Old vs New

There is no doubt that technology and technological advances are great and can really make life easier. I love the trail camera. It helps me gauge what I have on the property and gives me incentive to hold off on a mature deer if I know they are around. With that being said, what are your takes on the other gadgets available in the hunting industry.

The new scent crusher bag, closet, truck adapter and ozonics. Does it work or just someone trying to make money?

Are you a believer in Scent lok or scent blocker or do you spray your hunting clothes and keep the wind in your face?

Do you like trail cameras or think it has hurt the hunting industry into becoming nothing but a who can kill the biggest deer?

the latest Sitka gear that costs $400 for a jacket and pants or your old trusty plaid flannel with a coat from your local Wal-Mart/Academy.

Buck grub, C'Mere Deer, BIG n J, do you rely on it to bring deer in, or do you hold out and wait for the natural food source/ or planted crops to supply your deer herd?

In general, do you think all this is just a huge marketing strategy to make money and not truly help your odds or do you think all this has made hunting easier to help your chances of bagging that pope and young/ B&C whitetail?

Trying to kill time until the bow opener! I have what works for me, just curious to see other opinions and success/failures with some of the points listed above .

Last edited:

Rich M

Long story short - take your time and get what you want to get. Don't go broke doing it but buy some here and there. Soon enough you'll have too much camo, too many boots, and too many bows/guns/etc.

Most of my stuff is over 10 years old with some of it being over 30 years old. Take care of it and it doesn't go bad.

I did just recently get a pair of coveralls from Gander Mtn for $20 during their close-out. That and a couple hats, some scent/UV free laundry detergent, two pair of boots, and some other stuff. Didn't spend a lot and feel like I saved a few bucks. That's how I prefer to shop.

As for deer hunting - keep the wind in your face or at least angling towards you, play the thermals, and sit still.

Esau

I do what makes me happy and adds to my enjoyment of the outdoors. I wear what is warm/cool depending on the weather. Some of it is camo some not. I hunt with a long bow and a traditional muzzle loader. I have an inline and I use it if shots are longer. I use a Remington 700 in 30-06, sometimes. I don't put out feed/ attractants, but I do plant food plots. The only scent control I use is the wind. My daughter; who is a teenager, has a saying I think applies here. "you do you, boo boo" So do what makes you happy as long as it is legal and doesn't negatively effect others.

transfixer

I like trail cameras just to see whats in the area, I'm not about killing the biggest buck, I hunt for the enjoyment of being in the woods, sitting around a campfire, enjoying the hunting experience with good friends, I've got some camouflage, none of the expensive kind, I've got good thermals and boots so I can stay comfortable in the stand, I'm not big on all the gimmics, rattle bags, calls, etc, I've killed many a deer wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt, without scent killer ! Whatever works for you! I think about 90% of the stuff sold to deer hunters are just marketing hype,, designed to relieve your wallet more than stock your freezer.

280bst

I like trail cameras to me amazing what goes on in the woods most of the other stuff is gimmick's in my opinion some of my stuff is from Big G in Athens to give you a idea how old some of my stuff is some grunts and calls work well used to use watered down turpentine for cover scent and worked just as well. The biggest gimmick is that butt pulley out thing read the directions on it why would Any body buy that thing. If you listen to Primos you would have to pack a tractor trailer the night before ya leave. Keep it simple use common cents and enjoy yourself don't over think it Good Luck

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The older I get the more old school I get. Less is more for me these days.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Earth toned muted color clothes, wool in cold weather, single shot rifle patented in 1885, and I take no scent precautions of any kind. I do use the best high quality optics I can afford in my scope and binoculars.

I hunt in a style to suit only myself. As all hunters should do. How anyone else hunts or what they use is of no concern to me.

swamp hunter

I'm also a Minimalist...4 rounds , water , and snacks.BDU's from Nam , No Scent anything unless you count the Hot sauce on the biskit.
Big Venison Biskit with cheese and onions from last years kills works real nice on them Frosty mornings.
My Huntin Pard has 4 of everything and carry's a rut sack slap full.
I think he's crazy...We're only going till Noon..
But if I need something , He's got 2 of them.
And he's 20 years younger , 6,2: West Pointer so you just know he's good to do the Drag Out....winning.

Hillbilly stalker

Green dickie work pants, earth tone t-shirt, 4 foot of drag rope and a gutting knife. I follow the little piece of dental floss tied to the end of my bow or rifle all season, works for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty old-school most of the time, but I hunt with everything from primitive bows, arrows, and points that I make myself to scoped bolt-actions and AR-15s, depending on the mood I'm in and where I'm at. I kill the majority of my deer with traditional muzzleloaders.

I don't care much for gadgets and gimmicks. I consider them mostly useless. I use no scent control products except the wind. Most of my hunting clothes are old and cheap. Some are Vietnam-era Woodland surplus. I like wool or fleece for cold weather-it is commonly in the teens here during deer season.

I don't carry much junk into the woods with me when I'm deer hunting. Weapon/ammo, drag rope, maybe a grunt call sometimes, that's about it. Sometimes I tote a small pair of compact binoculars.

I like trailcams. Not so much to target deer, I just enjoy seeing what all is out there. I am not a trophy hunter, and I don't target or name individual deer. I enjoy hunting, and I enjoy eating venison.

deerhuntingdawg

I use a trail cam some but just for fun and a way to kill the time until the season starts. I sometimes wonder if the trail cams take the imagination out of deer hunting. Not knowing what surprises your woods contain is part of the excitement that gets us to the stand.
I also have used the same rifle since 1997 and it kills them just fine. I only get new camo when my current stuff begins to fall apart. Somehow, I still kill and see mature bucks on regularity...

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I'm also a Minimalist...4 rounds , water , and snacks.BDU's from Nam , No Scent anything unless you count the Hot sauce on the biskit.
Big Venison Biskit with cheese and onions from last years kills works real nice on them Frosty mornings.
My Huntin Pard has 4 of everything and carry's a rut sack slap full.
I think he's crazy...We're only going till Noon..
But if I need something , He's got 2 of them.
And he's 20 years younger , 6,2: West Pointer so you just know he's good to do the Drag Out....winning.

:rofl:

You da man, swamp!

I've always hunted in woodland camo BDUs, or a pair of jeans and dark colored shirt. I've never bought into the hype of the latest camo craze, or latest must-have gadget craze. There is some very nice styles of camo we have to choose from these days, but I am more than happy with my woodland camo. Some of my camo is over 20 years old, and I still wear it today. I always bought a size a little larger, this way I could wear them over warm clothes when it got cold.

My two tree-climbers are the buckshot Cadillac climbers I've had since about 1990. Before that, my first ever climber was a Warren & Sweat Rifleman dad bought me in the mid 80s. Never owned any other type of climber. I do have some homemade ladder stands that dad made. But I mostly hunt out of my climber or from the ground.

I never use any type of attractant scent, but I may occasionally spray down with a cover scent during hot weather. I truly believe those store-bought scents can do you more harm than good. I did use a lot of that stuff when I was younger, even used those scent pads you wore on your boots. I would use Tink's red fox pee scent, or skunk scent. And when I was done walking through my hunting area, I would pull the pads up to the side of my boots. Man, it stunk around camp back then! :bounce:

Other than my guns, I don't own any modern type of hunting gadget. No trail-cams or GPS system. I may one day, though. I still primarily hunt with my youth model 7 .243 that dad bought for my 13th birthday, back in 1983. And I don't shoot a fancy high-dollar box of bullets either. No, I shoot Remington 100Gr. Core-Loks, always have, always will. I don't fool with what I've had success with.

And there's nothing at all wrong with using the latest and greatest hunting gadget/tool. If you find they work for you, more power to you. I've been a pretty successful hunter. Why would I change now? Find what works for you, and if you believe in it, stick with it. Most importantly, be safe and enjoy yourself in the great outdoors.

garveywallbanger

Porta Climb Caddilac Climber...Black Diamond Climbing Harness...Rubber Boots...Vanilla Extract...Bushnell Backtracker GPS...Gerber Profile Knife...Skeeter Net...Thermo Cell...Brite Eyes and Flag Tape...Pocket Bible...2 Screw Hooks to use as rifle rests...Gatorade Bottle full of water...Waist pack...extra flashlight...snack...candy...gloves and reading glasses.

Gbr5pb

Do like having warm clothes and a more comfortable stand but as others said you don't need most of that stuff and some of the stuff they sell sorta stupid

bilgerat

Senior
Im a old school guy too, if it don't fit in My pocket I don't need it. A knife, drag rope, grunt call and TP. Only gadgets I use is a therma cell, and permanone, I hate sketters n ticks

old school ... new school

y'all know I am easy to confuse.

I hunt in camo, I don't retire it until it doesn't fit or I have torn it up. I do wash my clothes a second time without soap. No dryer sheets....ever.

I hunt with a modern center fire rifle rem 700 .270. I don't like to chase them so I try to shoot them in a way they don't go far.

I spray down with scent killer if I have some, I spray down with insect spray every time. So, I'm not real sure any of the scent killer is doing much good.

I have a "spot' for all 4 wind directions and hunt accordingly.

I do not pee out of the stand. I take a bottle with me and bring it out when I leave.

I'm not the best that's ever been, but I'm good enough that I get an opportunity at a mature deer pretty regular.

I don't hunt food plots but I plant them every year. I hunt where the deer are, in the thick cover with plenty of browse.

I hunt as high in the tree as I can get without getting scared. Most times about 25 ft. I hunt out of a climbing stand....at 57 years old.

I do not shoot does during rifle season until after thanksgiving, and only then if I still need some sausage.

I still love the challenge of matching wits with an old mature whitetail buck. When it gets where it ain't fun anymore I will fish more and deer hunt less.

I will turkey hunt as long as I can walk and breath.

s&r

snookdoctor

Just something to think about....

Probably the most successful deer killing combo of all time would be blue jeans, red flannel shirt, and a 30-30 rifle, used by someone sitting on the ground, or on a tree limb.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
upgraded boots, and stands. decent weapon. decent scope. decent bow equip. everything else- wing it