Southern Appalachian Tree Distribution Question

NWS

3 Species in particular: Native Stands (not planted) of Sugar Maple, White Birch & Aspen

Sugar Maple: I believe there are some very isolated stands of native reproducing Sugar Maple in some areas of higher elevations. Just wonder how common in TN, NC & N. GA. Not talking about non-native trees planted from the nursery that grow well south of the mountains.

White (Paper or Canoe) Birch: This is the very white paper-like birch you see way up north and not River Birch, Swamp or Yellow Birch which is more common down here. I have never seen any in the higher elevations maybe somebody has.

Aspen: I believe the Southern Appalachians probably just do not have the elevations & weather needed for these trees. Maybe there are some in isolated higher elevations.

Just curious. Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I wish there was a sustainable stand of American Chestnut trees.

My granpappy told me stories about the mountains looking like they were covered in snow when the chestnuts were in bloom when he was a young man.

So few of them now that most people have never seen a native chestnut. I know where there are a few, but only one larger than 20 inches or so at chest height

NWS

Yup. The blight took out the Am. Chestnut, I believe a lot of baby chestnut still sprout from old roots but they still pretty much die off quickly. Perhaps the discovery some years ago on Pine Mountain of a mature stand at FDR State Park & the research ongoing will help bring some of these trees back. I believe other isolated chestnut stands do exist and research is ongoing.

Interested though to see if anyone has had any sightings of native stands of the -3- trees I mentioned.

doomtrpr_z71

3 Species in particular: Native Stands (not planted) of Sugar Maple, White Birch & Aspen

Sugar Maple: I believe there are some very isolated stands of native reproducing Sugar Maple in some areas of higher elevations. Just wonder how common in TN, NC & N. GA. Not talking about non-native trees planted from the nursery that grow well south of the mountains.

White (Paper or Canoe) Birch: This is the very white paper-like birch you see way up north and not River Birch, Swamp or Yellow Birch which is more common down here. I have never seen any in the higher elevations maybe somebody has.

Aspen: I believe the Southern Appalachians probably just do not have the elevations & weather needed for these trees. Maybe there are some in isolated higher elevations.

Just curious. Thanks for any input.
There are a few sugar maples in NC/TN

download (8).jpeg

Paper birch is not going to be anywhere close to us, Michigan maybe but not NC or TN.

Aspens would be a little further south but you won't find one in NC or TN unless it was a big tooth Aspen then there are some very small pockets of them in NC and TN.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
Aspens won't be in the mountains of north Georgia either. Never seen a paper Birch in our neck of the woods. We have a lot of red maples, not so many sugar maples