Paul’s conversion

stringmusic

Why do you think Paul converted?

Why do you think he chose to go from Roman citizenship to being put in prison?

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Why do you think Paul converted?

String??? ::ke: String??? It that really you?

Just off the top of my head: seeing a crucified Jesus, alive, in all his Heavenly splendor, and speaking personally to him, conversing back and forth with him. That will get a persons attention. Put things in perspective, so-to-speak.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
The Jews rejected Paul after he failed to carry out his deeds to persecute the followers of Jesus. Paul's "come to Jesus moment" may very well have taken place (IE:he invented it) after he new he was in a bad way with the Jews in order to appeal to the Gentiles. More inspiration to teach the Gentiles his way about Jesus was because he did not get along with James and Peter and the way they kept Judaism traditions intertwined within the Jerusalem Church.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
"When it pleased God to reveal His Son in me..."
Good conversation, String. Paul saw something that turned his world upside down.
Yup. God was the one who revealed Jesus to Paul. He was not converted by the preaching of any other teacher. Second, after Paul's conversion, he was not trained by the apostles. He went off by himself and learned about Christ from Christ.

Galatians 2:11–14 describes a difficult moment, when Paul was forced to confront another apostle for hypocritical behavior. Though Peter has declared his agreement that salvation is by faith in Christ and not the law, he seems hesitant to live out that truth if disapproving people are watching him. Peter's choice to step away from eating with Gentiles leads all the Jewish people in the room to do the same. For the sake of the true gospel, Paul opposes Peter to his face, calling out his hypocrisy. Peter had been ''living like a Gentile,'' by eating with them. How could he force any Gentile, then, to live under the law?

Paul's point to his accusers was that he was a full apostle, by God's own calling and grace, and not because of any close association with the apostles in and around Jerusalem.

In the previous verses, Paul also showed he was preaching the same gospel truth as the other apostles. In fact, Peter, James, and John had given to him and Barnabas their full approval.

Israel

BANNED
"In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye..." Paul testified to the believer's change.

The work of God begins and ends in same fashion, and in all progression the same...in the love of the One appearing to the loving of the one appeared to. The turning of dark (and what is darkened) to light.

Interesting that Paul had no testimony of such encounters with God prior to his testimony of Christ's intervention on the road. No "when I was a child, young or older man in my pursuits as a Jew...God once spoke to me" or "showed such and such."

Yet once Christ appeared in cast of light he understood. And... both backward and forward. In that light he saw the progression of himself, of man, of all men.

He was able to write "I was alive once apart from the law, but when the commandment came sin revived, and I died..." He understood the workings of things in man ordained of God to man's knowing so that in identity with, and in Adam (as all men's natural father) they could (each man) learn of God's working...from ground up. Each fashioned first of clay the dust of the earth. Into the which heart of...Jesus descended.

This is both experiential and experimental. Jesus describes the experiment, but neither dares us nor challenges us to it. It is what is all of necessary to knowing.

If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Paul, being chosen by manifestly relentless pursuit of the Pursuer

"it is hard to kick against the goads..."

was no less then, appointed to it, such relentlessness. He knew this drive, this motivation, this doggedness to know the grace and mercy of God revealed in and through Jesus Christ alone...was a gift despite the places it took him, the things he suffered, the things he appeared to lose in pursuit...which all came to be counted as nothing. And so much so that he was not shy in speaking of things that, even if hard to understand...or even receive that:

and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Being robbed of any will or desire to persuade by his own cleverness left him in total reliance upon He who was persuading him.

He had learned that Jesus Christ alone took him to the One He had promised, even as He had promised; to show..."I will show you whom you should fear..."

And, in being made as a spectacle, as the offscourings, the scum of the earth and even as a man (and men) sentenced to death (1 Cor 4:9-13)

He understood how the appearance of such debasement worked toward life.

Knowing the terror of the Lord we persuade men.

stringmusic

String??? ::ke: String??? It that really you?
Lol, yes sir it is. Don’t come around much anymore but for some reason I’ve had this question on my mind for some of the A/A’s in here. Hope y’all are doing well!

Just off the top of my head: seeing a crucified Jesus, alive, in all his Heavenly splendor, and speaking personally to him, conversing back and forth with him. That will get a persons attention. Put things in perspective, so-to-speak.
Yea I’d figure that’s what most Christians would conclude after reading Gods words through Paul’s writings. Figure I’d throw the question out there in this forum to gets some thoughts on it.

Last edited:

stringmusic

The Jews rejected Paul after he failed to carry out his deeds to persecute the followers of Jesus. Paul's "come to Jesus moment" may very well have taken place (IE:he invented it) after he new he was in a bad way with the Jews in order to appeal to the Gentiles. More inspiration to teach the Gentiles his way about Jesus was because he did not get along with James and Peter and the way they kept Judaism traditions intertwined within the Jerusalem Church.
Where did you get this information from? Is it your personal theory?

I’m honestly just looking for how the A/A’s see such a life changing event for someone like Paul, who by worldly standards “had it all” and chose to follow Jesus instead.

Btw, you still headed to Wisconsin to kill some birds this year? Me and my dad are flying out this Saturday to try to kill some Rio’s in Kansas, really excited about it!

stringmusic

Scroll down to Pauline Christians, it gives some insight to the answers you are asking String. The whole page is informative also.
https://www.badnewsaboutchristianity.com/bb0_paul.htm
I would surely expect to see something written like this on a website called “badnewsaboutchristianity”
he generally comes over as a trouble-making, complaining, self-seeking misogynist who was clearly out of step with the 12 apostles. Of the many Christians regarded as trouble-makers, the one who caused most trouble was undoubtedly Paul. After his conversion he seems to have developed the knack of creating vast amounts of bad feeling.
This is simply not true and the opinion of an agnostic/atheist on the internet, which is not surprising at all. Reading this in the first paragraph doesn’t give me much hope for the rest of the article. Maybe you could highlight or quote the part you think gives the best answer to why Paul went from murdering Christians to becoming one?

Last edited:

SemperFiDawg

Figure I’d throw the question out there in this forum to gets some thoughts on it.

Heatstroke makes for good visions.

As you can see, you haven't missed a thing. BTW. good to see you Brother. I hope you and your loved ones are blessed daily as I am.

Last edited:

stringmusic

As you can see, you haven't missed a thing. BTW. good to see you Brother. I hope you and your loved ones are blessed daily as I am.
Lol, I just skipped over that one.

Yes we are!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Where did you get this information from? Is it your personal theory?

I’m honestly just looking for how the A/A’s see such a life changing event for someone like Paul, who by worldly standards “had it all” and chose to follow Jesus instead.

Btw, you still headed to Wisconsin to kill some birds this year? Me and my dad are flying out this Saturday to try to kill some Rio’s in Kansas, really excited about it!
No WI for me this spring.
Best of luck to you in Kansas. Let me know how you and your Father do.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I would surely expect to see something written like this on a website called “badnewsaboutchristianity”

This is simply not true and the opinion of an agnostic/atheist on the internet, which is not surprising at all. Reading this in the first paragraph doesn’t give me much hope for the rest of the article. Maybe you could highlight or quote the part you think gives the best answer to why Paul went from murdering Christians to becoming one?
Where did you expect to find stories that go against what you claim?
"This is simply not true" What is that based off of?
If you only read the "Pro" that backs up your beliefs you are only getting one side of the story that is equally as biased as the "Con".
I post these so they are read in their entirety so that the reader can take in the full amount of information that includes information as to why rather than cherry pick a few key points and then I have to go back to the article and post what was already written and would be answered had it been read.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No, no conversions in here SFD. You will hear things that you do not agree with. I am a-ok with listening to your counter to it if you can include some evidence that backs it up.
If you listen to Paul's own account he had a vision in a hot desert that nobody else saw or heard. Could be heat stroke.
John Smith had a vision. David Koresh had a vision. Many claim to have visions saying that Jesus visited them. If there is something that is more believable about Paul's and you can give examples about please do.

SemperFiDawg

No, no conversions in here SFD. You will hear things that you do not agree with. I am a-ok with listening to your counter to it if you can include some evidence that backs it up.

I've long since given up on discussing truth with anyone who has no regard for it, be it politics, religion, weather, etc. The most impenetrable object in existence is a closed mind, so I will pass on your offer and you can foist up the "See! No evidence." banner, because in truth, no amount of evidence CAN penetrate a closed mind.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I've long since given up on discussing truth with anyone who has no regard for it, be it politics, religion, weather, etc. The most impenetrable object in existence is a closed mind, so I will pass on your offer and you can foist up the "See! No evidence." banner.
Sfd you have never ever even given a solid try. The answer above has been your go to answer for the entire time that we have crossed paths in here. Your "truth" is solely what you believe to be true with zero facts or evidence to back it up. Anyone who disagrees with you is automatically shunned for discussion.
You have never even held a lengthy conversation in here with anyone where you even tried to make a statement and then backed that statement up. All you've ever done when pressed to present "your side" is bow out as if it is beneath you. As if you hold the key to all knowledge but typing that out it is too taxing all the while you are typing and excuse to bail out in a way that you think is noble.
You have a non believer in front of you. You claim to know the truth. You are in a forum where you can lay out all your knowledge and bedazzle the non believers that are in here. Well, go for it.
I'll agree with you that nothing has changed as your participation is the same as it ever was. You've already given your vague pot shot, this is usually where you make it more personal then bail.

If you have something I'll listen. Enlighten me.