Recoil Issues

trainmstr

In past was operated on for bad rotator (twice) and detached bicept. Been using a Marlin 375 for years (.375 Win.), goes back to my days of hunting in Maine. Doc says time to stop but don't want to give up hunting. Was leaning towards a semi-auto, Rem or Brown.

4winds

Remington R series

They come in a 260 and 7-08. I think remington R25??? Anyway it is an auto, accurate and easier on your shoulder than a bolt action in both of the calibers above. I shoot a 6.5X55 in a CZ FS and love it (similar to 260). I think you can get the 260's in 120gr. not sure about 7-08. Or you could look into a balckhawk compstock for rifles, I personally don't know how well they work. Good luck!

coolbreezeroho

I have shoulder issues from time to time. .30-30 with 150gr Core Lokts or 160gr. Leverevolution has no effect on my shoulder.

Went through 15 170 grn ....25/30 150 grn in one sitting. I was sighting in and just seening where the different ones would hit.....Soft and hollow points on the winchesters were dead on at a 100 yards..150 grns ...Love shooting that 30-30 1894..... Plus ammo is less than 18 dollars a box .........beat that with a factory load.....:shoot:

Coastie

Recoil dosent even effect a person shooting at a deer .I dont recall feeling recoil shooting a deer .Just target shooting i feel the recoil .If you gotta think about recoil with rifle you hunt deer with .its too big of a calibur for you .Thinking about the recoil while shooting a whitetail deer ,chances you might miss too.Sounds like your recoil shy .I only feel the recoil while im shooting at targets ,not shooting deer.
Just my 2 cents worth

If his Doctor says reduced recoil he means reduced recoil. Regardless of what you may feel while shooting at a deer or other game animal, the recoil is still present and will affect your, neck and spine. His problem is not a perceived recoil problem but an actual physical problem relating to the shock to the body of a recoiling rifle.
Lighter loads and a heavier rifle go a long way in reducing perceived recoil so the .243 and cartridges in that area would be best and a lot of shooting to find out which is best is not really an option if the Dr. wants to reduce the stress to his body.

seaweaver

If you go to a 336 let me know. We can work something out on the .375 as I know some one who needs one.
cw

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
trainmstr,

In high school a buddy of mine got a 300 win mag in a browning BAR. I shot it once and was really surprised at the recoil and how light it was (for a 300 mag). I'd look into that as a platform and pick your caliber from there. Find a friend that has one in say, 308 or 270 and try it.

T

jdrawdy

The browning bar .270 is a great choice for someone with that problem. After my shoulder surgery i bought a remington model 7 .243 and after shooting it i was shocked to see that it had more recoil than my dads .270 bar.

trainmstr

I'm seriously leaning towards a Browning LTW Stalker in .308. second choice would be the MKII Stalker with Boss in .308 but have read good and bad about the Boss system, also gun heavier.
I appreciate all the responses and the discussion. I've only read good things about the Browning but the shorter barrel of the LTW gives me concern. Can anyone comment on their accuracy?

jdrawdy

I have not shot the newer bars but i can shoot cloverleaf groups with my dads .270. His is the older style that is almost identical to the stalker except his has the wood stock. As far as the boss, it does not help a great deal with the recoil but does help alot with the muzzle jump. Personally i would not want it on my gun unless i was going to be shooting magnum calibers. Like i said the boss does have some benefit but in my opinion it just makes the gun way to loud. If you do get one with a boss, invest in some good ear protection.

WTM45

I'm seriously leaning towards a Browning LTW Stalker in .308. second choice would be the MKII Stalker with Boss in .308 but have read good and bad about the Boss system, also gun heavier.
I appreciate all the responses and the discussion. I've only read good things about the Browning but the shorter barrel of the LTW gives me concern. Can anyone comment on their accuracy?

A standard weight BAR in .308 with a nice pad like a Limbsaver is a true soft shooter. The .30-06 version I once had was too.
The LTW Stalker is lighter overall, and will feel a little more punchy. The one I owned was "decent" and had good enough hunting accuracy and makes a fine walking rifle.

It was by far not the rifle my standard Belgium BAR .308 which I so dumbly traded away was.:banginghe

Last edited:

BPR

If hand loads are not an option, then you might want to look into the Remington managed recoil loads. My wife shoots them and we've been happy with them. There is no drop at 100 yards from them and the regular loads. They do however drop off faster the farther you go out.

A 308 has a light recoil anyway, but a 308 with managed recoil is almost non existant.

Ohoopee Tusker

I'd get a "smaller" cal. in a BAR. I've got 2 older models in 7mm and 30-06. Not much recoil from either.

Dusty Roads

STOP,keep your rifle,just get a muzzle break or have a gunsmith cut some slots.

Gentleman4561

I would look at a bar in .308 or if you want a bolt go with a .243

Washington95

Remington makes Managed Recoil loads in several calibers; they say they reduce recoil by about 50%. 7mm/o8, 30/06, plus one/two others.

joedublin

Remington 7mm 08 is an excellent deer rifle with very little recoil and it will put the deer down just as quick as a .308.

Recoil solution

Ain`t anybody heard of recoil pads?Or did I miss it?I solved the problem by having TWO recoil pads on my 3.5"turkey gun.It came with one,but I couldn`t stand to pattern it more than 3 or 4 shots.I bought a slip-on pad at Walmart and slipped it over the original one.I could shoot 3.5 in.shells all day.If the stock is too long with two pads,cut it off.

I'd think that either the Browning lightweight or new Remington 750 Carbine in .308 would work fine for you, especially with 150gr loads. I used to own a wood stocked BAR lightweight (don't ask!:huh:) and it is a very nice rifle. The new Remington 750 looks to have a nice recoil pad on it now, vs the old plastic buttplate of the previous generation 7400.
Good Luck!