Thermal Scope Recommendations - Predator | Hog | Multi-caliber

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
This place has some good prices, @KS Bow Hunter

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I had the opportunity to pig hunt with a thermal scope in Texas. The one I used was an ATN Thor 4. My takeaway was that it was great to see game at a distance, but outside about 100 yds, it was hard to make out what it was. Difference between deer and hog was evident, but outside of 100 yds, it was just a bright blob in the scope. The other issue I found is that looking through the thermal scope constantly 'blew out' my vision whenever I took my eye away from the scope. It's pretty bright looking through that constantly. I found myself having to close my scope eye when I came up out of the scope, and use my non-dominant eye to see with for a minute or two before my vision returned to normal in the dominant eye.

As a result, when I purchased one, I ended up getting a night vision scope instead of a thermal scope. I bought the ATN X-Sight 4k, which I got for under $700 (vs. $2000 for the Thor 4). I haven't hunted with it yet, but it is very clear looking around the yard out to 50-75 yds, comes with an illuminator, and was easy to sight in. Looking forward to post-deer season when I can put it to the test.

sghoghunter

I've watched a few of the Outdoor Legacy shows...still have not pulled the trigger...

Call outdoor legacy and talk to Hans or Jason and tell them exactly what you plan on doing and what your price range is and they will help you out. Even if you don’t buy from them they will still help. They don’t only sell one brand they sell all brands and test everything they sell. Only thing they won’t sell is ATN,that should tell you enough about the company.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If you are still shopping, take a good look at the RIX Leap 6...

30013.jpeg30011.jpeg
These were pics I took on a hog hunt that didn't pan out.

I have not "gone thermal" yet, but I do have the RIX Tourer Digital NV scope.

It is a big step up from the original Sightmark Wraith, all the way around.

One look at the Tourer, and the Wraith got sold.

bighonkinjeep

Call outdoor legacy and talk to Hans or Jason and tell them exactly what you plan on doing and what your price range is and they will help you out. Even if you don’t buy from them they will still help. They don’t only sell one brand they sell all brands and test everything they sell. Only thing they won’t sell is ATN,that should tell you enough about the company.
I called them before I bought mine and they seemed aggravated by my questions and in a hurry. Treated.me like a tire kicker.
In short their online video schtick didnt translate to my phone experience.
I did find some of their videos educational but bought elsewhere and didnt have to pay tax.

From what I've been seeing the Infiray RICOs deserve a serious look. (Bering optics uses Infiray cores)

Last edited:

sghoghunter

If you are still shopping, take a good look at the RIX Leap 6...

View attachment 1276055View attachment 1276056
These were pics I took on a hog hunt that didn't pan out.

I have not "gone thermal" yet, but I do have the RIX Tourer Digital NV scope.

It is a big step up from the original Sightmark Wraith, all the way around.

One look at the Tourer, and the Wraith got sold.

I’ve saw quite a few people asking why the pictures and videos are so dark. They seem to have a good image but I’m like the rest about the dark. Here’s a pic of my Hogster. The first one was a good clear cool night and the other was high humidity during the rain

Attachments

• IMG_1255.jpeg
    IMG_1255.jpeg
    141.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I’ve saw quite a few people asking why the pictures and videos are so dark. They seem to have a good image but I’m like the rest about the dark. Here’s a pic of my Hogster. The first one was a good clear cool night and the other was high humidity during the rain

I am not very well informed about thermals, the RIX is the only one I've ever used.

What I can tell you, is that the RIX has several different images you can pick, and the one I showed the pics of was the one I liked best.

IIRC, you can make the target black instead of white, and there are also a couple of colored settings as well as different brightness settings you can set up.

To a guy who is NOT up to speed on all the technology, that RIX L6 blew my mind... :bounce:

Also, a friend who is way deep into killin' coyotes (avg. 50 a year) with thermals sold off some much higher priced gear and bought a pair of the RIX's.

I don't know what equipment he had before, but his comment was that at $3900 the RIX was amazing, and better than stuff costing much more.

That's about all I can say, due to my very limited experience.

Thermals are a VERY cool toy, but I will have to just tag along with the "big boys" from time to time, and play with theirs...I just ain't into it enough to drop the cash on one.

menhadenman

I wound up getting a Rattler TS25-384 about a year ago after talking to outdoor legacy guys (they were pretty helpful).

I like it a lot but there are a couple things I don’t care for. For one, it’s kinda glitchy at times. Makes a clicking sound here and there. Two, it drains batteries at a ridiculous rate. I’m talking 20 minutes if hunting with fresh Panasonics. And because of that I’m sitting with a battery bank zip tied to the stock.

It does shoot well and the ap is cool when I’m hunting with the kids. But I’d probably suggest checking out other options if you’re itching to spend $2k.