Thermal Scope Recommendations - Predator | Hog | Multi-caliber

Tight Lines

This is an impossibility. A thermal is a thermal day or night. What you may be thinking of are things like the ATN X-Sight or in my case the Sightmark Wraith. These are not thermals but IR sensitive digital cameras basically.

If you haven't seen enough here, here is the link to a thread I started in the Firearms section on the same topic.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/thermal-scopes.1024617/

I've been pleased with my Wraith but it has its limitations and like you I am looking to add a thermal to my cabinet and will likely go with a Pulsar, which I have been told is a FRENCH core, not Chinese as someone posted (still don't know the actual truth of this but will find out soon), but the Trijicon is a little more than I'd like to explain to the missus. Plan on visiting a shop in the near future to have a long discussion with someone far more knowledgeable in these things before I make the purchase. Biggest question is, what's the difference between the XG, XM, XP and XQ models of what appear to be the exact same scope (Thermion and Trail) and what is the difference between both of those other than design.

Id be happy to have a conversation with you about the digital night vision if youre interested. If you're convenient to Athens we could meet up or just shoot me a PM and we can work something out.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply and offering to meet up. I get by Athens on the way to the leases.

What I meant by day / night is some of the optics that sit in front of your normal scope but I'm still learning about those...

My primary LGS has a Swaro coming in like that I think but sure that's the same cost as a Trijicon when paired with another Swaro scope...

Ideally I'd like to have either a convertible or QC mounts so I can swap a scope and thermal off of the 6MM ARC.

Thanks again I'm researching what you guys are posting!

ChidJ

I think the device that really fits your use parameters doesn't quite fit your budget. The PoT Voodoo will do everything you are talking about but they are pricey

chase870

Possum Sox
I've been looking and saving...I will have one before year end...
keep saving what you dont spend on the thermal invest in ammo and practice shooting at different ranges. I shoot my life size yote target a good bit out to 250 yards or so. It gives me a good idea how a yote's goanna look and which magnification is best at each distance, as well as shooting off a tripod practice

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I’m noodling on the idea of Hogster, Rattler, or Talion. Guys seem to like them.
I'm going to get the talion after my old rxq30 kicks the bucket. Those 4 year warranties are great until you have to send them in every year for repairs.

I had to send mine to pulsar out of warranty and it cost me more in shipping and insurance than it did the repair @ $38 and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks.

menhadenman

I'm going to get the talion after my old rxq30 kicks the bucket. Those 4 year warranties are great until you have to send them in every year for repairs.

I had to send mine to pulsar out of warranty and it cost me more in shipping and insurance than it did the repair @ $38 and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks.
How many years can a fella expect to get out of one with light use?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've been looking and saving...I will have one before year end...

Hot tip - before you buy the scope invest in a low profile gas block. Otherwise the heat signature will cause problems for your scope.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
How many years can a fella expect to get out of one with light use?
Mine is going on 5 years, one repair this year. I wore out the rubber pad on the buttons and the wires in the battery compartment worked loose. Probably had 1000 rounds of .308 on it. I want the talion but this one keeps going.

Tight Lines

Update, still in the game and have not bought anything else. Ended up spending my play money on a new AC unit and a hunting trailer for the lease...so still saving the pennies...

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
This is an impossibility. A thermal is a thermal day or night. What you may be thinking of are things like the ATN X-Sight or in my case the Sightmark Wraith. These are not thermals but IR sensitive digital cameras basically.

If you haven't seen enough here, here is the link to a thread I started in the Firearms section on the same topic.

https://forum.gon.com/threads/thermal-scopes.1024617/

I've been pleased with my Wraith but it has its limitations and like you I am looking to add a thermal to my cabinet and will likely go with a Pulsar, which I have been told is a FRENCH core, not Chinese as someone posted (still don't know the actual truth of this but will find out soon), but the Trijicon is a little more than I'd like to explain to the missus. Plan on visiting a shop in the near future to have a long discussion with someone far more knowledgeable in these things before I make the purchase. Biggest question is, what's the difference between the XG, XM, XP and XQ models of what appear to be the exact same scope (Thermion and Trail) and what is the difference between both of those other than design.

Id be happy to have a conversation with you about the digital night vision if youre interested. If you're convenient to Athens we could meet up or just shoot me a PM and we can work something out.
As an update to this, Pulsar has since released the Thermion DPX50. They say it is BOTH thermal and digital optic. Some info.

Also in the Firearms forum some are posting a couple of shops with deals on IRAY thermals at around $3000. If you can get past the Chinese core this is a really good price for a pretty good optic. My buddy has one and it has remarkable clarity.

I just couldn't support the chinaman and recently purchased a Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 LRF. Got a pretty good deal on ebay, brand new at about $4700 as opposed to $5999 retail. Sighted it in but haven't had it "in the field" yet. Plan on rectifying that this weekend.

Tight Lines

As an update to this, Pulsar has since released the Thermion DPX50. They say it is BOTH thermal and digital optic. Some info.

Also in the Firearms forum some are posting a couple of shops with deals on IRAY thermals at around $3000. If you can get past the Chinese core this is a really good price for a pretty good optic. My buddy has one and it has remarkable clarity.

I just couldn't support the chinaman and recently purchased a Pulsar Trail 2 XP50 LRF. Got a pretty good deal on ebay, brand new at about $4700 as opposed to $5999 retail. Sighted it in but haven't had it "in the field" yet. Plan on rectifying that this weekend.
I saw that new Thermion. That's pretty awesome and way less expensive than the Swaro combination set up...might be interesting...

Tight Lines

How important is the 12µm vs the 17µm?