Ruger American Rimfire ?

GregoryB.

I was looking at a Ruger American Rimfire Target model in 22 WMR. I know lots of people like the centerfire Ruger American, so I was wondering what your thoughts were on the Rimfire line ? Don't like the plastic stock on the standard or camo model so I would rather save a few bucks and get the laminated target model rather than having to buy a wooden aftermarket stock plus it will be scoped so I don't need sights already installed.

AceOfTheBase

I liked my RAR 22 WMR with lightweight original stock for hunting.
My hunting buddy really liked it too.
I do more paper now than hunting, so have a Boyd's Spike laminate inbound.

Steven037

I looked at that the other day at cabelas. Good looking rifle but I just got a ruger precision rimfire and it is a tack driver and a ton of fun to shoot. You might take a look at that one.

lonewolf247

I would go with the laminate or the wood grain model. I don't have first hand experience with the rifle though. I have a friend that has a Savage in laminate, and it will shoot the lights out. Maybe another option to consider, if your open to other brands.

Hillbilly stalker

I have the shorter .22 Lr. I been toting it hunting for 2 1/2 years now. It will shoot E.O.S
(Eye of squirrel)

killerv

the plastic stocks have too much twist in them, flex against the barrel, etc. The american I had also had a real tight magazine well, and they were not easy to install or remove. I sent it down the road. I think you are doing right by considering a wood stock.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I have one with the laminated stock and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is the mag release. It tends to bump on my belt gear and will drop the mag out if your walking around with it slung. I just chamber a round and put the magazine in my pocket. I have seen a flat mag release on the older versions and on 10/22's that I was wondering if a man could just swap them out or bob the tab off....

GregoryB.

Thanks for the info. Going to Bass Pro this weekend so I will see if i can get my hands on one to look over and check the magazine /well fit. I have the 10/22 with laminate stock and its a great shooter. Just want to add a 22 Mag to the line up.