Sometimes you feel like a nut - but which nut

basshappy

BANNED
Playing around this morning I was watching doe, fawn and bucks chow down on one type of these nuts below. These things exploded from the tree and you do not want to be on the gravity end of receiving an incoming one!

For the nut masters out there, which nut below was the focus of the deer? Note: all of these are within 50 yards of one another, so the deer passed by some to get to their favorite one. I did get some bark and leaf pics to help ID species.

20230919_214248.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I vote #7.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of y'all ever actually seen deer eating hickory nuts (#1?) I never have. I've heard people say they do, but I never seen any evidence in over half a century. Bears love em' but I just don't see how deer could crack them.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I would hunt #4 and #5 especially if there was persimmons or crabapple trees close by.

basshappy

BANNED
Have any of y'all ever actually seen deer eating hickory nuts (#1?) I never have. I've heard people say they do, but I never seen any evidence in over half a century. Bears love em' but I just don't see how deer could crack them.

Something is enjoying the hickory nuts. I can't see how a deer would get into them? I might move a camera to see if I can capture what animal is eating them. I have seen fox, yokes, bobcats, deer, and turkey here. And 10 years back a mountain lion. Never seen nor captured a bear on camera though.

HermanMerman

Have never seen a deer get after one. I always wondered about hickories as well as black walnuts. A squirrel could wake up the dead gnawing on a hickory or a walnut. There’s a bottom on the land I hunt full of black walnuts, hickory, white oaks, and red oaks. You can hardly keep your wits about you during deer season with all the noise the squirrels make….but it’s a mighty fine place to limit out on squirrels.

basshappy

BANNED
what county?

Bartow. Somewhere I have trail cam pics of it. I caught it twice on camera one Summer. Left nice tracks in the sand (pond).

Good mate of mine in Canton (next door county) got one on his mom's ring camera in her front yard. Probably 2 years back.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Bartow. Somewhere I have trail cam pics of it. I caught it twice on camera one Summer. Left nice tracks in the sand (pond).

Good mate of mine in Canton (next door county) got one on his mom's ring camera in her front yard. Probably 2 years back.

Yea. I live in Milton. My shop is in Canton. They’re thick over this way. Never actually seen one. But I’ve heard them plenty of times.

The ones you have account of, where they black? or tan?

I’d love to see the pics. Seems like that’s make the news!

basshappy

BANNED
@Raylander the one I got on camera was tan. Large cat. The paw prints in sand - I was extra aware when I brought my young kids to the property for a while after that.

davidhelmly

No, never.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Never seen any sign of deer eating hickernuts or walnuts either. I have seen deer eat pecans though. I have seen turkeys eat pignut hickory. They have some tough gizzards.