Pliers

slow motion

Looking for a set that will last awhile in the boat. I've tried a few but yet to find any I like. Keep just coming back to a cheap pair of needle nose. They rust up and I toss and repeat. Maybe 2 or 3 a year. Any suggestions?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Good question.
I don't think I've ever had a pair last 1 season.
Or a bait knife.

I can't count how many I've watched go over the side and sink away into oblivion.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Have you tried rinsing them in fresh water and soaking them down in some form of lube when you are done for the day? I don't fish salt water but have had needle nose liars completely frozen with rust that loosened up pretty quick with a soaking spray of penetrating oil and a little manipulation.

notnksnemor

I bought a pair of Browing titanium coated about 20 years ago. I liked them so much I bought 2 more. I still have them all. Used in salt water around 100 times a year. Rinse after each use, Never been lubed. Still have all three pair.
You don't have arthritis in your hands, do you? :bounce:

doomtrpr_z71

I like my dancos but their aluminum ones are trash, make sure you get the stainless ones. Pretty much all the aluminum ones are junk. I have the pro series dancos but I wouldn't pay retail for them, they run half off sales a good but, otherwise I'd buy a chinesium pair of stainless ones off eBay.

slow motion

I like my dancos but their aluminum ones are trash, make sure you get the stainless ones. Pretty much all the aluminum ones are junk. I have the pro series dancos but I wouldn't pay retail for them, they run half off sales a good but, otherwise I'd buy a chinesium pair of stainless ones off eBay.
So you have the titanium? Seems they run 150 to 200 for the ones they have at Basspro. Well below Van Stall money but definitely not cheap. Looks like their stainless run 40ish bucks. What size do you have? You know we like pics too.

doomtrpr_z71

So you have the titanium? Seems they run 150 to 200 for the ones they have at Basspro. Well below Van Stall money but definitely not cheap. Looks like their stainless run 40ish bucks. What size do you have? You know we like pics too.
No the stainless I'll look through my email to see which one it is, I paid less than 30 for them.

Redbow

We have had stainless pliers for years here on the NC coast, no problems with them or the stainless fillet knives.

oatmeal1

Agree with the dancos.Also like to use some stainless diagonal pliers on the boat as well.

notnksnemor

A question for those paying $40 for a pair of pliers.

Do you have adult sons fishing with you?

"Pop, throw me your pliers."
"Here Pop, catch".
"OOPS"

slow motion

A question for those paying $40 for a pair of pliers.

Do you have adult sons fishing with you?

"Pop, throw me your pliers."
"Here Pop, catch".
"OOPS"
Buy 4 pairs of dollar store (now 1.25) needle nose for 5 bucks. Those are the pliers for everyone else. You keep the good ones for yourself.

Can't imagine dropping those Van Staal 400 bucks a pair in the drink. Seems a lot come with lanyards but still.

slow motion

Didnt see any Dancos in my travels today. For now I'm gonna try these. Did find an inexpensive Danco holster with lanyard. Also a 2 pack of Cuda lanyards. Probably get the lanyard tangled up in something and get pulled overboard but we shall see.20240309_164705.jpg

georgia_home

Back in the day, all the cool deck technicians had these things with the awesome holder. They seemed to hold up ok. When Cleaned up regular.

A g96 floater, a home made flipper and good teeth did pretty well too. for us redneckersons

IMG_2882.png

ssramage

I have a pair of Bubba pliers going on a few years of mostly surf fishing that I like pretty well. I used them for something they weren't intended for a little while back and twisted the jaws. I'm probably going to go with something different this time though as the prices of the Bubbas have gone way up. I try not to pay a ton for tools I use in salt. I do coat everything every so often in CRC though.

S.Tanner

I’ve got a pair of Manley parallel jaw pliers that can’t be beat when it comes to clamping force or snugging up knots on heavy leaders, etc. For everyday use I actually prefer a pair of Bubba Blade needle nose. I haven’t had many issues with either in terms of corrosion but I handle my gear pretty well and rinse etc. Neither of these are budget options so I have them in a nice sheath with lanyard.

IMG_7123.jpeg