Rimfire Favorites

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
My favorite was a Garcia Bronco single shot.
It got "lost" in one of my moves.

1690735568949.png

Last edited:

krizia829

Here is rimfire some of you may not have heard of. A "22 Win Auto".

In 1979 I bought a Winchester model 1903 for $75, thinking it was your standard 22 rifle. What it turned out to be was the first semie automatic rifle Winchester ever made. They designed a new bullet for it because they knew that if they made it in a standard 22 caliber shell people would shoot some of the black powder 22 shells in it. This would cause the gun to jam after getting clogged up with the dirty powder. And they didn't want to gun to get a bad name. The gun was made from 1903 to 1932. At this time the gun was changed over to the standard 22 caliber and called the model 63. The 22 Win Auto cartridge was put out of production I think in 1954, but there have been some special runs of the ammunition by Remington about 25 years ago and Aguila a few years ago. Of course, I missed out on those production runs. I have read that the model 1903 was the only gun ever made to shoot the 22 Win Auto shell. But then in a YouTube video I heard one person say that Stevens made some Favorites to shoot this shell also. But you can hear anything on YouTube.

I never shot this gun till two weeks ago. I had accumulated three boxes of the rare cartridge over the 44 years I have owned the gun. Two weeks ago, two of my grandsons came for a visit and we took that gun down to the Clybel shooting range to see how it fired. And it worked like it was brand new. Even grouped well for a gun made in 1911. And of course, we shot other firearms to keep the fun going.
Very cool!! Hold on to that one!!

krizia829

Rimfires are my absolute favorite category of firearm!

Here was my first, a Marlin Model 60. Dad left mom and I for another woman when I was 5 and there's a lot to unpack there, but my introduction to shooting was shooting this rifle with its factory iron sights (and a little red fingernail polish on the front sight) at cans and bottles on my weekend visits with him (while they lasted). On the last trip, dad sent the rifle home with me (probably age 8 or so) and mom let me keep in in a rack in my bedroom (unloaded of course). A couple years ago I put that Leupold Freedom scope on it and an MCarbo trigger spring kit in and breathed some new life into it:
52737742185_e79be1ab0a_k.jpg

Another favorite is my Remington 511 that was my great grandfather's and I killed my first squirrel with it around age 8. Dont' have a pic handy, but it's a 6 round magazine fed bolt action.

My wife gave me this Ruger 10/22T factory target model our first or second christmas together. I had Que cut the barrel to 16" and thread it with a thread protector made of some of the chopped barrel and timed so that the spiral hammer forge marks line up. He also did his bolt work on it. It has a Brimstone Tier 2 trigger and shoots like a dream with the Leupold 4.5-40 AO Target scope.
52454238505_83c0c0ff5f_b.jpg

My buddy and I have matching rifles with this one: CZ 452 American in .22lr with barrels cut to 16" and threaded by Accurate Ordnance. They both wear Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Specials. GREAT Squirrel gun!
53079358027_5cd6927481_k.jpg

Same buddy and I were in scouts together. His grandfather was our scoutmaster and we had a joint Eagle Scout ceremony. When Ruger did this BSA Commemorative rifle, he got us a pair and gave me mine as a Christmas gift that year. Incredible!
53080430768_7f23a2af34_h.jpg

53079927356_59a4afda47_h.jpg

I have several others not especially noteworthy, but the final one I'll share here is a Ruger 22/45 MKIII with a TacSol Paclite upper, a Trijicon RMR, a Surefire X200, and an AAC Element2. This is great for the kids and also backyard pests
52456992350_75ef404c22_k.jpg
That's a nice collection you got there! Very cool! I love those Leupold Scopes. I have the Freedom 2-7x33 on my Ruger 44 Carbine and it's sweet! I feel like some of the best memories we have growing up shooting are usually with rimfire guns