Victorious or Vanquished this year? You decide!!!

Jim Boyd

OK, folks – the changes are slight… but they are there.

Summer solstice is past and we are now losing 2 minutes per day of daylight per day.

Those that rise (or go to bed) on a regular schedule may have already noticed these changes. Believe me when I say this, too – people are slow and dull witted when compared to nature, comparatively speaking.

The trees and plant life have most assuredly taken notice. Now is the time to produce fruit and nut….

Animals? You can bet they know, or at least their bodies do. We focus on deer – so let’s just know this… the signs that pre-date the rut have begun.

The slight chemical changes that are produced by photoperiodicity (sunlight through the eye) will, in the not too distant future - cause the bucks to come out of the velvet stage (60 days +/-). From then on, their entire life goes through a transformation that is at once awesome and awful, particularly for the male of the species.

The tree rubs start, followed by the beginning of the scrapes. Bachelor groups that banded loosely together all summer long break apart. Gone are the days of rest, solitude and feeding lazily. Coming now are the days of cruising, fights among the males, longer travel routes, exposure to dangers of many types, less and less food and ultimately, breeding. It is a quest that they cannot deny, even if they tried.

We are still a long ways out – the dog days loom in earnest – but before we know it… that first low humidity, 60 degree morning will greet us and we will know the time is at hand.

Some will take to the trees in the middle of August, searching for a velvet trophy.

Come about the 3rd Saturday in September, the trees in Georgia will come alive with archery hunters!

In October, the muzzleloaders and centerfires will come out in force.

For some lucky or determined hunters, the first two weeks of November will find themselves in the Midwest or some other out of state destinations that are even more exotic yet. White knuckled hands will grasp archery equipment while their hearts hammer out like a drum bass at the sight of antlered beast the likes of which they have never seen. Will they perform admirably? Some will and some wont…

My prayer is that hunters will find kindness to each other, we will serve one another and we will enjoy – with love and good humor – the comradery that is deer season.

Best of 2018, folks….. it IS coming!

Last edited:

Rabun

Thank you JB! Some very nice insight and sentiment in your post. All the best to you and your's and a safe and productive season to all as well!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We are still a long ways out – the dog days loom in earnest – but before we know it… that first low humidity, 60 degree morning will greet us and we will know the time is at hand.

That day is the day my mind and body come all the way back to being fully alive. It's like electricity flowing through my body.

I plead insanity your honor. I'm just crazy about deer hunting.

Jim Boyd

Great sentiments, Elfii!

Yesir very well spoken. Now don't forget about the corn harvest, its gonna happen between now and Sept.

bilgerat

Senior
yea, Very well said!!!! and all yall archery hunters wait till the 3 Saturday in September, Ill have the woods all to Myself on the second Saturday:D

Mexican Squealer

Deer hunting is a great diversion when it's not duck or turkey season. Looking forward to killing a SC duck food eating giant in August.

Jim Boyd

yea, Very well said!!!! and all yall archery hunters wait till the 3 Saturday in September, Ill have the woods all to Myself on the second Saturday:D

Oops!

Did I screw that up?

Have not hunted in Ga for a few years now....

Thanks guys, for the kind comments.

Gonna be building a braced ladder to take a damaged two man stand to 18’ to the floor today. Will be my last ladder stand refurb of 2018, I think.

Best of luck to all!

Jim Boyd

Deer hunting is a great diversion when it's not duck or turkey season. Looking forward to killing a SC duck food eating giant in August.

MS

I am gonna work to see if I can get a decent velvet buck in range (I need 30 yards or less) but it is tough with arrow...

Lots of them will get popped in Ag fields about 30 mins before dark tho!

Mark K

Banned
We never quit working since deer season ended last year. Every day spent in the woods is a lesson learned. When scouting for whatever season is coming next you notice every other critters habits. I recently started coyote trapping and the summer world has really opened up my eyes. (I normally hibernate all summer) The heat is horrible but I’m learning our woods and the deer like it was programmed in me. Some would argue too much scent in the woods, but this is a working “farm” that constantly has human scent throughout. I think people would be surprised at how laid back the deer, including bucks, are during this time of year. How any game animal survives is beyond me. I honestly believe I could catch quail, rabbits, and squirrels with my bare hands right now. Turkeys are still a little cautious, but I’ve been within 20-40 yards multiple times while running traps (not trying to be quiet) Had a bachelor group of nice bucks within 50 yards watch me check my cameras then get them on camera 10 minutes after I left on the next check.
Will I kill a trophy this year? Who knows. I didn’t kill a buck last year because of picking the wrong pin, lol. I wanted that deer with my bow but passed him 3 different times with a gun. It seems every 3 year old we passed last year waiting just one more year has been replaced by more 3 year olds that just need one more year, lol. It’s still early yet to start picking kills for this year or deciding just to wait and see what the rut brings in. Regardless, I’ll be swinging in a tree this season!