Saddle Hunting

dertiedawg

If saddle hunting will ever become lighter than hunting from a climber, I will look into it. As it stands now, saddle hunting is a much less efficient way of hunting driven by hunting media. There is no reason this should exist
My whole setup is less that 12 lbs… the climber alone is 22 lbs and that doesn’t include the weight of the harness!

dang

DANG !!!
I hunt out of both. If i'm not going as far, sitting all day, or or i know exactly where i'm going to climb already i tend to take my climber especially during gun season because i like the rail and it is comfortable. One thing i've found that i feel is a big advantage over the climber is how compact you can get your setup walking in. I wear my saddle and strap my sticks to the side of my frame pack. The whole setup on my back is very compact and within the frame of my body, nothing sticks out. When you're trying to sneak through the woods, ducking under downed trees or in briars and heavy cover, a big stand on your back is noisy and snaggy and a bit metallic and i've enjoyed not having to deal with that. In my opinion its just another tool in the toolbox and it is all situational.

Would either of you mind sharing what brand frame pack y'all are running? I recently got the Tethrd Phantom/ predator platform/ hawk helium sticks and have been considering a frame pack but honestly know nothing about them.
Mystery Ranch popup 28 small enough to fit through the woods but can carry deer quarters easily.

dang

DANG !!!
Mystery Ranch popup 28 small enough to fit through the woods but can carry deer quarters easily.
Ive got a kuiu icon pro. Once you have the frame and suspension system their bags are interchangeable so you could go from a day bag to a big elk hunt camp on your back style bag with the same system, just switch out the bags. I’ve carried deer out whole on that frame as well as quartered. They’re pricey, luckily it was a gift

Mk20rockeye

I'm interested in trying a saddle but it's a little pricey is it worth the investment
I think they're worth the investment. Since I primarily hunt public land with my bow, they are very useful. If I had my own land or a lease, I wouldn't have done it. If you can find someone who has one, definitely try it out. If you close here, I'd dang sure let you try it out.

I think they're worth the investment. Since I primarily hunt public land with my bow, they are very useful. If I had my own land or a lease, I wouldn't have done it. If you can find someone who has one, definitely try it out. If you close here, I'd dang sure let you try it out.
I live in hall county

I'm going to start hunting some public land here in the mountains and that's why I am looking into saddle hunting. What would I need to get started

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I'm going to start hunting some public land here in the mountains and that's why I am looking into saddle hunting. What would I need to get started
I’ve been piecing mine together as I got a belt from someone here. A kit can be had for about $300. Ive got that in my parts list ez. I’d recommend getting a kit like hawk offers. It has everything except a platform and climbing method.. …..lots of options for every aspect of this saddle hunting thing. Watch videos etc…. If budget is not an option tethrd is up there at the top

swamp

I have some climbing sticks if anyone is interested posted on GA saddle hunting page on facebook. But you can send me a message and I will send pics. Cut down hawk heliums great budget sticks for saddle hunters. I have been saddle hunting now for 3 years still have my lw wide climber. But will be grabbing my cruzr xc opening day of bow season.

jbogg

If saddle hunting will ever become lighter than hunting from a climber, I will look into it. As it stands now, saddle hunting is a much less efficient way of hunting driven by hunting media. There is no reason this should exist
Ole Sautee still shoots a wooden bow without wheels or Cams. Saddles should be completely banned as well as crossbows. ?

Mk20rockeye

I started with the Cruzr XC kit with a 4 pack of hawk helium 20" sticks. It was a good wat to start for me. I put a aider on each stick and got to nearly 20' pretty easily. I then bought a mission platform. Gamechanger right there. You can go onto saddlehunter.com and they have a classified section. There can be some decent deals to be had with saddles folks have bought and are already selling. This year I'll be doing the single stick method and repelling back down.

elhoward622

After a year in the saddle, it is not the end all, be all for me. It has its place but I find the amount of items I have to pack for the saddle to be as annoying as the bulk of my little summit bushmaster. I bought an artisan top step to replace my podium and I’m going to use two sticks for a scout and hunt setup when I’m being super mobile without a plan. Otherwise I’ll use my summit or my Waldop pac seat.

Attachments

• 47DCDE92-DDBB-4846-B333-E586F978E1F0.jpeg
    47DCDE92-DDBB-4846-B333-E586F978E1F0.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 16