Ruger releases Marlin 336

Big7

The Oracle
Just saw a YouTube Short and apparently the new 336 doesn't have the Micro Groove barrel.

Micro Groove has been a thing since 1953.

Dub

Just saw a YouTube Short and apparently the new 336 doesn't have the Micro Groove barrel.

I'm cool with anything that will be accurate with jacketed and also work well with cast lead bullets, too.

Jester896

Senior Clown

didn't they change to ballard cut rifling in the mid 2000s on most of their models

Big7

The Oracle
didn't they change to ballard cut rifling in the mid 2000s on most of their models
I just saw the clip about them doing deep groove in the new model 336 so I just assumed that's when they ditched the micro groove.

They used Ballard type prior to 1953 too is what I read.

I got one about 2 or three years old and I'm going to call Ruger/Marlin and see what I got based on the serial number.

You can look up depths and number of grooves for the different Marlins but I figure calling would be easiest since I only have the 1 rifle + it's in controlled storage so I'd have to go get it to even look.

Robust Redhorse

I'm not convinced that "micro-grooved" was anything other than an advertising gimmick.

I like the old Marlin lever-actions, but I would not use any as a "sniper-rifle".

A couple of their older bolt-action rimfires are my "go-to" rifles.

I don't have one, but the XL7's they came out with right before their first demise, seemed to among the most accurate of the "budget" centerfire rifles that I have experienced.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Ballard cut barrels are better for shooting lead bullets. Microgrove barrels have dificulties with them if they aren't real hard and slow moving IIRC.

I kinda miss my old .45-70 with the Microgrove barrel but the newer Ballard cut one I have is pretty good. I have a bunch of 405gr lead for it, but I normally just shoot jacketed bullets in all of my lever guns. It isn't sniper accurate but is sure puts a smack on a running hog :cool:

35 Whelen

I just saw the clip about them doing deep groove in the new model 336 so I just assumed that's when they ditched the micro groove.

They used Ballard type prior to 1953 too is what I read.

I got one about 2 or three years old and I'm going to call Ruger/Marlin and see what I got based on the serial number.

You can look up depths and number of grooves for the different Marlins but I figure calling would be easiest since I only have the 1 rifle + it's in controlled storage so I'd have to go get it to even look.

Ruger-made Marlin rifles are marked with "Mayodan, NC," bear an "RM" or Ruger-Made serial number prefix, have the Marlin Horse and Rider logo laser engraved on their grip, and also feature a red and white "bullseye" on the buttstock.