Panthers?

Mackie889

Hi everyone. I purchased a farm property in Brooks County, North of Valdosta. I spoke w/ a lady at the feed store in town that says she used to live in the house that is on our land. She swears she heard on one occasion, and saw one on another occasion a panther on the property we own several years ago. The deer population seems very low for being row crop land. I was wondering if anyone has seen or gotten trail cam pictures of Florida panthers in South Ga? Is it possible that there are panthers around and that could be the reason for the low deer numbers? I’ve had a couple of game cams out and have yet to get a pic of one so far. Thanks for any replies

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Hi everyone. I purchased a farm property in Brooks County, North of Valdosta. I spoke w/ a lady at the feed store in town that says she used to live in the house that is on our land. She swears she heard on one occasion, and saw one on another occasion a panther on the property we own several years ago. The deer population seems very low for being row crop land. I was wondering if anyone has seen or gotten trail cam pictures of Florida panthers in South Ga? Is it possible that there are panthers around and that could be the reason for the low deer numbers? I’ve had a couple of game cams out and have yet to get a pic of one so far. Thanks for any replies
It’s very possible. There have been sightings of panthers in Georgia. One was killed in Troup county. https://gon.com/news/wild-panther-confirmed-in-georgia

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Its just a fact.
We do not have a breeding population of panthers in Ga.

2008 proved that you could see one here in Ga. Just like you said though. The man started getting pictures of a panther on his trail camera walking down a deer trail. Later that week hes sitting in stand on the trail. Here comes same cat walking buy.

Everywhere theres a breeding population. Theres trail cam pics. they get hit by cars etc. etc.
You can look on hunting forums from western states just like this one. plenty of trail cam pics.

Look up "trail cam pickup" on you tube by Tim harrell.
He gets picks of them regularly when he does episodes from there known locations.

treemanjohn

Banned
They have legs. I saw one at 50 yards in Cohutta about 20 years ago scouting for bear with my dad. We watched it for 15 minutes. He swore he had one tear up one of his plott coon dogs in the 60s

Mackie889

Brooks county. Low deer population!
Never heard that one. Guess the panthers are eating good this year.
Look at the deer harvest for each County from DNR. Brooks ... only 1.38-2.15 deer harvested per square mile.
Looks like the average County is about double that (3.15-3.77). Not blaming panthers (don’t really believe they are there), but the population for the County seems to be lower than most.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Look at the deer harvest for each County from DNR. Brooks ... only 1.38-2.15 deer harvested per square mile.
Looks like the average County is about double that (3.15-3.77). Not blaming panthers (don’t really believe they are there), but the population for the County seems to be lower than most.
Guess we need to ignore the big bucks coming from there. A lot not reported properly! Why is this area in big demand to lease. I wouldn’t report big kills either. ?. But what do I know. Oh several that hunt there.
Brooks county is just fine.

Mackie889

Guess we need to ignore the big bucks coming from there. A lot not reported properly! Why is this area in big demand to lease. I wouldn’t report big kills either. ?. But what do I know. Oh several that hunt there.
Brooks county is just fine.
We weren’t talking about big bucks ... it was population. Big bucks are the reason I bought land there, so we agree on that. Cheers!