Should MLB have a Mercy Rule?

DannyW

Peter Moylan brought this up the other night when the Braves were pounding the Rangers 10-0 in the 8th inning. Being old fashioned about MLB traditions, my initial reaction was "no way". Then just a few minutes later the Rangers sent a catcher, yes a catcher, to pitch in the top of the 9th.

It struck that this probably affects the dignity and tradition of baseball more than just conceding the game. The Rangers were waving a white flag, literally, because they were giving up. No hope whatsoever. Sending a batting practice pitcher to the mound just seemed a little Savannah Banana-ish. I mean, what's the point?

In other words, it makes a mockery of the game.

So I'll admit to opening my mind to listen to some tasteful, well thought out options. Maybe a Mercy Option, not a hard and fast Rule, where if a team is down by 10 or more runs in the 8th, the losing manager has the OPTION of conceding with the winning manager's approval. (I can't see the winning manager not approving unless his pitcher was in the middle of a no-hitter or something.)

Fan acceptance may be a problem, but maybe not. Just one of the factors to take into consideration.

Thoughts or comments?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
A negotiated surrender sounds fine to me but I don't buy tickets.

TinKnocker

Peter Moylan brought this up the other night when the Braves were pounding the Rangers 10-0 in the 8th inning. Being old fashioned about MLB traditions, my initial reaction was "no way". Then just a few minutes later the Rangers sent a catcher, yes a catcher, to pitch in the top of the 9th.

It struck that this probably affects the dignity and tradition of baseball more than just conceding the game. The Rangers were waving a white flag, literally, because they were giving up. No hope whatsoever. Sending a batting practice pitcher to the mound just seemed a little Savannah Banana-ish. I mean, what's the point?
Good! It should be embarrassing to the game. And the OWNERS of these teams should be held accountable for it. Because they're the ones providing the terrible product and embarrassing the sport.

DannyW

Good! It should be embarrassing to the game. And the OWNERS of these teams should be held accountable for it. Because they're the ones providing the terrible product and embarrassing the sport.

I get what you are trying to say, but it's not applicable in this situation.

The Rangers are in 1st place, have the 4th best record in all of MLB, and the 9th largest payroll. They are doing all the right things, and in general it's working great for them but sometimes stuff happens in a one game sample.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Why not? They have already trashed Doubleday's original game anyway. While they're at it get rid of the pitcher's position and let everybody hit from a tee.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Come on elfiii...tell us how you really feel! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

MLB sucks _ _ _ _ _

You fill in the blanks. I already know what mine are. :bounce:

Baroque Brass

Ad revenue would be lost, ain’t gonna happen.

huntersluck

I like seeing position pitchers pitch so that would be a no for me. The revenue lost and adjustments that would have to be made to programming if a game is cut an hour or so short will prevent it from happening. IMO

Shadow11

Well, every time a new rule change occurs in any sport, you basically have to start over with the record books. The record book b4 this season has to be closed now, because of the extreme rule changes, and a new one has to begin. I don't like any of it.

huntersluck

I am not a baseball traditionalist. I am 1000 percent in favor of the pitch clock. I hate that they are already making tweaks to it. The bigger base pads I really don't care either way

snooker1

This year everyone is getting a trophy so no one's feeling are hurt. If everyone is nice and doesn't hurt anyone else's feelings, they can have ice cream after the game.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Well, every time a new rule change occurs in any sport, you basically have to start over with the record books. The record book b4 this season has to be closed now, because of the extreme rule changes, and a new one has to begin. I don't like any of it.
Except that doesn't happen.