The "word of God"

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Second and early third century writers Clement of Alexandria, Origin, Tertullian, and Irenaeus quoted from almost the entire NT. The only books they left out were three or four I mentioned above.

The councils just formally recognized what was commonly understood.

Those writers "left out" 3 or 4 books. "quoted from ALMOST the entire NT".....

What was commonly understood had changes and challenges until 1545. They voted and made it official then.

Last edited:

stringmusic

Maybe thats the same reason your prayer to the cow doesn't work. You just don't believe it strongly enough.

Is there any measurable thing you have enough faith to produce through prayer that couldn't be produced with a prayer to the cow? I'm trying to give you every opportunity to substantiate your claim that praying to Jesus gets better results than praying to a cow.

Why, you would wouldn't accept it:rolleyes:

centerpin fan

Those writers "left out" 3 or 4 books. "Almost the entire NT".....

Yes, as I said previously, 2 Peter, John II and III, and James were disputed (or at least ignored) by some.

That is almost the entire NT. Go count the pages if you don't believe me.

What was commonly understood had changes and challenges until 1545. They voted and made it official then.

That's just not true. I can't believe you're actually bringing up Trent again, as if that had anything do with it. Seriously, have you read anything about Trent other than the stuff you C&P? (And, as I said, I'm not positive you read that.)

JFS

I would. And I think millions of other lost souls would too.

Me too. I can see Kennesaw Mountain from my window. Can you pray for that one so I can keep tabs on the results? I don't want to waste a minute on the conversion process waiting for some kind of news release.

stringmusic

I would. And I think millions of other lost souls would too.

If you dont believe now, you wouldn't believe if it happened. You'd probably chalk it up to some type of hallucination.

stringmusic

Me too. I can see Kennesaw Mountain from my window. Can you pray for that one so I can keep tabs on the results? I don't want to waste a minute on the conversion process waiting for some kind of news release.

see post #127

HawgJawl

If you dont believe now, you wouldn't believe if it happened. You'd probably chalk it up to some type of hallucination.

Then why did the disciples perform miracles when they were spreading Christianity?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yes, as I said previously, 2 Peter, John II and III, and James were disputed (or at least ignored) by some.

That is almost the entire NT. Go count the pages if you don't believe me.

That's just not true. I can't believe you're actually bringing up Trent again, as if that had anything do with it. Seriously, have you read anything about Trent other than the stuff you C&P? (And, as I said, I'm not positive you read that.)

Because you question what I read or do not read does not somehow make what you have read (or not) any more credible. YES I have read about all those councils. In those readings I have found enough information to show that the councils decided on what was accepted and what was not. How it goes is, I read the text, find what I want conveyed to you, and C&P that so you can see it.

"almost" implies that it is not the ENTIRE! Leave 3 or 4 out, add 3 or 4 books...that went on for centuries UNTIL....wait for it.....they V O T E D on what was the absolute official canon( among other things). Due to the reformation they wanted to be specific about what was official and what was not.

If you want to know why earlier councils did not keep accurate records of votes it is because they were very small councils compared to the later ones and until much later when the church was growing( and when the church, it beliefs, and practices) and started to be challenged, they got larger councils together and kept accurate records of it's decisions.

stringmusic

Then why did the disciples perform miracles when they were spreading Christianity?

You'll have to ask someone besides me. It seems Huntinfool is giving yourself and Atlashunter very articulate and Biblical answers in the other thread.

HawgJawl

You'll have to ask someone besides me. It seems Huntinfool is giving yourself and Atlashunter very articulate and Biblical answers in the other thread.

I agree that's a more appropriate thread for this topic. Come on over there and continue. :cheers:

centerpin fan

In those readings I have found enough information to show that the councils decided on what was accepted and what was not.

Will you at least grant me that 1546 AD comes after 200 AD? Will you further grant me that whatever canon debate came up at Trent, it was solely in response to Protestant theology?

"almost" implies that it is not the ENTIRE!

Yeah, I get that. If it'll make you feel better, buy a Bible and tear out James, 2 Peter, and II & III John. You'll be holding about ten pages in your hand. Then, tell me one Christian doctrine that would change.

Leave 3 or 4 out, add 3 or 4 books...that went on for centuries...

Absolutely, positively not true. St. Athanasius listed every NT book in 367.

If you want to know why earlier councils did not keep accurate records of votes it is because they were very small councils compared to the later ones and until much later when the church was growing( and when the church, it beliefs, and practices) and started to be challenged, they got larger councils together and kept accurate records of it's decisions.

Over 300 bishops attended Nicea to deal with the most important issue of the day ... and we have records of it. There is absolutely no reason to believe they would not have done the same if there was a council on the canon.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Yes, you to your parts and me to mine.

atlashunter

String, if your original statement about praying to Jesus having the opposite results of praying to a cow were really true it wouldn't be difficult to substantiate. It was a cute retort but wrong all the same.