Perennial Clover

SWAMPFOX

I'm looking to plant a 1/2 plot in a perennial clover, either Duranna or Ladino. I'm in planting zone 8b near Swainsboro, Ga. My question is will these clovers do well in my area or will the summer heat be a limiting factor?
Thanks

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Get your soil test done and prep the soil to have a 6.0+ph.

P&K are very important, so work those in the soil too, now

Get your weeds and grasses under control this spring and summer

Is the plot shaded?

Establish your clover in early October and I would go with a mix of crimson, Durana and a medium red clover. Crimson should be available by the pound, Durana can be bought in 5 pound bags and if you can find a medium red clover by the pound, get some of that too. For me, medium red clover has a longer root system and seems to handle summers well, but, Durana is great, once it gets going.

Attachments

• White Clover Establishment.JPG
    White Clover Establishment.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    Medium red clover 9-3-2021-1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Clover soil-1.JPG
    Clover soil-1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Clover soil.JPG
    Clover soil.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 4
  • Durana Graph.JPG
    Durana Graph.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
  • shade clover.JPG
    shade clover.JPG
    101.5 KB · Views: 7
  • soil ph map.JPG
    soil ph map.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 7
  • White Clover suitability map for climate and soil.JPG
    White Clover suitability map for climate and soil.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 7

Canuck5

Oh and establish your clover with either wheat or oats, this fall.

Attachments

• Cool season seed.JPG
    Cool season seed.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 2

Canuck5

And the quantities listed above, for the cool season combo's, are for Pure Live Seed PLS

davel

I have a Durana plot that is going into the 4th year. As Canuck said, plant with a nurse crop of wheat or oats in the fall. I added chicory and red clover as well. You could add some crimson too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
All you have to do here to get a permanent patch of white clover that will last the rest of your life is to plant some lawn grass and wait a year. You don't even have to buy clover seed.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
All you have to do here to get a permanent patch of white clover that will last the rest of your life is to plant some lawn grass and wait a year. You don't even have to buy clover seed.

Truth and I got the pics to prove it. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

rstallings1979

I'm looking to plant a 1/2 plot in a perennial clover, either Duranna or Ladino. I'm in planting zone 8b near Swainsboro, Ga. My question is will these clovers do well in my area or will the summer heat be a limiting factor?
Thanks
I have durana plots on my Emanuel county farm...they are fine in the late fall/winter/spring but you will need to feed the deer something else when the heat of summer hits....plot pictured is full of durana and feeds the turkey and deer regularly this time of year.

Attachments

• 860322064426445-50-4-02212024105712-W1014932.jpg
    860322064426445-50-4-02212024105712-W1014932.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 16