Rimfire Favorites

krizia829

I don't know about you all, but I LOVE shooting rimfire guns so much more than the bigger calibers. It's what I started out with as a little girl, as most of you I'm sure did too.

Always wanted to get into some type of rimfire shooting competitions but never really had the resources where I live for that.

I remember when I got my NRA Pistol Shooting Instructor Certification, I had to qualify first. I had to hit 16 out of 20 rounds inside a 6" circle at 15 yards using whatever handgun I wanted, without any modifications to the gun.

I used my M&P 22 Compact and hit all 20 shots inside with wind blowing my target around.

I have battleship targets that I shoot with my .17HMR (my favorite rimfire caliber) out at 75 and 100 yards. Man, do I have fun!

So cheap to shoot, and I can spend all day out there if I wanted to without getting tired quickly.

What are some of your favorites? What rimfire guns do you have in your arsenal? Would love to see some pics!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Rim fire is a lot of fun, good practice for any other type of shooting, and way less expensive. It gives one the chance to spend time with kids, teaching them valuable skills.

I have always liked short rifles. One of mine is a Remington Mod. 6 falling block made in 1930s, When I bought it I thought there would be a problem as the front sight was bent over to the right. I decided to shoot it anyway just to see and it shot true to aim with the bent sight. Evidently the owner couldn't move the entire sight in the dovetail so he just bent the top. Looks weird but it works just fine and makes the rifle unique and fun to talk about,

Another is a Marlin/Glenfield Mod 25 youth rifle that a fellow "built" for his stepson to be that never happened. This is a very accurate little rifle. Both rifles are great fun to shoot.

Steven037

Love shooting rimfire. Recently got into shooting NRL22. Ended up getting a Bergara B14r steel. Then got a chassis to put it in. It’s a rabbit hole but I’m all in. Tons of fun and lots of great and helpful shooters.

Attachments

• IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 70707876341__59DEA728-68BC-4A24-8B1E-AD685BF4B585.jpeg
    70707876341__59DEA728-68BC-4A24-8B1E-AD685BF4B585.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 10

Baroque Brass

Tikka T1x (my favorite), Ruger 77-22, Ruger 10-22, Ruger MK IV Hunter, Ruger Mk 1 Target, Ruger SR 22. Recently sold a Remington 541-T to a friend that collects older rimfires. I love shooting rimfires, limb rats around here don‘t fare well when they’re in the scope.

Adam5

I enjoy my rimfires. I have a threaded Ruger LCPII 22, a threaded Ruger MKIV 22/45 Lite with a. Ted dot, a threaded Sig P322 with a red dot, a S&W 17, a Marlin 80DL bolt action, threaded and scoped Winchester Wildcat, and what used to to a braced Ruger Charger .22 with a threaded barrel that’s now officially a registered SBR. My Rugged Oculus suppressor works well on all the threaded barrels.

Fishin & Hunting

Here is rimfire some of you may not have heard of. A "22 Win Auto".

In 1979 I bought a Winchester model 1903 for $75, thinking it was your standard 22 rifle. What it turned out to be was the first semie automatic rifle Winchester ever made. They designed a new bullet for it because they knew that if they made it in a standard 22 caliber shell people would shoot some of the black powder 22 shells in it. This would cause the gun to jam after getting clogged up with the dirty powder. And they didn't want to gun to get a bad name. The gun was made from 1903 to 1932. At this time the gun was changed over to the standard 22 caliber and called the model 63. The 22 Win Auto cartridge was put out of production I think in 1954, but there have been some special runs of the ammunition by Remington about 25 years ago and Aguila a few years ago. Of course, I missed out on those production runs. I have read that the model 1903 was the only gun ever made to shoot the 22 Win Auto shell. But then in a YouTube video I heard one person say that Stevens made some Favorites to shoot this shell also. But you can hear anything on YouTube.

I never shot this gun till two weeks ago. I had accumulated three boxes of the rare cartridge over the 44 years I have owned the gun. Two weeks ago, two of my grandsons came for a visit and we took that gun down to the Clybel shooting range to see how it fired. And it worked like it was brand new. Even grouped well for a gun made in 1911. And of course, we shot other firearms to keep the fun going.

Attachments

• image_50413569.JPG
    image_50413569.JPG
    408.2 KB · Views: 13
  • image_50388481.JPG
    image_50388481.JPG
    540 KB · Views: 13

ASH556

Rimfires are my absolute favorite category of firearm!

Here was my first, a Marlin Model 60. Dad left mom and I for another woman when I was 5 and there's a lot to unpack there, but my introduction to shooting was shooting this rifle with its factory iron sights (and a little red fingernail polish on the front sight) at cans and bottles on my weekend visits with him (while they lasted). On the last trip, dad sent the rifle home with me (probably age 8 or so) and mom let me keep in in a rack in my bedroom (unloaded of course). A couple years ago I put that Leupold Freedom scope on it and an MCarbo trigger spring kit in and breathed some new life into it:
52737742185_e79be1ab0a_k.jpg

Another favorite is my Remington 511 that was my great grandfather's and I killed my first squirrel with it around age 8. Dont' have a pic handy, but it's a 6 round magazine fed bolt action.

My wife gave me this Ruger 10/22T factory target model our first or second christmas together. I had Que cut the barrel to 16" and thread it with a thread protector made of some of the chopped barrel and timed so that the spiral hammer forge marks line up. He also did his bolt work on it. It has a Brimstone Tier 2 trigger and shoots like a dream with the Leupold 4.5-40 AO Target scope.
52454238505_83c0c0ff5f_b.jpg

My buddy and I have matching rifles with this one: CZ 452 American in .22lr with barrels cut to 16" and threaded by Accurate Ordnance. They both wear Leupold 2-7x28 Rimfire Specials. GREAT Squirrel gun!
53079358027_5cd6927481_k.jpg

Same buddy and I were in scouts together. His grandfather was our scoutmaster and we had a joint Eagle Scout ceremony. When Ruger did this BSA Commemorative rifle, he got us a pair and gave me mine as a Christmas gift that year. Incredible!
53080430768_7f23a2af34_h.jpg

53079927356_59a4afda47_h.jpg

I have several others not especially noteworthy, but the final one I'll share here is a Ruger 22/45 MKIII with a TacSol Paclite upper, a Trijicon RMR, a Surefire X200, and an AAC Element2. This is great for the kids and also backyard pests
52456992350_75ef404c22_k.jpg

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Marlin Model 60 for plinking and most .22 hunting. When I get nostalgic I’ll grab my grandfathers Winchester 1890 with open sights. The 1890 next to Winchester 1897 12 gaugeIMG_1444.jpeg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When plink'n I always go home:

1906 .22 short Winchester pump rifle.JPG My first "real" gun, 1906 "Carney" .22 short. So quiet the little old ladies in down town Powder Springs didn't know what happened to their pet tree rats.

Big7

The Oracle
Current. 6

2 10/22 Standard Carbines Blue BX Triggers
One 3X9X40 and one Red Dot

1 10/22 Factory Target Blue, Laminated Stock,
BX Trigger Bought But Not Installed, Vortex
6X18X44

1 Savage Rascal Blue, Green Polymer Stock,
Factory Trigger, Rear Aperture Sight

1 SR- 22 Factory

1 Rough Rider 22LR / 22WMR Blu /Wood

Just got rid of a Cricket to a member here.
Nothing wrong with it functionally or any accuracy issues. Just comb didn't have enough drop and the Rascal is better for adults.

I might get around to the list of priors but that might take a minute.

Last edited:

Lukikus2

Here is rimfire some of you may not have heard of. A "22 Win Auto".

In 1979 I bought a Winchester model 1903 for $75, thinking it was your standard 22 rifle. What it turned out to be was the first semie automatic rifle Winchester ever made. They designed a new bullet for it because they knew that if they made it in a standard 22 caliber shell people would shoot some of the black powder 22 shells in it. This would cause the gun to jam after getting clogged up with the dirty powder. And they didn't want to gun to get a bad name. The gun was made from 1903 to 1932. At this time the gun was changed over to the standard 22 caliber and called the model 63. The 22 Win Auto cartridge was put out of production I think in 1954, but there have been some special runs of the ammunition by Remington about 25 years ago and Aguila a few years ago. Of course, I missed out on those production runs. I have read that the model 1903 was the only gun ever made to shoot the 22 Win Auto shell. But then in a YouTube video I heard one person say that Stevens made some Favorites to shoot this shell also. But you can hear anything on YouTube.

I never shot this gun till two weeks ago. I had accumulated three boxes of the rare cartridge over the 44 years I have owned the gun. Two weeks ago, two of my grandsons came for a visit and we took that gun down to the Clybel shooting range to see how it fired. And it worked like it was brand new. Even grouped well for a gun made in 1911. And of course, we shot other firearms to keep the fun going.

It got dicey in the years when they had the short, the long and the magnum out. By dicey I refer to the folks just buying 22’s and not the right ones for their gun.

Fishin & Hunting

Lukikus2 don't forget about the CB and BB cartridge from long ago.

Attachments

• image_50383105.JPG
    image_50383105.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image_67185921 (1).JPG
    image_67185921 (1).JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 4