Sawmill wood processing Blairsville/Blue Ridge???

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I was driving around Blairsville, Blue Ridge area and saw a sawmill. They had a huge pile of logs and were soaking them with water. 1. what kind of logs?, couldn't tell from that distance. 2. Why, what are they going to be used for?

Timberman

Be hard to say exactly from your vague description, but they are one of two kinds, pine or hardwood. Both are kept under water if possible to cut down on stain and keep the logs nice and juicy for the saw.

Depending on the species and grade, they are sawing grade, dimension, and pallet stock. YMMV

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
there is a pretty good size sawmill near my house, and they just dry stack the logs out in the field until they are ready to saw that species. There is probably 25 to 30 acres of wood piles there at any given time

I have never seen anyone soak trees in water before they are cut

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
There was a logyard on Ga 96,Taylor County side of Flint River for years,they had rainbirds constantly spraying hardwood logs,this went on for years.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
I think the name of it was Blue Ridge ??? If you were driving from Blairsville to Blue Ridge it'd be on the left. The logs looked to be more like a pine, IMO they would've been a good bit larger if it was hardwoods. It was pouring rain and they still had the water on.

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon

FootLongDawg

Do these sawmills generally sell to the public. I have an 18ft. dual axle trailer that needs new wood planks. With the price and scarcity of wood in the box stores, I need another source for some wood. I am afraid my tractor is going to fall through the rotting planks when loading if I don't do something fast.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
you want to use either pressure treated lumber, or white oak to floor that trailer.

I prefer white oak myself. It is stronger and will last longer than the pressure treated wood.

I would try contacting some of the people around with those portable sawmills and see if they might be able to help you

j_seph

That just might be the place. There were other mills around the area but I didn't see any of the others watering. J seph is that your neck of the woods?
I'm in Lula

treemanjohn

Banned
Do these sawmills generally sell to the public. I have an 18ft. dual axle trailer that needs new wood planks. With the price and scarcity of wood in the box stores, I need another source for some wood. I am afraid my tractor is going to fall through the rotting planks when loading if I don't do something fast.
White oak soaked in 50/50 diesel and burnt motor oil. Check facebook marketplace and depending on where you are i might be able to help. I have a customer looking for some for me