Walmart closing on Thanksgiving....

oldfella1962

I’d rather do the self checkout than have to deal with Shanika that obviously despises white people.
Hmmm.....despises white people? So I'm NOT just imagining things.:unsure:

Baroque Brass

Hmmm.....despises white people? So I'm NOT just imagining things.:unsure:
Definitely a change of attitude between the black person ahead of me and when I got to the checkout. One time the cashier didn’t speak a single word to me throughout the checkout process.

transfixer

Definitely a change of attitude between the black person ahead of me and when I got to the checkout. One time the cashier didn’t speak a single word to me throughout the checkout process.

I've had that happen sometimes, but I live in an area where the local Food Depot and Dollar General is frequented by that demographic, and many of the cashiers are black, but I've found if you're polite and friendly the majority of them are as well, its funny sometimes, cause I'm 6ft, 230lbs, bald , with a fu-manchu mustache, and have a visible tattoo or two, but yet many of them are friendly and talkative ?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I am old enough to remember when we used to check the receipts to be sure the cashier got it right.
Me too. I believed the cashiers were trained to flip numbers to make the price of an item more expensive when they used to punch the price in before bar codes. i.e. 0.29 became 0.92

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have learned that is can be important to check the price posted on the shelf against the price that rings up at the checkout in the big box stores where they don't mark all the items individually.:wink:

oldfella1962

I am old enough to remember when we used to check the receipts to be sure the cashier got it right.
I still do but generally only when something seems a bit off. Like instead of charging you for one orange, they charge you for cost of the whole bag. :mad: I don't pay attention to exactly what things cost, but if it's a major difference between what I normally pay, I'll spot it and ask the clerk what is going on.

oldfella1962

I've mentioned this before but my pet shopping peeve (or one my top five peeves) that many stores do is not double-bagging sharp edged heavy items! :mad: I shouldn't have to ask them to double bag what very obviously has a high probability of tearing through their two molecules thick plastic bags. :mad: Coming in a very close second place is not turning on their light to indicate that their lane is open. :( Right behind that in third place is not having those divider sticks to separate your purchase from the people in front & behind you in line. :( Would it be rude to bring my own collapsible divider sticks to the store? More importantly, would any of them "get the hint" and gather divider sticks before they open their lanes? :unsure:
Sidenote, I have a theory: every Walmart employee should try out for the Olympics. Why you ask? Because as soon as you ask them for help, they run off to the other side of the store breaking what would surely be a World Record in sprinting. :LOL: By the time the words "uhhhh - not my department - I'll get somebody!" are hitting your ears they are in another time zone.

Last edited:

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I was at Ingles this morning to get a few things. Black woman with her husband/boyfriend didn't have money to pay. She was on the phone to do something, not sure what. Cashier said to me, "you can use self checkout". I said no ma'am, I don't work here. She said it's gonna be a minute then. I said that's fine. Finally a manager came over and deleted her whole order. Cashier asked how come I didn't use the self checkout. I asked if I could've gotten the employee discount. She then proceeded to look at me weird. I had fun with it, she was understanding to a point. She still didn't get it.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I was at Ingles this morning to get a few things. Black woman with her husband/boyfriend didn't have money to pay. She was on the phone to do something, not sure what. Cashier said to me, "you can use self checkout". I said no ma'am, I don't work here. She said it's gonna be a minute then. I said that's fine. Finally a manager came over and deleted her whole order. Cashier asked how come I didn't use the self checkout. I asked if I could've gotten the employee discount. She then proceeded to look at me weird. I had fun with it, she was understanding to a point. She still didn't get it.
She might have been promoted on the Peter Principle.

transfixer

I've mentioned this before but my pet shopping peeve (or one my top five peeves) that many stores do is not double-bagging sharp edged heavy items! :mad: I shouldn't have to ask them to double bag what very obviously has a high probability of tearing through their two molecules thick plastic bags. :mad: Coming in a very close second place is not turning on their light to indicate that their lane is open. :( Right behind that in third place is not having those divider sticks to separate your purchase from the people in front & behind you in line. :( Would it be rude to bring my own collapsible divider sticks to the store? More importantly, would any of them "get the hint" and gather divider sticks before they open their lanes? :unsure:
Sidenote, I have a theory: every Walmart employee should try out for the Olympics. Why you ask? Because as soon as you ask them for help, they run off to the other side of the store breaking what would surely be a World Record in sprinting. :LOL: By the time the words "uhhhh - not my department - I'll get somebody!" are hitting your ears they are in another time zone.

In order for them to do what you're asking they would need to have an IQ above room temperature, and some common sense , while it has been a very long time since I've been in a Walmart, I don't remember seeing any employees that had either !

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Me too. I believed the cashiers were trained to flip numbers to make the price of an item more expensive when they used to punch the price in before bar codes. i.e. 0.29 became 0.92
The good ole days. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Core Lokt

I will say when they are open most employees are on their phone and not customer friendly like "don't bother me"..