Suppresors

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
My shop didn't have the kiosk but they helped me do everything. Like others have said - buy quality and a manufacture with a good customer service record. I had a baffle strike on one of mine and the company asked for it back, then sent it back repaired within the week.IMG_1573.jpeg

I also highly recommend modular suppressors (change length)

.The pictures are of the same suppressor on different weapons (and different lengths).

Suppressors get hot, so get yourself a suppressor cover if you plan to shoot quicklyIMG_7153.jpeg
Great company and a Georgia small bussiness

Duff

Great, helpful info y’all have given. One more question. How much noise is reduced with, say an Omega 300? 50%, 70%?

menhadenman

Great, helpful info y’all have given. One more question. How much noise is reduced with, say an Omega 300? 50%, 70%?
There’s a trade off between size (girth/length) and suppression. Smaller cans don’t do as well but handle easier and vice versa.

In my experience many cans will reduce most supersonic shots to a 22 LR. And you won’t get Hollywood quiet unless you have a mild blackout load pushing a 210 gr projectile with a long barrel. But it confuses the critters and the kids don’t need ear pro. I’m a fan.

I’d see what @Stevie Ray thinks about the omegas and noise reduction.

GunnSmokeer

couple more questions.
What’s the process of mounting? Gunsmith?

Do most put them on their favorite deer rifle, or buy a new one?

Also, I’m assuming you go through the entire process for each suppressor you purchase?

Thanks

Yes, each silencer you purchase has to be registered separately, and your ATF form 4 has to be approved, with its own waiting time. The process is slightly easier if you have a trust because you don't have to re-create the trust. You just have to send a copy of your trust (make it the "latest version" if you've done any amendments or changes to it) to ATF along with your application to register the suppressor.

GunnSmokeer

As for mounting a suppressor on your favorite deer rifle, that gun does not already have a threaded muzzle...

I would say that with the cost of having your gun's barrel threaded being close to $200 these days, I might just consider getting a new rifle that comes with the appropriate threads for the caliber suppressor you want to use.

If you need that silencer on your existing gun, don't let just any yahoo with a basement machine shop or some metal working experience thread your barrel. Silencers require precision threading that is concentric to the bore of the gun, not the outside dimensions of the gun barrel as it came from the factory.

FlipKing

Either thread your current rifle or buy threaded, buy a direct thread supressor and you can switch it between rifles as needed. As said above, the form 4, the $200, the wait, occurs for each individual supressor.

Stevie Ray

As said above, the form 4, the $200, the wait, occurs for each individual supressor.
^^^^^^^^^

Theeee most PIA process of the entire experience of owning a suppressor(s) (more s better!) and theeee number one reason to get the process started asap because waiting around for year or more can be quite taxing on your patience.

The only downside I can think of regarding my experience of owning one is why in the heck did I ever wait so long to get one, I can almost promise you you'll love having one.

transfixer

Does anybody know the process to get a suppressor, also the best kind to get? I have seen them but know absolutely nothing regarding the process to get, thanks for any info

If you're going to use it for hunting check into Witt machine co suppressors, they have one called the "Dirty 30" direct thread, they have good reviews, and they're only $299 plus the tax stamp, I've not bought a suppressor yet, but when I decide to my first one will be a Dirty 30

Jester896

Senior Clown
X2 on Armageddon Gear...have several of their products including their cover. Great folks there!

Another note on the modular ones mentioned...some of them both caps screw off and you can remove the baffles so cleaning from rim fire is a cake walk...my .30 cal is like that.

B. White

I talked to a guy that owns a business with a Silencer Shop kiosk when I bought the Sparrow for the 22. Suppressors is about all they do. They shoot a lot of them semi and full auto and said the Nomad was probably about the best all around for the money based on what they've seen. They have been out of stock every time I got the itch. That is probably a good thing.

01Foreman400

Staff member
The process is pretty easy if you go to a store with a kiosk and good customer service. I bought 2 this year. First one I bought in late February and got it late August. Second one I bought in late July and got it in early September.

HavocLover

One thing about it, you got go ahead and get the process started to get it done. One of my best friends is a gun guru and actually a certified gunsmith. (He doesn’t operate any business surrounding guns. Just a few personal builds here and there, but he is certified.) Anyways, he’s constantly talking about it, but worried sick about being on big brothers radar. My response to him is always, “If you aren’t already with the collection you have, you don’t have much to worry about. And if it comes to that, you have dudes like that demolition ranch guy that have a suppressor to every gun they have, they’ll go after him much longer before they’re worried bout lil ol Josh with his 1 can.”

It’s a heck of a mental game. I struggled with the idea for a while before buying the two I have. We’re so used to spending money and walking outta the store with the item in hand. It’s hard to understand you have to pay all this money up front, only to have the item in 7+ months.

We set up a trust and all and through the silencer shop kiosk/app we are even able to add folks to the trust. (It’s a little more involved than that. The added person has to go to a gun shop to get fingerprinted and all. But lots can be done through that app.)

I can’t speak for everyone but the cool factor never goes away for me. Shooting a gun and just knowing there should be a big boom, but it’s not there, it’s just as awesome on the 20th trigger pull as it was on the 1st.

scott stokes

I have a few.The last ones I purchased I did a trust. I done it at Georgia gun in Gainesville.it took around 6 months to get paper work back. I would do a trust and list the family members that are legal on the trust.

SCDieselDawg

I was clueless about the process up until this past spring. I'm good friends with the guys at my LGS. They had been on me for a while to buy one. Most of my reluctance came from being lazy and not wanting to do the paperwork. The kiosk made the process so much easier. If you have a reputable shop near you that has a kiosk. I would shop there.

Once everything is submitted comes the hard part. Waiting on approval. If you're wanting to use it for hunting. I'd suggest starting the process now.

The benefits are obvious. I run mine on a 7mm PRC. It went from being brutal on the ears, to comfortable to shoot without ear muffs. Side note: you'll be able to hear the bullet impact on solid targets including animals.

A bit of advice that often gets overlooked. Take into consideration barrel length. I am running a Silencer Co Harvester .300 on a Bergara with a 22" barrel. The overall length of the combo is 51", and a touch muzzle heavy. It's great for bench shooting and hunting from boxes (or with a rest of some sorts)