Thoughts? From people with non-sheeple brains

WaltL1

Originally Posted by centerpin fan View Post
I thought his references to King James as "inbred or homosexual" and a "likely pedophile" were outstanding for a first-timer.
If by outstanding you mean distilled vitriol, then I agree with you.
Uh oh :bounce:
King James I, among his many other faults, preferred young boys to adult women. He was a flaming homosexual. His activities in that regard have been recorded in numerous books and public records; so much so, that there is no room for debate on the subject. The King was queer.
http://www.gospelassemblyfree.com/facts/kingjames.htm

StriperrHunterr

Ok, so he was a pedophilic homosexual. That says a little about the version of the Bible given that the proscriptions against both sins remain intact in that Bible, and a lot about the man for ignoring them. It says 0 about the faith or religion, and is tangential to the "proof" that the OP demanded.

It's a case for tossing the baby out with the bathwater, which is just ludicrous.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Well that is true but also the problem. Being that it is not universally accepted and if a jury was made of worldwide religious believers I do not think a unanimous verdict will be had.

Which is where the discussion of faith comes in.

In fact the majority will disagree that it is actual eye-witness testimony.

Based on what? It could be recorded 3 generations later from verbal testimony and still be eye witness testimony. It just took a while to be recorded where we have it today.

StriperrHunterr

Which is where the discussion of faith comes in.

Based on what? It could be recorded 3 generations later from verbal testimony and still be eye witness testimony. It just took a while to be recorded where we have it today.

I think verbal testimony that far removed from the source is called hearsay.

I doubt any judge would allow you on the stand with, "well my grandfather's cousin's friend heard it from Jimbo's mouth..." and remain as a credible witness. Opposing counsel would object and be sustained in less than a heartbeat, I think.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I think verbal testimony that far removed from the source is called hearsay.

I doubt any judge would allow you on the stand with, "well my grandfather's cousin's friend heard it from Jimbo's mouth..." and remain as a credible witness. Opposing counsel would object and be sustained in less than a heartbeat, I think.

Similar.....but we are talking about a culture which passed things along like that. We don't know if person A "heard" person B, or, transferred person B's letter to the document.

I just bought my kid a copy of "The Art of War." Sun Tzu may not have written that book either........to believe such, we are relying on "hear say" according to your perspective.

WaltL1

Ok, so he was a pedophilic homosexual. That says a little about the version of the Bible given that the proscriptions against both sins remain intact in that Bible, and a lot about the man for ignoring them. It says 0 about the faith or religion, and is tangential to the "proof" that the OP demanded.

It's a case for tossing the baby out with the bathwater, which is just ludicrous.
No argument here. Just pointing out the OP did have some "evidence" behind his statement he so gladly threw out there.

WaltL1

Similar.....but we are talking about a culture which passed things along like that. We don't know if person A "heard" person B, or, transferred person B's letter to the document.

I just bought my kid a copy of "The Art of War." Sun Tzu may not have written that book either........to believe such, we are relying on "hear say" according to your perspective.
Ive read the covers off of mine :)

StriperrHunterr

That's not saying that the lessons contained in both are invalid. That's just saying that trying to credibly say that the purported author wrote it is impossible to prove.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Ive read the covers off of mine :)

Yea.....it's fantastic. I told him to apply it to a bussiness mindset when he reads it (enemy is internal and external competition type stuff) and view the lessons metaphorically. He's only 14, but, I am trying to give him as much head start as possible.

StriperrHunterr

Yea.....it's fantastic. I told him to apply it to a bussiness mindset when he reads it (enemy is internal and external competition type stuff) and view the lessons metaphorically. He's only 14, but, I am trying to give him as much head start as possible.

Follow that one up with Clausewitz

StriperrHunterr

Ok, haven't read him. Did a quick wiki search, interesting. I wonder if there is a collected works out there?

Specifically, On War. It's about how war and politics are related, the true nature of war, and the reasons why it is waged. It gives a great crucible by which to measure actionable ideas against. It's a tad dry, though, but if he can get through Tzu then it should be ok.

Starship Troopers is also a much better book than the movie would have suggested.

WaltL1

Its definitely applicable to the business world.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

Based on accuracy.
Stories change from one day to the next, let alone 3 generations.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
JB, when Jesus went to the desert for 40 days and every other time he was alone or when his followers were asleep....WHO were the eye-witnesses to these events? How did someone record these events word for word 3 generations later when there was absolutely no one there to witness any of it?