Vintage Lures

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Just a few of my 50+ year old lures. Going through my freshwater box today and retiring the old ones. Devil's Horse, Mudbug, Dying Flutter, Johnson Spoon, original Rapala's, Lucky 13, Dalton Special, and as I dig deeper into my stash, I'll find other collectables. These are the ones I can't afford to lose so I am retiring them. Some are older than I am.20230602_154210.jpg

35 Whelen

Hope you find a Creek Chub Fin Tail Shiner.

Big7

The Oracle
Just a few of my 50+ year old lures. Going through my freshwater box today and retiring the old ones. Devil's Horse, Mudbug, Dying Flutter, Johnson Spoon, original Rapala's, Lucky 13, Dalton Special, and as I dig deeper into my stash, I'll find other collectables. These are the ones I can't afford to lose so I am retiring them. Some are older than I am.
Nice collection for sure.

I had a bunch that came from an old widow's house I was helping my X clean out so she could move into assisted living.

I'm missing that bag and have no idea where it went. Hope it turns up. Prolly 50 or so and some were wood.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Hope you find a Creek Chub Fin Tail Shiner.
I've got one in the original box hidden in a moving box around here somewhere, guess I'll find it next time I move or over the next 6 months as I decide what goes into our new storage building.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have few of those “experienced” lures. Caught more fish of several species on this little lure in the 70s and 80s. The small model is about an inch long they also made a larger model about 13/4 inch as well.

I still enjoy catching panfish on these.IMG_1388.jpeg

Fishin & Hunting

Back in the 60's my Dad set me up with my first tackle box. He put some of his special lures in it to make it special. What I didn't lose, I passed down to my grandsons last summer when I set them up with their first tackle box. Maybe they will have some to pass down to their kids later one.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I cringe when I think how many of those I lost back in the day. I broke my last original Hellbender off on a big striper in Badin Lake that wrapped me around a sunken tree.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Back in the 60's my Dad set me up with my first tackle box. He put some of his special lures in it to make it special. What I didn't lose, I passed down to my grandsons last summer when I set them up with their first tackle box. Maybe they will have some to pass down to their kids later one.
Thats way cool!

GA1dad

Nice ones Nic! I've lost several of those in my life too.

I just picked this one up the other day at the flea market. It brings back lots of youthful memories. I wanna change out the hooks for some off of a Whopper Plopper,,, thems is mighty sticky.

I also buy every older Rapala Floating Minnow I can find. Wish I could find some original Pop-R's.

20230602_202302.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
I mentioned above I thought I lost a bunch.
Well, just found half of them but not the bag that had most of the wood vintage stuff.

To start with, I found a Dalton Flash. It's plastic but I ain't never seen one. TOP

And a Baby Dalton Special. Never seen one of them either. It's wood and I found one on the net for 70$ BOTTOM
20230602_215535.jpg

Big7

The Oracle
Found this Johnson Silver Minnow still in the pack marked $1.49. Have a few in a jumble that needs to be separated and cleaned.

Weedless hook must have been hand soldered back then because it's just a big blob on the inner side of the spoon.

Net says the #1110 under "vintage" going around 20$.20230602_220903.jpg

Last edited:

Mauser

Grandaddy had two of my great uncle Daego Sawyer’s handmade jigga lures that he had rigged up and wound up on a piece of board ready to tie on and I cannot find them makes me so durn mad.

menhadenman

I’ve got a few classics myself. Including my favorite spoon, the little Cleo Wigl Lure with the topless dancer engraved on it.

Not sure if I can post without getting my hand slapped so will wait for Nic or NCH to give me the green light. My understanding is they ran them until 1966 before someone got offended.

Big7

The Oracle
Found 2 identical Jitterbugs. They are wood and need to be cleaned. That white stuff will wipe off when I get around to it.

You can tell they are really old. Might try to track that down if the box has a part number.
16857590613564626407157858294795.jpg

Havana Dude

Nice collection Nic.

brings back a sickening memory for me. I lost my only grandpa when I wa s5. I got fish with him one time, in 1970. He died 3/71. I got all his old fishing tackle etc. in my stupidity, and being a naive youngun, I kept it all in my tackle box as I fished in my 20’s.one night, Some lowlife scum stole all of my fishing equipment, rods/reels, tackle boxes, etc. even at my age, I’m somewhat of an old soul, and appreciate things of that nature. In my mind, it was comforting to know I had his stuff with me when I fished. That was in the early 90‘s, and I’ve not had the same passion for fishing since. I still love it, I just rarely go. Sorry that got a little long….