Sinclair Kids Trip - Updated Results

cddogfan1

Taking my son and one of his buddies both 11 to Sinclair this weekend. I know its probably not prime time but we got cabin fever and need to get out. We are staying at Oconee Springs. We have stayed there before and I know that end of the lake fairly well. My issue even though I have had my boat (16 foot G3 60hp ) for probably 17-18 years I am not a seasoned rod and reel fisherman. I load it up every year with Catfish but they come by way of limb lines and noodles. Its given Gators, Ducks, Deer and Hogs multiple rides over the years. Just not much rod fishing. I grew up pond fishing, but the lakes have always intimidated me. Too much water to know where to start I guess. Couple of questions if you guys don't mind.
  1. Taking my noodles as I have done well around there before but never fished this early / cold. You think they should still catch some fish?
  2. I have a decent depth finder ( 5" bird with DI and SI) and have some HD Rods set up for catfishing. Any particular tips on where to start with them this time of year. Daytime or Night?
  3. Not really a crappie fisherman but have enough poles and tackle for us to make due, should we try to target them while we are there. Any tips on that? Not specific just general? Docks? Creeks? Open Water
I sure they will enjoy them selves even if we don't catch any they are good kids, but and tips on how to be success and created a little more pleasurer would greatly be appreciated.

I am not opposed to hiring a guide for Saturday either if anybody knows anyone on short notice they recommend.

basstrkr

can't help much on cat fish ,but; My best method this early was to fish the deepest water I could find, use with minnows on a drop shot rig. We caught cat, perch and bass. use small hooks, let the boat drift with the wind and keep the sinker on the bottom. Good luck whatever ya'll do.

willie1971

Yes, drop shot a nightcrawler for catfish with small hooks, maybe #4. lots of fun.

Ask your tackle shop for guidance too.

SinclairDAWG71

This time of year you can find bass,hybrids and such on points. If you can find them throw a crankbait. The crappie are also starting to bite better. But I troll this time of year for them. But you can find them stacked up in deeper water and drop minnows down to them. YOu can catch a variety of species doing this and the kids will enjoy aslo.

crackerdave

I bet yall could catch a mess with your jugs and limblines,and they would enjoy that more than trolling with rods.

cddogfan1

So we had a great time. For those not familiar with Oconee Springs or not been in a while. Its great and run by really nice folks. They have updated the grounds a good bit. Added 2 more cabins. Basketball goals and disc golf (3holes). We fished Saturday morning after breakfast till lunch and then some more after lunch. We ran 12 noodles in one spot and 12 in another. Caught 7 nice channels between 3 and 15 pounds. Filleted 3 of them and had a fish fry Saturday night. Even shared some with our cabin neighbors. It was my Son's friend first noodle fishing experience and he had a blast. A good time was had by all and some Cabin Fever was tamped down some.

crackerdave

So we had a great time. For those not familiar with Oconee Springs or not been in a while. Its great and run by really nice folks. They have updated the grounds a good bit. Added 2 more cabins. Basketball goals and disc golf (3holes). We fished Saturday morning after breakfast till lunch and then some more after lunch. We ran 12 noodles in one spot and 12 in another. Caught 7 nice channels between 3 and 15 pounds. Filleted 3 of them and had a fish fry Saturday night. Even shared some with our cabin neighbors. It was my Son's friend first noodle fishing experience and he had a blast. A good time was had by all and some Cabin Fever was tamped down some.
Memories that'll last a lifetime!

Latest posts