Not hating, just saying. Too much Cami-Cam juice

fairhopebama

I read this article this morning and just wondered what everyone else thinks. I will refrain from comment at this time because I will be accused of hating, flaming, and all other talking points.

DALLAS (105.3 The Fan) Leading off today’s “Buzz:” Heisman Trophy winner, Cam Newton, caused quite a stir when he said that he views himself as more than just a football player: but also as “an entertainer and icon.” He also said that he wants to be the No. 1 overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft and when he was asked to talk about the criticism that he’s only played one good, solid year in college football, he said, “I don’t want to sound arrogant, but I did something in one year that people couldn’t do in their whole collegiate careers.”http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/23/cam-newton-entertainer-

Here is another article on the interview.

Cam Newton Speaks: How His Comments Show His Immaturity By Abdul Yaro (Contributor) on February 24, 2011 - Auburn

Former Auburn University quarterback and 2010 Heisman trophy winner Cam Newton did little this week to dispel rumors that he lacks the character and maturity required to be an elite quarterback and leader in the National Football League.

In a phone interview with Sports Illustrated’s Peter King, Newton delivered this memorable quote:

“I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.”

For a player and his father so intent on generating and sustaining media buzz in the lead up to the NFL Draft in April, his loose grasp of the English language and not his athletic prowess may be his undoing yet.

It’s a snapshot of the mind of an impressionable 20-something-year-old who, despite personal hiccups, has managed to forge a stellar athletic career in a very short period of time, but like most young men his age, he also seems to confuse hubris for confidence.

There’s no doubt that Cam Newton possesses a unique set of athletic skills that any football coach with half a brain would covet, but his latest misstep proves one thing to me—this kid is not ready for prime time.

Over the next month-and-a-half, he’ll be poked and prodded and questioned over and over about his past and plans for his future under what I would assume is the watchful eye of his father, Cecil—the mastermind behind the machine that is Cam.

Kent Horner/Getty Images His response is also another example of a young black athlete and their often inexperienced handlers who don’t know how to navigate and leverage their ability in the hyper-competitive world of professional sports and the media that covers it.

Stick a microphone in front of a guy and he fancies himself the next Bryant Gumbel.

The professional sports landscape is littered with guys like Cam Newton who assume that our love for their on-field performance is the same for their opinions and thoughts. Cam didn’t refer to himself as an “icon” to prop up his own ego; he did it because he doesn’t understand the gravity or meaning of what he just said.

In his mind, he thinks he’s pitching NFL teams the next Michael Jordan, but all they see is the next Keyshawn Johnson demanding to be given the “**** ball.”

No NFL team wants to draft an icon, because for a player in his position, there is no positive spin to it. When distilled, the word infers that he’s a diva, prima donna, high maintenance, and ultimately a player whose No. 1 priority is not football.

However, a hardworking player who plans to be the first person in the building and the last one out, someone who’ll look to the veteran players and coaches for advice on how to thrive in the National Football League, is a much more appealing choice.

Cam Newton has done a masterful job thus far charming us all with his camera-ready smile, biblical teachings and one-liners that have been rehearsed to no end with media handlers.

However, Peter King was fortunate to catch him in an unmasked moment that may reveal more to us than the non-interviews and vapid responses he was able to get away with during the past college football season.

The fact remains that there are a lot of questions about the character of this young man and people he surrounds himself with that have not been answered, and for a player and his family intent on re-writing their own history, this latest statement is a gross error in judgment at a time when they could least afford it.

He’s days away from the biggest job interview of his life, and now every potential employer is under the impression he’s just another arrogant jerk.

Here’s some advice for you Cam: In your case, less is more. Let the actual pros do their jobs and help you, and when they do, stick to the script. Your only goal over the next month-and-a-half should be for teams and fans to hear more from your arms and legs and less from your mouth.

Get a job and contract first, THEN begin to work on becoming an icon.

Follow me on Twitter: @SportsFanaddict

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Can't blame him for wanting to be the number one pick. Can't blame him for wanting to be an entertainer and an icon either, after all, thats what the NFLs best are. And finally, he did do what a lot couldn't in one year, so arrogant or not, he is telling the truth. I don't particularly like him but sounds like he is just speaking his mind and setting some lofty goals, not a terrible thing.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
jackwagon. he represents all that is wrong with sports. I love the "he's just speaking his mind." thing. Really? So no matter how stupid and ill advised a comment is, we should act like it deserves to be taken seriously because he is "speaking his mind"?

Morons like him sound off and speak their mind everyday. That doesn't make it special or profound.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
jackwagon. he represents all that is wrong with sports. I love the "he's just speaking his mind." thing. Really? So no matter how stupid and ill advised a comment is, we should act like it deserves to be taken seriously because he is "speaking his mind"?

Morons like him sound off and speak their mind everyday. That doesn't make it special or profound.

Best player in college football last season undeniably...why can't he say he wants to be the number one pick? He won't be but he is allowed to want to be right? Just like yall say before every season well yeah we want to be undefeated and win an NC, you won't be but you are still allowed to want it right?

Superstars are cocky.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
He earned his spot in the draft, but a good dose of humble pie will be served up to him soon enough. I don't think us denegrating his accomplishments will achieve anything near that of what a few high speed professional defensive backs will.;)

golffreak

High draft and high profile quarterbacks already come into the NFL with a target on their chest. He just made his much larger. There are going to be linebackers and defensive ends licking their chops to give him a dose of reality. And, his team-mates will not appreciate the extra motivation either.

DSGB

Horns

Reading this makes me believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knew Preacher was trying to sell his services. I think he will pay for his cocky attitude.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Best player in college football last season undeniably...why can't he say he wants to be the number one pick? He won't be but he is allowed to want to be right? Just like yall say before every season well yeah we want to be undefeated and win an NC, you won't be but you are still allowed to want it right?

Superstars are cocky.

Post modern twaddle.

I guess it boils down to two totally different mindsets. Call me old fashioned but I am of the school of thought that you don't run your mouth about how great you are. If you are really good, everyone will know it and they will say it. You don't brag. Small people who don't have a whole lot of character brag and call attention to themselves and their accomplishments. I prefer Roger Marris who ran around the bases with his head down, clearly humbled by what he had done to Barry Bonds running his mouth about how good he was and how much he had "gone through" (yes I realize Marris's record had been broken before Bonds set the current "record")

I prefer the Patriots and Steelers approach, show up, play football, work hard, and win to the Jets and Ravens, run your mouth and tell everybody all about it style.

I'm a relatively young guy (33) but I don't like or acceopt the "Nu school" mentality, or genreation Y mentality or whatever these spoiled brats are a part of.

That is one thing I will give Tim Tebow. The guy made everybody look stupid and he did it with class. never once talking about how good he was and how good he was going to be.

You're a Tech fan, Calvin Johson is another model for how it is done. Unbelieveable skills, and unbelieveable maturity and class.

Newton is a punk. If you boys like this sort of thing and think it is just "speaking the truth" or "speaking their mind" then whatever. But don't turn around and complain about how "thuggish" sports are getting and how players think they are owed something as soon as they come into the league.

I'm guessing you also think that coaches like Belachic, Tomlin, and Coghlin should try to "relate" to younger players and let them "show their personality."

LanierSpots

Post modern twaddle.

I guess it boils down to two totally different mindsets. Call me old fashioned but I am of the school of thought that you don't run your mouth about how great you are. If you are really good, everyone will know it and they will say it. You don't brag. Small people who don't have a whole lot of character brag and call attention to themselves and their accomplishments. I prefer Roger Marris who ran around the bases with his head down, clearly humbled by what he had done to Barry Bonds running his mouth about how good he was and how much he had "gone through" (yes I realize Marris's record had been broken before Bonds set the current "record")

I prefer the Patriots and Steelers approach, show up, play football, work hard, and win to the Jets and Ravens, run your mouth and tell everybody all about it style.

I'm a relatively young guy (33) but I don't like or acceopt the "Nu school" mentality, or genreation Y mentality or whatever these spoiled brats are a part of.

That is one thing I will give Tim Tebow. The guy made everybody look stupid and he did it with class. never once talking about how good he was and how good he was going to be.

You're a Tech fan, Calvin Johson is another model for how it is done. Unbelieveable skills, and unbelieveable maturity and class.

Newton is a punk. If you boys like this sort of thing and think it is just "speaking the truth" or "speaking their mind" then whatever. But don't turn around and complain about how "thuggish" sports are getting and how players think they are owed something as soon as they come into the league.

I'm guessing you also think that coaches like Belachic, Tomlin, and Coghlin should try to "relate" to younger players and let them "show their personality."

I agree with most of this. Cam should just keep his mouth shut at this point. He was a great college QB. If he is going to be a great Pro QB. Show everyone. Dont run your mouth about it. He looks like an idiot sometimes. No doubt.

Sometimes mouth opens before brain is engaged.

I felt the same way before the Georgia game last year. AJ Green was making predictions of how Georgia was going to beat Auburn. He should have just kept his mouth shut and done it. Then talked about it.

Trash talking is OK at times but Cams comments were stupid.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I agree with most of this. Cam should just keep his mouth shut at this point. He was a great college QB. If he is going to be a great Pro QB. Show everyone. Dont run your mouth about it. He looks like an idiot sometimes. No doubt.

Sometimes mouth opens before brain is engaged.

I felt the same way before the Georgia game last year. AJ Green was making predictions of how Georgia was going to beat Auburn. He should have just kept his mouth shut and done it. Then talked about it.

Trash talking is OK at times but Cams comments were stupid.

That's all I'm saying. I had forgotten about A.J. doing that (with the way that season turned out I didn't pay much attention to anything those kids were saying.)

Newton was a great college player. I just don't see the necessity or wisdom of HIM telling us that.

I would imagine that guys like James Harrison will read those comments and and file them away for future reference.

LanierSpots

That's all I'm saying. I had forgotten about A.J. doing that (with the way that season turned out I didn't pay much attention to anything those kids were saying.)

Newton was a great college player. I just don't see the necessity or wisdom of HIM telling us that.

I would imagine that guys like James Harrison will read those comments and and file them away for future reference.

I would imagine some of it is coming from his personality. He is very confident and lets it overflow at times and some of it is that he is probably getting tired of everyone wanting him to fail and saying he will fail.

Either way. Shut your mouth. Do the job and then you can run around the stadium with your hand over your mouth like he has done before.

Afterwards if he must do it.

Not before

Nitram4891

Flop Thief

I agree on let your actions on and off the field speak for themselves. I just don't think it's outrageous and worth peoples panties getting wadded up that he made those comments. Funny you mention Tebow, I was thinking the same thing and Calvin is another pretty good example. NFL has plenty of old school types and plenty of entertainers (TO, Ochocinco, etc...). As a fan I enjoy watching both as long as they are good on the field.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I agree on let your actions on and off the field speak for themselves. I just don't think it's outrageous and worth peoples panties getting wadded up that he made those comments. Funny you mention Tebow, I was thinking the same thing and Calvin is another pretty good example. NFL has plenty of old school types and plenty of entertainers (TO, Ochocinco, etc...). As a fan I enjoy watching both as long as they are good on the field.

If you want to see this as "panties in a wad" so be it. And the fact that you like those two idiots Owens and Johnson tells me what I already knew. I watch sports for the athletics and competiton. "Drama" and "entertainment" should be left up to pro wrestling. I'm not watching these guys to see their personalities. In the words of Art Donovan, "It's a football game for crying out loud!!" Reality shows are for losers.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
If you want to see this as "panties in a wad" so be it. And the fact that you like those two idiots Owens and Johnson tells me what I already knew. I watch sports for the athletics and competiton. "Drama" and "entertainment" should be left up to pro wrestling. I'm not watching these guys to see their personalities. In the words of Art Donovan, "It's a football game for crying out loud!!" Reality shows are for losers.

Where did I say I liked TO or 85? I said they are entertainers and I like watching all types of player ON THE FIELD. You are the best at putting words in peoples mouths. And I'm not saying people here are up in arms, I'm talking about the sports writers who wrote those stories. That guy in the second article seemed pretty fired up.

LanierSpots

I admit I am partial to both the talkers and the doers. But for Cam, too many eyes on him right now. He should just shut up and play.

It really depends on who it is.. Like SGD said, he forgot that AJ ran his mouth. He, and many others, will not forget that Cam ran his.

Im actually Ok with the Ocho and TO show on and off the field. Both are great receivers and have shown that. On the other hand, I would not want to be eithers team mate