Saddle Hunting

Lumpkin Hunter

Who on here have tried or do hunt out of a tree saddle? I started last year and really enjoy it. I hunt out of a JX3 Hybrid tree saddle, this thing is the most comfortable form of tree hunting I have ever done in my 50 years of hunting.

ssramage

I bought a full mantis setup used this past spring. I tried it a bunch in the yard and just never could get comfortable with it. Sold it for more than I paid for it.

huntfishwork

I have an aerohunter kestrel flex and a tethrd platform. Love everything about the saddle but I can’t shoot my bow out of it worth a penny. Has to be something with my form as I’m consistently shooting low. Like 4-6 inches low.

jbogg

I did every hunt last year in the mountains out of my JX 3 hybrid. It is truly a game changer in the mountains. I had that thing on my back for four hours straight opening day of the season last year as I was trying to find some fresh bear sign to hunt. Ended up sitting in it for 10 hours straight the Sunday of opening weekend of Bow season. It is easily as comfortable, if not more so than my summit Goliath that I used for years. I use the Lonewolf Hand climber as my climbing method and platform. I just rigged up a 3 L hydration bladder on the backside of the back rest. This thing presents all sorts of options.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
Got me a diy sit drag saddle. A trophy line. And a JX3. The JX3 is ridiculously comfortable. i too attached a 3 liter blade to the back rest. I also have fastened a few Molle packs for various things including my coffee yeti.
Haven’t killed anything out of the JX3.... yet. lol

I’ve also fashioned three plastic climbing sticks into tripods so I can use it in a blind set up. serious comfort.

DSGB

I use the Lonewolf Hand climber as my climbing method and platform.

Mind sharing a little more details? I've seen where guys have modified the seat section into a platform, but are you saying you use it to climb? Did you just add straps and use it as you would the foot platform?

ETA - just watched some videos on YouTube by Johnny Palmer. Pretty slick, although you would still be limited to straight, limbless trees.

Last edited:

splatek

UAEC
Mind sharing a little more details? I've seen where guys have modified the seat section into a platform, but are you saying you use it to climb? Did you just add straps and use it as you would the foot platform?

ETA - just watched some videos on YouTube by Johnny Palmer. Pretty slick, although you would still be limited to straight, limbless trees.

True about straight (ish) trees, not about limbless. Because you are always connected you can fairly easily get around a limb by using two ropes.
I use this method as well. Where I hunt most of the trees are straight enough to climb. I’m sure I’ll find myself in a situation where it won’t work which is why I’ve been toying with the idea of adding one light stick to my arsenal so I could one stick it off necessary

jbogg

As you mentioned, I added a strap, but I also did the bolt modification that is described on saddleHunter.com. It changes the angle of the strap to make it easier to climb with. In north Georgia straight limbless trees are plentiful, so this method works great for my area.

Lumpkin Hunter

Glad to see some saddle hunters on this site. Just to give a little in site on how I use my JX3 saddle. I've attached a couple of dump pouches to hold various items. I use 3 Lone Wolf sticks that I've modified by adding a double step to the top step position, changed the strap to Amsteel rope and changed the button spacing which allows the rope to tighten down upon itself when I tie off the stick. this also cut some weight due to the heavy buckle that comes with the sticks. i've also added a one step aider to each stick. As to the saddle I carry a small cheap backpack between the back and the seat when it is folded up for a few essential items for me when hunting. As jbogg said I can carry this set up for a long time and not get the least bit fatigued or aggravated like when carrying my Summit (which I sold after getting the JX3). I don't use a platform I just use the top step of my top stick for a foot rest but I will be working with a ring of steps set to see if they benefit me when at hanging height. If you have never tried saddle hunting I encourage you to pull up some videos on uTube and check all the different possibilities as to saddle types, climbing methods, how to shoot out of one with accuracy both bow and gun, weight reduction, portability, silent climbing and hunting. You might be like I was interested in it enough to try it.
good luck this year and be safe

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I use a tethrd mantis, predator platform with hawk helium sticks to climb. This summer I got the new, shorter 2-step helium sticks to lighten my set up.

I use a pack frame to haul into the woods. It’s a little bit overkill but I could carry it for miles and miles. I use the pack frame also with deer recovery in mind. As far as comfort, you have to get your body used to it but after that you’re good. Being able to set up whereever you want is a game changer. I also feel like you can anchor yourself better in it for bow shots compared to hunting out of a typical lock on or climber.

deast1988

I use a Tethrd Mantis or AeroHunter Kestrel
I have 3 daisy chained hawk helium’s
4 rope modded Millenium pro sticks with Amsteel spliced ropes.
I use a LoneWolf Custom gear ambush on my presets and a tethrd predator platform on my pack ins.
I use movable climbing web aiders, 3 sticks I can go to 22ft, 4 sticks I can go 29ft.

I pack it all in with frame pack with ability to field quarter and pack out.

I tried it liked it, continue to make improvements to my set up.

Ga heat, a pre set stick and wear the mantis can’t beat it. Total pack in less then 5lbs on a preset.

Gunner308

I have wanted to get into saddle hunting for a while now. My only concern is weight limit. I’m a husky fella at 250lbs. I’m in fairly good shape so the climb isn’t a concern. Just curious of the weight restrictions of the gear and what is most comfortable.

Alexander

I use a pack frame to haul into the woods. It’s a little bit overkill but I could carry it for miles and miles. I use the pack frame also with deer recovery in mind.

I pack it all in with frame pack with ability to field quarter and pack out.

Would either of you mind sharing what brand frame pack y'all are running? I recently got the Tethrd Phantom/ predator platform/ hawk helium sticks and have been considering a frame pack but honestly know nothing about them.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I use an eberlestock F1 but I feel like I got it on sale for a really good deal. ALPS also sells something similar that’s a little cheaper but maybe heavier

deast1988

Would either of you mind sharing what brand frame pack y'all are running? I recently got the Tethrd Phantom/ predator platform/ hawk helium sticks and have been considering a frame pack but honestly know nothing about them.

I tried an Eberlestock x2 last year

This year I ordered afull rig from kifaru with a bunch of goodies. Read the reviews, I went with a MiniKeg 2800 added a grab it and claymore 2 to run as a lid. I went with a pack that is real popular for Muledeer/pronghorn, it’ll pack 70/80lbs of meat so it’ll be right in the sweet spot to pack a saddle in and saddle with meat out if needed. I didn’t like how the x 2 unwrapped so the mini keg has much more of bag feel. It’s taken right at a Month to get shipping notification for the Kifaru orders.

chris41081

Last year I used a cheap no name pack. I carry my muddy pro sticks separately with a shoulder strap. Put my ridge runner in the pack and wear my saddle. This year I just bought a Badlands Diablo Dos , (had a 50% coupon code) and really like it so far. I'll still probably carry my stick separate but will try putting my bow on the pack. It was a tough decision between that and the Eberlestock X2 but the coupon made the decision. Southern ground has a great video about the X2 on his YouTube.

Lumpkin Hunter

Gunner308 If you go with the JX3 Hybrid you won't have to worry about the weight. I'm 265 and it hold me very well. Before I ordered mine last year I emailed back and forth with the company owner about this exact concern. He is a really helpful person and will answer any of you questions. Also I'll be 62 this fall so I'm no young buck, but I can tell you this is the most comfortable elevated system I have ever hunted out of.
The regular saddles like the Tethered are great systems also, there are several different manufactures in the business now. It is a little bit of an investment but I feel confident you will like the hunting style especially if you go with a JX3. I just can't say; enough about this system.

elhoward622

I just got into it this year after watching and learning all last season. I ordered a tethrd phantom, podium platform, hawk 20” sticks, and a cheap SOG backpack. I have been practicing and shooting out of it and like it so far. The comfort isn’t in the class of my summit climber, but I like the ability to get up in any tree I want. Shooting with both my recurve and compound has been pretty straightforward.