Ruger LCRx .38 SP,or 357 Mag..

sleepr71

Totally agree Balrog. If I didn’t have mostly 357 ammo,I’d get that 38SP & be happy. In the heat of a moment...I don’t want to have to remember which pistol can shoot what! I imagine a hot 357 load out of an LCR is a handful & only used as a last resort. I’d most likely use 38(+P) loads most of the time. Actually,for me...Snake shot would be my first 2 rounds in every day carry ?

Last edited:

Balrog

Totally agree Balrog. If I didn’t have mostly 357 ammo,I’d get that 38SP & be happy. In the heat of a moment...I don’t want to have to remember which pistol can shoot what! I imagine a hot 357 load out of an LCR is a handful & only used as a last resort. I’d most likely use 38(+P) loads most of the time. Actually,for me...Snake shot would be my first 2 rounds in every day carry ?

I usually load mine with the old FBI load... 158g +P lead semi wad cutter hollow point... if it worked in the 70s it will still work now.

Sometimes I do carry it loaded with 110g JHP hydra shock.

I am not sure about snake shot. Why do you do that? Just as a less lethal choice?

Reactions: Dub

sleepr71

For Snakes..? I’m all the time on & off tractors,baiting hog traps,hooking up to equipment,riding around checking fences/cleaning off fences ..yada yada. We have Swamp at the back of our place & it’s pretty common to stumble across a Water Mocassin. 2 legged perps...ehh..it may blind em ...so I can then properly dispatch them ?

sleepr71

The 357 version is nonexistent right now. At least in my 2 days of calling around. I think I’m going to get the 3” LCRx in 38+P & move on with life. It’s about 6oz lighter also. P

redlevel

I bought the LCRX 3” adjustable sight in .22 lr a few weeks back. It is my go-to kit gun for Mule, tractor, and pickup. I have sho-nuff S&W Kit Guns, but have you priced one lately? Too nice, and too valuable to knock around on a tractor. Hopefully, the DA trigger pull on the RugerBC346D50-8245-422B-B8D6-BBB9A8C48EE0.jpeg1D5481C7-C90D-4AB0-AF89-4CD7528591FC.jpeg will improve with use.

I intend to find one in .38 special, for the same use. I have several thousand rounds of .38 sp loaded, I think 3.2 grains BE and 146 grain WC. Not a +p load, but much more than a squib. So the .38 version just suits my needs.

That j-frame trigger can be improved greatly with a Wolff spring kit. I don’t use the lighter main spring, but I go to a reduced level trigger return spring.