Processing a large boar hog tips

eco41crider

Congrats! I also killed my first hog a couple of weeks ago. He didn’t have a bad smell or anything. I dressed him and put him on ice for 72 hours, nothing else. The butchering was a bigger task than I had anticipated but I was pleased with how it all came out.

Attachments

• D6D04168-F196-4A5F-93C8-5CA5AD10DE38.jpeg
    D6D04168-F196-4A5F-93C8-5CA5AD10DE38.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 27
  • C6D9DA7F-252E-4076-A016-5D5D9C422BCD.jpeg
    C6D9DA7F-252E-4076-A016-5D5D9C422BCD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
I kill 3 with a bolt action running across a slew in Beaver Dam WMA one year in a late summer hog hunt. "hog explosion" was the title of the hunt in GON. I dragged all 3 out to my truck with my belt. At the same time.

In my opine, just right to gut, skin and place on the grill whole.

2 were sow, but 1 was a tiny Boar hog, he was already stinking. I bet none of then weight more than 25 lbs gutted. You guessed it, I could not eat that tiny boar hog. Let my dogs have him.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, I've never killed a hog that didn't stink to high heaven. They pee on themselves and spend half their time wallowing around in stagnant mud mixed with pig pee and feces. There is a difference between a whole, unskinned hog stinking and rank, stinking meat.

Hornet22

ROMEO
Ya'll make shore to wear yo rubbers when cleaning and handlin the raw meat. The same ones erybody is using for the wulongchineeflu will work. Bleve me, hawg aids, "brucelosus", or howeva you spell it, ain NO fun. But, it will make a fat boy skinny for a few months, silver lining for everything.
:cheers:

Tunaman

BANNED
Have shot probably 30-35 hogs last 3 yrs. can honestly say only a couple smelled bad. One being quite large for this area. Probably 200-250 lb boar. Smelled so bad I hated even putting rope around his neck to drag away with side-by-side. All the rest smelled fine. Maybe the area for some reason.i do think killing them quick makes a difference.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
My friend shot a 100lb sow soooo clean I would have ate off the hide. Not one spec of dirt even on its feets.
We probably knocked it clean with the rough haul out.

Houseme1971

Congrats! I also killed my first hog a couple of weeks ago. He didn’t have a bad smell or anything. I dressed him and put him on ice for 72 hours, nothing else. The butchering was a bigger task than I had anticipated but I was pleased with how it all came out.
That’s awesome! Congrats on the hog!!!

Hillbilly stalker

Don’t let anything that touches the outside..touch the inside. Remove the gland in the rear hams. It sits between the muscle in the hamstring area between the knee and hip joint. People will disagree with this but I have spoke with 2 different professional butchers about it, pork should not ever touch ice and it should be processed the next day. Pork ages from the inside out, deer and beef just the opposite. Don’t take my word, google or speak with professionals. Ive done wet aging in coolers, but I was assured the best way for best tasting meat is what I described. There are some hogs that are just stanking rank. I have followed their smell and caught up with them before. They smell like burnt urine and testosterone. A really big old one would be next to impossible to stomach the stench to clean it. Most I’ve killed that were fine eating were 150 lbs or less. And always...ALWAYS wear gloves.

Slewfoot

A couple of things that I learned over decades of killing hogs. Cutting out the cods in a rush does not seem to do anything other than Make extra work. The best loin I ever ate came from a boar hog that is on my wall with long cutters. I didn’t treat him any different than a deer in the field and butcher process.

I hunted with a man that got brucellosis or some nasty parasitic disease from cleaning a hog. It was really bad and put him on his back in the hospital for days, nearly killed him. Ever since that occurred, I have taken wearing gloves very seriously when cleaning a pig.