Shot size?

GAGE

GONetwork Member
What shot size do you all find best for the average shot on decoying ducks (not pass shooting or sky busting) with the chance at a goose, say twenty yards or less? I generally shoot 3.5 (12 gauge as well as 10 gauge because I can, I like to and my guns like them too!) #2's as an all around size but am thinking of going to #4's!

Thanks for the input!

Gage

whithunter

I would also say 2's. I have shot them with 4's before and if your shots will be 20yds. and closer they will definately kill a duck. But I don't think they have the knock down power after much further than that. I personally shoot kent fasteel # 1's.

bigunga1

2 3/4 in #6 hevi shot is all you need inside of 25 yards... probably a little further.... "over the dekes"

i like #4 hevi for geese....

as far as steel goes... i use #3's 3"... for ducks... #2's will work for geese but not very far... b's or bb's are much better..."IMO"...

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I use 3" fast steel #2's for ducks. Anything bigger and you loose the pattern density. Works well for geese inside 30 yds and have also taken a tundra swan with them.

Nick_T

Banned
With steel I don't think that there is a load that will work effectively for both ducks and geese. What I recommend is 3.5 #3's for decoying ducks and keeping a box of 3" hevishot of either #2 or #4 shot size within reach for when the geese decide to play right. With geese being as vocal as they are most of the time you'll have plenty of time to swap out shells before they get there. I know that the hevi's are a bit $$ but they hit like a hammer. If ya rather shoot steel at geese I'd say that the minimum shot size to use would be BBs in the 3.5 gun or the 10 guage.

Nick T