Ruger releases Marlin 336

TJay

It is a handsome firearm. I know it's not cheap to manufacture firearms and I also think Henry is a sort of "enabler" in regards to the high prices. I've only had two Marlins, an old 70's model that was stolen and my current one which is an early 80's model. My current Marlin is quite a good shooter with the 170 grain power points but it would be nice to have a Texan to go with it.

rosewood

Paid $225 for my 1894PC 357 mag about 2004 or so, bought the 336 30-30 for $225 around 2012, picked up the 1895 45-70 (Remlin) about 2019 for $450. I plan on hanging on to them all, but would be a boost to the bank account if I were to let them go.

My actual best deal was a 93 marlin in 38-55 made around 1920 that I got for $600 late last year. It has became my favorite.

I bought everyone of them just because of the price. I wasn't actively looking for any of them. Glad I have them all though.

Rosewood

Last edited:

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
It looks that it doesn’t have a cross bolt safety? If that is true, that is nice. I wonder if Ruger will offer it in .350 Legend and/or .450 bushmaster?

Jim Boyd

That is ridiculously overpriced.

It is only overpriced if no one will pay that.

My brother missed a golden opportunity recently at a farm just down the road from ours that had a nice brick house on it.

While he tried to work the place down by $20 k or so, someone paid full asking and he lost out.

Obviously a gun is different than a farm but again, it is only overpriced if no one will buy it.

IMHO.

rosewood

It looks that it doesn’t have a cross bolt safety? If that is true, that is nice. I wonder if Ruger will offer it in .350 Legend and/or .450 bushmaster?
Why are folks so opposed to the safety? I don't see that it hurts anything myself. I understand it isn't needed, but it does make some folks feel warm and fuzzy.

Rosewood

rosewood

Well at $1200 yall can have them. picked up an 1895 in 2016 for $325 + tax after a $75 rebate. So I'm all set on lever guns.
I really want a 357 mag break action single shot, but I just can't pay over $500 for a Henry. Wished CVA would make one. But they decided to go with the Legend instead.

Rosewood

rosewood

I'm glad to see Ruger pumping life into Marlin.

The gun sure looks good to me.
Wished they would pump life into H&R single shots. Remington was downright evil to kill that line.

Oldstick

I'm still kicking myself for passing on the Winchester 94 Big Bore model in .356 Win that I saw in a Walmart years ago for around $300 if I recall. Yes, at a Walmart.:huh:

I assume it must have been someone special ordered it then backed out. Never saw anything that uncommon in a Walmart before or since then.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Re-introduced the .444 as well.

$1k:hair:

Love mine, but I doubt I would pay $1k for one.
444.jpg

DAVE

A lot of people that think $1200 is high for a gun that provides protection and recreation and will still be useful in a hundred years but will pay $1000+ for a cell phone that will be obsolete in 2-3 years or until they drop it. Affordable price is always relative to perceived need but more important desire.

Last edited:

rosewood

I have no desire to pay $1200 for a gun or cell phone.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
It's still got the safety. I don't like it either, personally.

TJay

I would guess the $1200 price tag is the manufacturers suggested retail. Prices will probably wind up somewhere in the vicinity of what Henry is getting for their comparable lever guns since that is who their competition is.

rosewood

PSA owns H&R now so if anyone will bring them back, they will.
That would be awesome! Maybe I should send them an email and ask when they plan on releasing the Handi in 357 mag or 357 Max. :)