Vintage Lures

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Y’all made me bite. Had go to the garage to find the only one I have left. Little Cleo Wigl. Quick internet search says it’s 1950s/60s.

My uncle (mid 80s today but still sharp) gave me a bunch of tackle back in the 90s and a few of these gems were in the mix. Of course I didn’t know better and burnt a few down trying to catch those daggone grass pickerel.

I should probably get this one framed. Near as I can tell @Nicodemus and @NCHillbilly have seen a couple lures, curious if they’ve crossed this one.

View attachment 1234997View attachment 1234998
Oh yeah. They still make them. I used to troll them a lot in the lakes around here for trout and walleye. I still have several.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I know acme is still around but haven’t seen the Wigl with the topless dancer?

Definitely a good trout spoon
I don't thnk they still have the logo, but they still make the Little Cleo spoon like that. The firetiger version is the deal for trout and walleye. I've still got one of those old silver ones like yours with the dirty picture on the belly.

Jim Boyd

Oldest “new” lure I recall was a “Bayou Boogie” for striper trolling.

Would have been ‘66 or ‘67.

Wood boat.

35 Seahorse, which was a big engine back then.

Tiny Lund had a fish camp at Santee.

Men drank and played cards at night.

Us kids probably snuck a cigarette or two, maybe a beer and went out in Jon boats and paddled around.

Was a winter deal, chasing the birds. Very cold, as I recall.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Wood boat.

Us kids probably snuck a cigarette or two, maybe a beer and went out in Jon boats and paddled around.

Didn`t Tiny Lund hold the world record for a landlocked striped bass back then? I forgot the weight.

Jim Boyd

Didn`t Tiny Lund hold the world record for a landlocked striped bass back then? I forgot the weight.

Hmmm, I do not know.

My dad made the papers several times with 35-40 lbs- if I recall correctly.

I was a 8-10 year old kid. Been a while back.

Jim Boyd

We stayed often at Blacks - where you ate in the kitchen with the family in the evenings.

And they had a vending machine that made hot cocoa. Think it was a dime.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member

Wood boat.

I had never seen a Bayou Boogie until the lures I was gifted. There were a number of them in the haul and I thought those jokers would still catch the mess out of fish. I'll have to give it a go just to see.IMG_5923.jpeg

cowhornedspike

We stayed often at Blacks - where you ate in the kitchen with the family in the evenings.

And they had a vending machine that made hot cocoa. Think it was a dime.

Tiny held THE World record for a while...not just landlocked. 55 lbs if I remember correctly.

We stayed at Rocks Pond when we went to Santee. Fun lake to fish but gets real rough when the wind picks up!

Big7

The Oracle

Wood boat.

Passed by Blacks Camp many times leaving from Hill's Landing.

Still a lot of huge Striper and Catfish in Lake Moultrie but according to my late guide and buddy JP Clark, you don't catch a monster just about every time you throw out like it was in the old days.

They have changed the limit where you can only keep 2 over a certain length now.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Passed by Blacks Camp many times leaving from Hill's Landing.

Still a lot of huge Striper and Catfish in Lake Moultrie but according to my late guide and buddy JP Clark, you don't catch a monster just about every time you throw out like it was in the old days.

They have changed the limit where you can only keep 2 over a certain length now.
I fished a striper tournament over there in December. The big stripers are pretty much a thing of the past. A 20+ shows up once in a blue moon. The SCDNR is working hard to bring that fishery back with the slot and stockings. You can smash some numbers though. I'd never seen the lake before and we were averaging 50+ fish days. All between 2-9 lbs.

We stayed at Black's and had a super good time. Seriously thinking about heading back this December just to fun fish.

Lukikus2

Lure Knocker. For you younger guys. The cotton rope was replaced with the nylon in the 80’s.

James12

What a great thread!

I wouldn’t call this worm Vintage, but does anyone know the name of the long black worm my dad would buy in a package, ready with 2 installed hooks with weedgaurds on em? I think it was black with pokadots or something

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What a great thread!

I wouldn’t call this worm Vintage, but does anyone know the name of the long black worm my dad would buy in a package, ready with 2 installed hooks with weedgaurds on em? I think it was black with pokadots or something

It wasn`t a Creme Worm, was it?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
What a great thread!

Walmart still sells Creme Worms.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I remember a notched hard rubber worm rigged much like that called a black eel. Seems like maybe made by Weber Co.
The pork rind people made a notched rind eel dyed black. You could twitch it along in the cover, good bait.