurate until you get up over about 350. I actually don't give a flying crap what the actual temp is, just what temp cooks stuff like I like it too. It doesn't matter. On my Akorn, that's usually 250-275 on the Gauge.

Tight Lines

Don't mess with the vents too much. It takes probably 20 minutes for a vent change to take effect. Temp probes don't work on ribs, IMO. Way too thin. I only use temp probes on butts, chicken, turkeys, brisket, and such. Thick pieces of meat. Mine is fairly accurate until you get up over about 350. I actually don't give a flying crap what the actual temp is, just what temp cooks stuff like I like it too. It doesn't matter. On my Akorn, that's usually 250-275 on the Gauge.
Yep agreed, I don't use a probe at all on ribs...just smoke them until they feel tender and have a bark...the bones cause all kinds of errors on a probe...don't use a probe on anything except big meats...brisket, butt, tri tip, turkey...

I do use the grate temp over a foot and pay attention to that number vs. the probe in the dome...that gets hot from the heat rising and has condensation so not the best indicator for the grate temp...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep agreed, I don't use a probe at all on ribs...just smoke them until they feel tender and have a bark...the bones cause all kinds of errors on a probe...don't use a probe on anything except big meats...brisket, butt, tri tip, turkey...

I do use the grate temp over a foot and pay attention to that number vs. the probe in the dome...that gets hot from the heat rising and has condensation so not the best indicator for the grate temp...
There is probably 50-75* difference between the grate and the dome.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. If I'm grilling, it's useful...for smoking I use the grate probe...I've based all my cooks off of that so don't deviate from what works...
I use the gauge on my smoker. I know where it needs to be.