Weed ID

furtaker

What is this obnoxious weed? It looks like mini turnip salad and it completely took over one of our food plots. We sprayed the plot with glysophate before planting but it didn't slow down this stuff from taking over.
IMG_20211108_131057311~2.jpgIMG_20211114_172733866.jpg

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Don't know the weed, but next time till/plow the dirt before spraying, wait for what appears(germinates) that was in the soil. Allow it to acquire a decent amount of leaf surface, then spray Roundup and kill it before planting. It germinated after you sprayed the Roundup and tilled/harrowed/plowed. Roundup won't kill seeds that were lying dormant and then turned them under in the soil surface where they could germinate. Don't allow weeds to go to seed in the future.

furtaker

Don't know the weed, but next time till/plow the dirt before spraying, wait for what appears(germinates) that was in the soil. Allow it to acquire a decent amount of leaf surface, then spray Roundup and kill it before planting. It germinated after you sprayed the Roundup and tilled/harrowed/plowed. Roundup won't kill seeds that were lying dormant and then turned them under in the soil surface where they could germinate. Don't allow weeds to go to seed in the future.
We actually sprayed the glysophate soon before we planted. I know there were some weeds starting in the plot when we sprayed. I'm not sure if we turned the dirt again after spraying but we might have. I wonder if this stuff is resistant to glysophate.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
We actually sprayed the glysophate soon before we planted. I know there were some weeds starting in the plot when we sprayed. I'm not sure if we turned the dirt again after spraying but we might have. I wonder if this stuff is resistant to glysophate.

I doubt it unless someone planted some roundup resistant crops prior. I've seen it happen before, so go to tilling/plowing/harrowing, wait for what germinates, Spray, and till harrow/plow again. I'd wager much better results.

Also, make sure you use the 41% Glyphosate.

It looks like some sort of brassica. Any history of planting forage brassica on that site?
BTW brassica is a large family that includes turnips, mustards, rape, kale, collards and cabbage.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's some kind of mustard or cress. Roundup don't kill seeds, just stuff that's already growing. On the other hand, deer like to eat most brassicas.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

baddave

It kinda looks like broadleaf plantain. I have a field/ food plot area on my back area.My tractor is acting stupid so I didn't do a food plot there this year but broadleaf plantain came up and deer love it. Actually we just saw 4 does in it. Sure saved me a lot of effort. Along with about 6 big white oaks raining acorns this has been a crazy season. Are you monitoring that area? look at the leaves and look for browsing, nipped off leaves and a lot of poop

almoore

I ran it through a plant identifier site and all posible resutls shown were brassicas (which looked to be edible by humans.) It must be true, I saw it on the internet. Deer sure like the arugula I try to grow in my backyard.

furtaker

Thanks for the responses. We do have some plantain in that pasture but this looks a bit different. It may be some sort of brassica. If we've ever planted brassicas in that plot, it's been several years. The deer don't seem to be touching it but they're not using this plot very much anyway.

furtaker

Brassicas are a common component of deer food plot mixes.
I'm pretty sure this mix we planted didn't have any brassicas. Just wheat, oats, and peas. That's all it was supposed to be anyway.

Are most brassicas annuals or perennials?