Panthers?

jdgator

There were a couple of females that wandered up into South Georgia in 1993 when Florida did the release of 10 (I believe that`s right) in the Osceola National Forest to see if the habitat would support them. Couple of toms did too.

I believe it was (is) assumed that the region spanning from Osceola NF through the Okefenokee Swamp could support the nucleus of a viable population. But the biggest impediment is fear & misinformation. It would be interesting to find out if public attitudes toward panther re-introduction have changed since then.

buckpasser

OP, you I know where you’re located and I can assure you, if there were a panther to choose Brooks county, that wouldn’t be the part of it they’d stay in! One of our deacons lives right there close to you and he sees them “all the time”. The neighbor lady at the farm sees them regularly on us. Somehow, I foothold trap and literally run ten cell cams all year long, work there everyday, and I just keep getting shafted on seeing them, ever.

I think it’s just “common knowledge” that we’re eat up with panthers around here (not), so people just feel comfortable saying they heard or saw one. If you’ll notice, it’ll be the least woodsy folks claiming the most sightings. I’m not dumb enough to say it’s impossible, but I am saying that 99.99999% of the stories in this neck of the woods can be discounted.

Waddams

Not certain exactly what it is, but it definitely looks like a big cat. Taken by my trail cam 10/2, 7:39am. Not far from Rayle, GA.

I'd thought it was too tall to be a bobcat, but I don't see a tail either. There were 900+ pics of deer, a few hogs, and whatever this is. Only pic like it.

Might also be bigfoot pretending to be something else. ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-201956_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-201956_Photos.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 60

Athos

Don’t believe a word these folks from the DNR or other government/elitist power brokers say. Plenty of panthers out there. Used to be almost covered up with them until the bigfeet started expanding their range, which pushed the black panthers underground.

SakoL61R

Anyone aware of any big kitty sightings in/around the Savannah National Wildlife refuge?

buckpasser

Not certain exactly what it is, but it definitely looks like a big cat. Taken by my trail cam 10/2, 7:39am. Not far from Rayle, GA.

I'd thought it was too tall to be a bobcat, but I don't see a tail either. There were 900+ pics of deer, a few hogs, and whatever this is. Only pic like it.

Might also be bigfoot pretending to be something else. ;-)

You can set an mb550 right there and have yourself a very handsome bobcat next time he comes through. Some of them I catch are really big. Big enough to look like a true “big cat”.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sister saw one a few times in their back pasture. She's in Sarasota county about a mile from Myakka State Park. That would be a little north of there like you said. Long way from Ga but I suppose they would eventually have to expand their range as their numbers increase. Being protected and an apex predator. Probably not this far in my lifetime but with the continued protection I would think it inevitable.
Myakka has lots of wildlife!
I grew up in Bradenton, but my sighting was north in Sun City……it was a full grown one too! That was back in 1988-90ish……plenty of time for them to reach the lands up here. I just don’t see why they wouldn’t.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Waddams,
Walk behind the same tree and get your pic took. It will give you a size perspective. Body is shaped like a bobcat to me. Tail would be as long as his body.