We are getting screwed in Decatur County - Season Dates

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As to what else could've been done? How about mailing a notice to each licensed hunter in the state about the proposals and upcoming actions. You'd get 100% notice and much greater participation than what this was, which appeared to be a way to achieve a predetermined objective and make it appear legitimate.

How about this? You bookmark this site and check it regularly. :pop::rolleyes:

http://www.georgiawildlife.org/

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
GA DNR has my email address through license purchases over the years, and I have never once got an email from them about any regulations or anything that I can remember. Reaching out to hunters through a subscriber website is not an accurate / efficient means of getting the word out. Maybe they should actually send emails to everyone who purchased a license and require an email address for that very purpose.

As I mentioned above, the meetings were advertised in the hunting regulations and by several other means. Every hunter should be reading those regulation guides at least annually. A subscriber website was only one of those means.

You have to select an option to receive such emails when you create a new account in the license system. Otherwise, you'll only receive emails about your account. You can also sign up here: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/GADNR/subscriber/new

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
You've cited press releases and half a dozen forum posts quoting the press releases. I'd wager that less than 3% of the states registered hunters actively view this board. I've got no clue who monitors DNR press releases. And, from reading the press releases, it was a predetermined action where the DNR had already declared the state's hunters want a unified season.

As to what else could've been done? How about mailing a notice to each licensed hunter in the state about the proposals and upcoming actions. You'd get 100% notice and much greater participation than what this was, which appeared to be a way to achieve a predetermined objective and make it appear legitimate.

The declaration that hunters wanted a unified season came from the 18 public meetings for Georgia's Deer Management Plan, public comments from meetings for several years leading up to that, and multiple hunter surveys conducted over that time period. It was clear that a majority wanted a uniform season, so the last series of meetings focused on when to end it.

As I mentioned above, the meetings were advertised in the hunting regulations and by several other means. Every hunter should be reading those regulation guides at least annually. A subscriber website was only one of those means.

You have to select an option to receive such emails when you create a new account in the license system. Otherwise, you'll only receive emails about your account. You can also sign up here: https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/GADNR/subscriber/new

Thanks for the link. Really hope something can be done going forward, but I have my doubts after my experiences with this matter.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
B/c the state has an obligation to provide adequate notice. I (or other hunters) don't have an obligation to check every so often to make sure the state isn't up to funny business. And, the state works for us, not the other way around.

The hunting regulations guide is adequate notice to reach hunters. All the other means used are an added bonus. The public meetings were mentioned on the from cover of the regulations in bold.

otis

The declaration that hunters wanted a unified season came from the 18 public meetings for Georgia's Deer Management Plan, public comments from meetings for several years leading up to that, and multiple hunter surveys conducted over that time period. It was clear that a majority wanted a uniform season, so the last series of meetings focused on when to end it.

I think the rub (again no pun intended) is it was the "majority" of those that were aware and responded.

It's also, imo, worth noting that 60% of the state's population resides in the Atlanta MSA. It makes zero sense for those folks to be able to dictate the season length of somebody in Decatur county, for example. That is why I said this appeared to be a DNR desire that was made to look legitimate. The DNR has express statutory authority to allow the season to go to the 15th. The timing of the season should be based on deer activity, not the wishes of a group of hunters that live 300 miles away. Again, my two cents, and I know others feel differently.

humdandy

Banned

For the sake of argument, does the DNR base all their policies on "public opinion"? If so, this might be a problem. IMO, the public is have no idea what is good for Georgia! The public is pretty much ignorant on many topics surrounding hunters and hunting regulations.

We pay you guys to make the educated decisions that impact our hunting. I'd rather trust the DNR to make the right decisions than a bunch of angry hunters.:cheers:

For the record, I have seen more rutting activity the past 2 weeks than I did in all of October down here. I have fetuses from does that do indicate she was bred Oct. 31.

We frequently pull our fetus and measure them on a scale.

Majority of the people in parts of the state who didn't understand what SW GA was dealing with. Also, majority of people who even knew about the meetings. Research and surveys performed through outsourcing to another state. The research doesn't even support that ending date for SW GA. This also effects the economy here. Later season beginning and ending in SW GA just makes the most sense. Taxidermists would get more business because more bucks are killed during colder weather and during the rut, as well as meat processors. Local outdoor stores also benefit because more people buy more products for the rut than they do for early season hunting, whether you agree with those products or not.

As I can already tell, nothing will be done because of the push back already received from the state and hunters in other areas.

You never did answer why the vote majority changed from the 15th (what the lady told me was overwhelmingly in the lead) to the 10th just a couple days before the voting ended? Blatant Lie??? Yes, I think so.

for the sake of argument, does the dnr base all their policies on "public opinion"? If so, this might be a problem. Imo, the public is have no idea what is good for georgia! The public is pretty much ignorant on many topics surrounding hunters and hunting regulations.

We pay you guys to make the educated decisions that impact our hunting. I'd rather trust the dnr to make the right decisions than a bunch of angry hunters.:cheers:

For the record, i have seen more rutting activity the past 2 weeks than i did in all of october down here. I have fetuses from does that do indicate she was bred oct. 31.

there is a huge difference in se georgia and sw georgia. Read please.

The hunting regulations guide is adequate notice to reach hunters. All the other means used are an added bonus. The public meetings were mentioned on the from cover of the regulations in bold.

So just for curiosities sake, where were these meetings held?? Any in the extreme southern part of the state??????????????

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
For the sake of argument, does the DNR base all their policies on "public opinion"? If so, this might be a problem. IMO, the public is have no idea what is good for Georgia! The public is pretty much ignorant on many topics surrounding hunters and hunting regulations.

We pay you guys to make the educated decisions that impact our hunting. I'd rather trust the DNR to make the right decisions than a bunch of angry hunters.:cheers:

For the record, I have seen more rutting activity the past 2 weeks than I did in all of October down here. I have fetuses from does that do indicate she was bred Oct. 31.

One tenet of the North American Model of Conservation is that the public is involved in the development of wildlife policy. Another is that policy be grounded in sound science. As Jbowers mentioned, all data indicate that peak rut occurs within the current deer season; thus, this is more of a social decision rather than biological. DNR must consider both science and public input when developing regulations.

humdandy

Banned
One tenet of the North American Model of Conservation is that the public is involved in the development of wildlife policy. Another is that policy be grounded in sound science. As Jbowers mentioned, all data indicate that peak rut occurs within the current deer season; thus, this is more of a social decision rather than biological. DNR must consider both science and public input when developing regulations.

Thanks!:cheers:

I am aware that you don't base ALL decisions on public opinion.

:cheers:

How much emphasis to you put on "public opinion"?

I am sure you are aware that many hunters in SE and SW GA, don't attend these meetings, don't check computers for info, etc. Heck, I had several hunters who did not know we could not kill does opening weekend this year!

In which they didn't do accurately in SW GA.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
B/c the state has an obligation to provide adequate notice. I (or other hunters) don't have an obligation to check every so often to make sure the state isn't up to funny business. And, the state works for us, not the other way around.

If you value your liberty you are obligated to keep a constant eye on government. The government is not obligated to protect your liberty. You are. If you don't protect your liberty the government will take it away from you.

Saying the state has an obligation to provide adequate notice is thin gruel my friend. They have published adequate notice on this matter. You did not avail yourself of the opportunity to pay attention to what they were saying.

If you value your liberty you are obligated to keep a constant eye on government. The government is not obligated to protect your liberty. You are. If you don't protect your liberty the government will take it away from you.

Saying the state has an obligation to provide adequate notice is thin gruel my friend. They have published adequate notice on this matter. You did not avail yourself of the opportunity to pay attention to what they were saying.

Stated by an admin of GON who has a close working relationship with the GA DNR as revealed to me through a game warden. Y'all are just covering each others butt.

That's your opinion and the data indicate otherwise. Every regulation change ever made, and that ever will be made, invariably upsets someone.

No way. Like I previously stated, no way you would end the season 14 days after the peak breeding period indicated by your own research in the majority of the state like you are in SW GA.