Red Snapper in Destin?

MTMiller

I'm going down to Destin this Saturday for a week and looking to catch something from my kayak.

I'm thinking of launching off the beach and using a GPS to find some structure within 2 miles out. I found a map that has all the reefs listed.

Problem is I don't know how to rig for them. What size hook and weight should I use? And how about bait...artificial okay or should I try to catch some live bait?

I'm thinking something like a 3-4 oz lead weight 18-24" above a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
I would post about getting a trip together on Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing, Panama City Kayak Fishing or Pensacola Fishing Forum, and at least get one other person with you.

I have read that a lot of people are using live pin fish or cigar minnows, as well as dead cigs, and jigging spoons.

Heavy leader, heavy weight (depending on current) and at least a 5/0 hook.

Good luck and post some pics!

Go to Half Hitch Bait and Tackle once you get there, and they will hook you up with all you will need.

hambone76

Live cigar minnows worked best for us @ PCB last week. They will hit cut bait or dead bait though. You may get a better chance at red grouper also with live bait as well. I would tie the sinker off on a lighter leader below your hook so it will break off easier if you hang on bottom while fishing from a kayak.

jamessig

If you can get some live bait, you can also try freelining(no sinker) them. Pinfish will naturally swim down to the bottom but will rarely make it if there are any red snapper around.

MTMiller

Thanks james I may try that as well. Pinfish are different than cigar minnows right?

Why do people use such a large hook? Most striper guides I know only use 1/0. Folks seem to use 4/0 and 5/0 for snapper from what I'm reading.

Johnbob_3

I second Gage's suggestion about stopping at Half Hitch Bait and Tackle. I have bottom fished for years out of Destin for snapper, grouper, AJs, black snapper, triggerfish...unfortunately, we almost always get into vermillion snapper more than the red snapper. We always had the lead on the bottom (4 oz. egg sinker), with one 4/0 circle hook about 18 inches above that and another 4/0 circle hook above the bottom hook. We fished mainly with cut bait or squid, but live is better if you can get it. Going 2 miles offshore in a kayak takes more gonads than I have got because when it gets windy as it often does out there during the day the paddling back can be tough to say the least. :hair: I have seen some BIG sharks out there...:eek: Usually, the locals have picked the close-to-shore spots pretty clean of larger fish. Good luck and be safe!

rospaw

3/0 circle and 8oz and up lead. Pinfish work the best for us but have used cut baits. Just got back yesterday after five days of fishing. It was good but weather was hit and miss. If i get up to my gps at the lake this week i will get you a number 1.8 miles out from the cut that will give you your limit quick on good snapper.

stev

Banned
i pre make all my leaders for snapper .
DSC_2801.jpg

momoi leader line 150lb and circle hooks ,all crimped .
2 on the right are shark leaders with 400lb jb wire.20ot hooks

Parker Phoenix

I like a 7/0 Mustad circle hook, of course those must be non stainless in the Gulf, and make room for dehooker and a venting tool on that yak. Don't try going two miles offshore by yourself in that yak. To many things can go wrong.