Performance treadmill vs. being gifted with Life from dead works

StriperAddict

Much of Christianity presents knowing God as a lifestyle that enlists us in new spiritual disciplines, tells us we need to learn new lingo, and requires involvement in church sponsored activities.

At first it feels exciting to be part of something new and it feels good to be included in something bigger than ourselves.

But as the newness wears off and reality begins to set in, we soon learn we are under pressure to perform...or suffer the consequences.

If you don’t think I’m telling the truth when I say there is underlying pressure to learn and conform to a new set of church practices, try an experiment...with your church.

First, stop doing all those things your church promises will make you closer to God.
Worse, tell a bunch of people at church those things aren’t necessary and may even be a hindrance to your and their spiritual progress...then watch what happens.

You know as well as I do, it won’t be long after doing the above, and doing it comfortably, you will become “persona-non-grata!”

Are you convinced yet that your church, however “soft” the sales pitch, has sold you the idea that Christianity is your taking up a church oriented lifestyle with new practices?

Do you agree to the extent you’ve bought into the idea that practicing those things purported to make you closer to God, you may have put yourself and those you love under an undue burden and unnecessary pressure?

I’m hoping you’re getting this.

So....if true Christianity isn't God handing you a list of new practices that he requires you familiarize yourself with and do in order to have his acceptance along with the acceptance of your peer group, a list that adds unnecessary stress to your life, then what is real Christianity?

It’s hearing a message about a savior who died and rose to make us right with God, who wants to live in us, making our load feel lighter and enriching our lives from the inside out.

True Christianity is not about adding pressure to your already pressure filled life, it’s about taking the burden off you to perform for God.

It’s about Jesus doing all the work at the cross to gain you Gods acceptance as a free gift so you could be relieved of the duty.

It’s about Jesus life being lived on the inside of you, not to empower you to fulfill Gods new requirements on your life, but to enrich your life from the inside out.

Could it be that God wants to enrich our lives with his never leaving always lasting presence living inside us?

Could it be that knowing God is much simpler and easier for us than Christianity has told us?

Could it be that Jesus has done all the work needed to make a permanent spiritual rest available from the burden of our hard labor to please God?

It could be.

And it is.
-------------------------------

By Eric Rukin

Big7

The Oracle
Yes. The pressure is DEFINITELY "on" !!

Seemed to me, a LOT of times brings to questions like "why would a loving God allow this, that and the other to "happen"?

Then, I'm reminded of what Scripture teaches of Adam & Eve.

Fortunately, that train of thinking doesn't last long at all.

But.... I'll say for ME, the stress and pressure is very real. That's where Faith comes in.?

gordon 2

I'm always amazed how these treads always start with beating up the assembly by describing it as sick and then offering remedy with a simple outlook. Believers are like husbands that can always be improved-- where there is no end to their faults and no limits to the improvements.

But I know that the good doctors are more sick than their patients because when their boots hit the road they walk with the strong indifferent to those who are sick with their plagues.

(The Animals and The Plague)

Once upon a time a severe plague raged among the animals. Many died, and those who lived were so ill, that they cared for neither food nor drink, and dragged themselves about listlessly. No longer could a fat young hen tempt Master Fox to dinner, nor a tender lamb rouse greedy Sir Wolf’s appetite.

At last the Lion decided to call a council. When all the animals were gathered together he arose and said:

“Dear friends, I believe the gods have sent this plague upon us as a punishment for our sins. Therefore, the most guilty one of us must be offered in sacrifice. Perhaps we may thus obtain forgiveness and cure for all.

“I will confess all my sins first. I admit that I have been very greedy and have devoured many sheep. They had done me no harm. I have eaten goats and bulls and stags. To tell the truth, I even ate up a shepherd now and then.

“Now, if I am the most guilty, I am ready to be sacrificed. But I think it best that each one confess his sins as I have done. Then we can decide in all justice who is the most guilty.”

“Your majesty,” said the Fox, “you are too good. Can it be a crime to eat sheep, such stupid mutton heads? No, no, your majesty. You have done them great honor by eating them up.

“And so far as shepherds are concerned, we all know they belong to that puny race that pretends to be our masters.”

All the animals applauded the Fox loudly. Then, though the Tiger, the Bear, the Wolf, and all the savage beasts recited the most wicked deeds, all were excused and made to appear very saint-like and innocent.

It was now the ***’s turn to confess.

“I remember,” he said guiltily, “that one day as I was passing a field belonging to some priests, I was so tempted by the tender grass and my hunger, that I could not resist nibbling a bit of it. I had no right to do it, I admit—”

A great uproar among the beasts interrupted him. Here was the culprit who had brought misfortune on all of them! What a horrible crime it was to eat grass that belonged to someone else! It was enough to hang anyone for, much more an ***.

Immediately they all fell upon him, the Wolf in the lead, and soon had made an end to him, sacrificing him to the gods then and there, and without the formality of an altar.

Moral

The weak are made to suffer for the misdeeds of the powerful.​

Israel

BANNED
Do you know how when each of us fell in love...we thought we were putting Romeo and Juliette to shame...as though we had discovered it...and surely none other could have ever known it like this?

Often I am persuaded...the things we write...say...feel provoked to testimony in, are made so fresh to ourselves (as well they should be) that we may speak as though it seems "none other could have ever known this".

Grace, grace and more grace we discover...as we find...we need...as we speak...we need...as we testify...we need.

StriperAddict

And such grace satisfies, amen.

StriperAddict

Since Jesus Christ was the fulfillment of the Fathers commandment of love - to love,
Then we are His bullseye so to speak, we get to reflect this same love to a fallen world. Not of our works of religious flesh, and neither behavioral perfect, but from His love. The big within.
Even in our not meeting our own expectations, let alone the religious community at large - how can we "loose?" Especially when He promised to never leave nor forsake?
In some answers to grace there is a rotten foul smell of duty bound flesh in another offering. Yet there's only One that releases believing hearts from the death their unbelief has fashioned.

He says be wise as serpents (boasting in the Lord) and innocent as doves (boasting in our weakness) that the (Indwelling) power of God may rest upon us.

? Having begun in the Spirit, why seek perfection in the flesh ?

Just as you received Christ (by grace thru faith), so walk in Him ... by His same grace thru faith. Simple, yet profound.

Madman

Are you convinced yet that your church, however “soft” the sales pitch, has sold you the idea that Christianity is your taking up a church oriented lifestyle with new practices?
Never been given a "sales pitch" nor have I given one. I don't understand.

Could it be that God wants to enrich our lives with his never leaving always lasting presence living inside us?

Could it be that knowing God is much simpler and easier for us than Christianity has told us?

Could it be that Jesus has done all the work needed to make a permanent spiritual rest available from the burden of our hard labor to please God?

Or could it be that God is just trying to conform His children to the likeness of His Son?

StriperAddict

Never been given a "sales pitch" nor have I given one. I don't understand.

Or could it be that God is just trying to conform His children to the likeness of His Son?
Always, but it's the renewing of the mind. Those old beliefs about separation have to go in light of the free transformation Christ provided.
Many churches bow to the works sales pitch, if you read more, pray more, etc., this will guarantee your closeness and keep you near the heart of God. We can hitch our wagons to the understanding that it was made possible by a once for all finished work.
Please don't hear me say behavior isn't important. Most go there because they don't know or choose to believe we haven't a new heart. Ezekiel 36 tells us otherwise. It's not something we boast about, not manufactured by our own works, but gifted. Christ within us is the surety of this, who will never leave nor forsake us, even when (and often with me) our faithfulness wanes in the breeze.

Few churches teach transformation in Christ and the power of Godliness by the gospel. No wonder many live out as lowly sinners in their actions, it's because they hear wicked heart teaching denying the power to transform.

Behavioral emphasis is cart before the horse teaching.

Once one comes to faith in Christ and His finished work they must understand what has happened ...
Not just FOR them.

But TO them.

Sorry folks, but on the transformative power of the gospel to every one IN Christ I'll declare openly and without reserve nor regret,
No I won't back down. (Thank you Tom Petty)

If any one is IN Christ - They ARE a new creation,
The old things (Adamic sin NATURE) is gone,
The New Creation person has arrived.
2Cor 5:17 my emphasis & paraphrase.

Peace.

Madman

Always, but it's the renewing of the mind. Those old beliefs about separation have to go in light of the free transformation Christ provided.
Many churches bow to the works sales pitch, if you read more, pray more, etc., this will guarantee your closeness and keep you near the heart of God. We can hitch our wagons to the understanding that it was made possible by a once for all finished work.
Please don't hear me say behavior isn't important. Most go there because they don't know or choose to believe we haven't a new heart. Ezekiel 36 tells us otherwise. It's not something we boast about, not manufactured by our own works, but gifted. Christ within us is the surety of this, who will never leave nor forsake us, even when (and often with me) our faithfulness wanes in the breeze.

Few churches teach transformation in Christ and the power of Godliness by the gospel. No wonder many live out as lowly sinners in their actions, it's because they hear wicked heart teaching denying the power to transform.

Behavioral emphasis is cart before the horse teaching.

Once one comes to faith in Christ and His finished work they must understand what has happened ...
Not just FOR them.

But TO them.

Sorry folks, but on the transformative power of the gospel to every one IN Christ I'll declare openly and without reserve nor regret,
No I won't back down. (Thank you Tom Petty)

If any one is IN Christ - They ARE a new creation,
The old things (Adamic sin NATURE) is gone,
The New Creation person has arrived.
2Cor 5:17 my emphasis & paraphrase.

Peace.
Sorry to hear that, Holy Scripture and the ancient church teaches always taught deification, and still does.

StriperAddict

Sorry to hear that, Holy Scripture and the ancient church teaches always taught deification, and still does.
Dedication I believe you mean, LOL.

Dig deeper. God gave you an obedient heart at salvation (Rom 6) to walk in His Spirit. Your faithlessness in that doesn't affect the faithfulness of God. The fact that you hurt and grieve over times you walked after the flesh is evidence that Christ lives within, and He isn't going away. Not when His house is beautiful and new (2 Cor 5:17) and as you grow to believe you ARE new you'll loose the shaming grip of doubt that such a gift can be abandoned.
It's not about your dedication but His, and growing into this grace by which we stand.

Madman

Dedication I believe you mean, LOL.

Dig deeper. God gave you an obedient heart at salvation (Rom 6) to walk in His Spirit. Your faithlessness in that doesn't affect the faithfulness of God. The fact that you hurt and grieve over times you walked after the flesh is evidence that Christ lives within, and He isn't going away. Not when His house is beautiful and new (2 Cor 5:17) and as you grow to believe you ARE new you'll loose the shaming grip of doubt that such a gift can be abandoned.
It's not about your dedication but His, and growing into this grace by which we stand.

No I mean deification. We are being conformed by grace to what God is by nature. Romans 8:29