Something different...

oldfella1962

There is something Welcome Back Carterish about Dylan. The voice is a brand perhaps.
Welcome Back Carter? He's too old to run for President - or maybe not!
Maybe Welcome Back Kotter starring Gabe Kaplan? :unsure:

gabe.jpg

oldfella1962

Oh, I wept alright, lolololololololol
The schmoozing from Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie just to get Dylan to stop is a riot.
21 words and it took Dylan a dozen tries to kind of coherently talk them consecutively into a microphone in order to at least get the lowest possible acceptable standard. Priceless.
Wow that clip was BRUTAL! :( It almost seems like an SNL skit or something, or maybe Dylan is "pranking" everybody. :LOL:
Sidenote is it just me, or is this in a different key than the version they played on the radio? Granted I'm going from memory since I haven't heard the song in decades - but I remember it being a bit higher. Maybe a step or even a step and a half higher.

WaltL1

There is something Welcome Back Carterish about Dylan. The voice is a brand perhaps.
Certainly his voice could be considered a "brand". Like it or hate it, its uniquely his.
His success is as much due to the times and what was happening then and his message as was his "talent".
He was a pretty gifted song writer though.

WaltL1

Oh, I wept alright, lolololololololol
The schmoozing from Quincy Jones and Lionel Richie just to get Dylan to stop is a riot.
21 words and it took Dylan a dozen tries to kind of coherently talk them consecutively into a microphone in order to at least get the lowest possible acceptable standard. Priceless.
Why do you hate old burnt out musicians? :rofl:

oldfella1962

Why do you hate old burnt out musicians? :rofl:
You tube NO DIRECTION, PERIOD There is a short (3 minutes or so) Bob Dylan fake documentary called NO DIRECTION, PERIOD :ROFLMAO:
I can't post it because of a teeny bit of questionable lyrics. But it's pretty funny, if brutal. You're welcome!

WaltL1

You tube NO DIRECTION, PERIOD There is a short (3 minutes or so) Bob Dylan fake documentary called NO DIRECTION, PERIOD :ROFLMAO:
I can't post it because of a teeny bit of questionable lyrics. But it's pretty funny, if brutal. You're welcome!
While watching that I went back and forth between :rofl:and :mad:.
It was funny but I felt a little guilty for laughing :bounce:
Its kind of interesting though. 60 years later, if you are a still a topic of discussion, or being parodied etc..... you must have made a pretty big impact in your time.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Its kind of interesting though. 60 years later, if you are a still a topic of discussion, or being parodied etc..... you must have made a pretty big impact in your time.
The amount of songs that Dylan wrote for other people that were huge hits are more in total than some big name artists have done for themselves. His work for himself speaks for itself. In my opinion he is a fantastic songwriter, musician and at times had to be a terrific performer. Other times I get the feeling that he did shows where even he didn't realize that he was a part of until he heard about it later.

WaltL1

The amount of songs that Dylan wrote for other people that were huge hits are more in total than some big name artists have done for themselves. His work for himself speaks for itself. In my opinion he is a fantastic songwriter, musician and at times had to be a terrific performer. Other times I get the feeling that he did shows where even he didn't realize that he was a part of until he heard about it later.
You just wait until you are an old man Mr.Bullet. We will probably find you giving a haircut to a pumpkin and drooling all over yourself :rofl:

oldfella1962

Oh no doubt! Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But that part where Joan Baez is dancing around and Bob quotes from a rap song "shake it! Show me what you're workin' with!" was comedy gold. :LOL:

gordon 2

Welcome Back Carter? He's too old to run for President - or maybe not!
Maybe Welcome Back Kotter starring Gabe Kaplan? :unsure:

View attachment 1282837
LOL this is too funny. Funny how this works... :) I always assumed that Kotter was caused by the accent, as when someone from the north east coast says kar for car or Kotter for Carter etc... My bad.

Last edited:

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
You just wait until you are an old man Mr.Bullet. We will probably find you giving a haircut to a pumpkin and drooling all over yourself :rofl:
Wait, what? You mean it gets worse than it is now?!?!?!?!?!

For perspective though, I am guessing that in 1985 when Dylan was a part of " We are the World", he was probably 10 years younger than I am now, but missing quite a few more brain cells judging by those 10 minutes we watched.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Years ago Dylan won an award. I cant remember if it was a lifetime achievement award, Grammy, or something along those lines, but he was already on stage for the acceptance speech, said a couple of words and then said " My daddy always said .............................................................................." and I mean a pause for what seemed like a solid minute of dead air time and blank stare but was probably 10 seconds then continued with "Well, he said so many things".
If I remember correctly even he laughed about it.

oldfella1962

LOL this is too funny. Funny how this works... :) I always assumed that Kotter was caused by the accent, as when someone from the north east coast says kar for car or Kotter for Carter etc... My bad.
Wow I never thought about that! Yes, when the kids said "Mister Kotter!" it would sound like "mista cottah" or something like they were trying to say "Mister Carter". :ROFLMAO:

oldfella1962

For perspective though, I am guessing that in 1985 when Dylan was a part of " We are the World", he was probably 10 years younger than I am now, but missing quite a few more brain cells judging by those 10 minutes we watched.
Maybe he didn't really want to do the project, and was hoping they would send him packing - but his singing wasn't bad enough.

WaltL1

Years ago Dylan won an award. I cant remember if it was a lifetime achievement award, Grammy, or something along those lines, but he was already on stage for the acceptance speech, said a couple of words and then said " My daddy always said .............................................................................." and I mean a pause for what seemed like a solid minute of dead air time and blank stare but was probably 10 seconds then continued with "Well, he said so many things".
If I remember correctly even he laughed about it.
:rofl:

WaltL1

It was pretty pitiful I must say.

gordon 2

One of the richest man in the west is buying music rights... I forget his name. He is buying it because of long time-term revenues. Like the people who usually poo poo artist, really get into their royalties when it come to putting their money where their ... well... you know. The thing with Dylan, is I had always seen his protest side in his artwork, I mean his voice is a protest by itself, and then he sells his poetry to the folk he once had a protest for. I don't know but there must be a poetic word for all this stuff... just can find it right now.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

Double dose of Temptations! Yes I know - Motown Records was a commercial powerhouse, but sometimes they put out some deeper stuff.
Lyrics because...come on now! These two songs - especially "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today) are still relevant in 2024.
Papa Was a Rolling Stone is the short version - the original has a four-minute intro which actually helps build the tension, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

WaltL1

Double dose of Temptations! Yes I know - Motown Records was a commercial powerhouse, but sometimes they put out some deeper stuff.
Lyrics because...come on now! These two songs - especially "Ball of Confusion (That's What the World Is Today) are still relevant in 2024.
Papa Was a Rolling Stone is the short version - the original has a four-minute intro which actually helps build the tension, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Ive got the long version posted up somewhere towards the beginning of the thread. Great song.

WaltL1

One of the richest man in the west is buying music rights... I forget his name. He is buying it because of long time-term revenues. Like the people who usually poo poo artist, really get into their royalties when it come to putting their money where their ... well... you know. The thing with Dylan, is I had always seen his protest side in his artwork, I mean his voice is a protest by itself, and then he sells his poetry to the folk he once had a protest for. I don't know but there must be a poetic word for all this stuff... just can find it right now.
Maybe he enjoyed seperating those folks from their money?