What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbogg

It's amazing what I've put myself through to get to "no man's land" only to find a Busch Light can.

I’ve decided that guys used to drink a lot more beer while hunting than they do today. I find old beer cans all over the NF in the mountains. Pretty sure lot of those old grown up logging roads that criss cross literally every mountain were still passable 40 years ago. I’m guessing some of these hard to get to spots were easier to access back in the day, but I’ve been wrong before.

Last edited:

chrislibby88

I’ve decided that guys used to drink a lot more beer while hunting than they do today. I find old beer cans all over the NF in the mountains. Pretty sure lot of those old grown up logging roads that criss cross literally every mountain were still passable 40 years ago. I’m guessing some of these hard to get to spots were a easier to access back in the day, but I’ve been wrong before.
I’ve climbed through stupid steep laurel tangles to get up on mountain tops only to find an old rock fire ring and beer cans or chewed up sardine cans.

Whit90

Well, I have not been able to get out in the woods yet, but I did get my Horn Hunter Full Curl fame pack in last week. I am very impressed so far. I was pleased to see an American flag on the top of the pack with the words, "Made in America" (couldn't find on their website where they were made???).

This pack has enough storage for me to make it my primary pack. It does not have any large storage, but it has a LOT of pockets for the size of the pack. I will be using a dry bag that will serve as storage for heavy clothing or any other bulky items come winter. It will be very easy to secure the dry bag to the meat shelf area. @jbogg actually recommended the dry bag idea (thanks for the idea!). The pack also has a water bladder pocket that I will use every time I go out.

I packed it up as if I'd be going on a hunt in the mountains (hammock seat, kill kit, first aid, external battery charger, water bladder, and some other unnecessary items just to add weight.) and it wears great. Even with those items in the pack there is still plenty of room for other items. I then packed it like Id be going on a deer hunt with my Lone Wolf hand climber strapped to the frame and it wears way better than the stand by its self. I have been using a military kidney belt and backpack straps on my Lone Wolf and it carries very easily, but its 10X better on the fame pack because of the padding of the pack and the rigidity. The extra weight of carrying the pack frame and stand verses just the stand doesn't bother me because of how the frame takes the weight of the stand. There is no wobble when you lean to the left or right because of the rigidity of the frame and because you can really get things strapped down tight. With all on the webbing on the pack, I think I will be able to pack my stand in and then strap my pack to the tree when I get up to the height I want to hunt, instead of using a screw in hook. Not sure if I could rig it to pack a deer out with the stand as well, but hopefully I have a chance to figure that out this coming season.

Very pleased so far, but Ill let yall know more this season once I really put it to work.

Timberjack86

Put a new scope on my 308 and I'm heading to sumac creek to sight it in today. Decided on Federal fushion 150 grain since that's what's available now, may switch to 180 if I can find some.

splatek

UAEC
Yesterday was the official last day of summer teaching at the college and today is my 47th birthday so I too a walk in the woods. Found some white oaks, we shall see what they look like come season. Found a few good looking ones nestled in an old pine stand. Thought that was strange.

On the way off the ridge I picked a few chanterelles

E1A0B33B-C5D2-4800-9BEB-9FAC041702C9.jpeg

This is the lot I brought home.

I also crossed a creek with a deep hole and since I had my collapsible cane pole/tenkara-and some time, I tied on a stimi and dropped it in the hole. Caught me a nice brook trout on my third cast. Decided to start a little fire and make me a nice stream side lunch.

EE532625-93BF-4D6D-84EB-FC35EA1E749D.jpeg

Not a bad day at all.

Attachments

• 3FB66D09-4255-4802-BF44-594D1782D3C0.jpeg
    3FB66D09-4255-4802-BF44-594D1782D3C0.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25

Timberman

I’ve decided that guys used to drink a lot more beer while hunting than they do today. I find old beer cans all over the NF in the mountains. Pretty sure lot of those old grown up logging roads that criss cross literally every mountain were still passable 40 years ago. I’m guessing some of these hard to get to spots were easier to access back in the day, but I’ve been wrong before.

Yep. Also more deer hunters in the mtns back then and like you said roads everywhere with no restrictions.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Walked up on a little dude in the CNF today. A little bit close so I scanned the area and retreated. Sign was everywhere but its heavily populated with "hunters" come season. I was only 1.5 miles from a parking area that gets slammed during deer time. Buncha yankee newbies have been up there tryin to film their hunts last season. YouTube is sometimes a bad thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-183752.png
    Screenshot_20210717-183752.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

splatek

UAEC
Walked up on a little dude in the CNF today. A little bit close so I scanned the area and retreated. Sign was everywhere but its heavily populated with "hunters" come season. I was only 1.5 miles from a parking area that gets slammed during deer time. Buncha yankee newbies have been up there tryin to film their hunts last season. YouTube is sometimes a bad thing.

Are those boys Yankees? You talking about the hunting public?

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
I’ve decided that guys used to drink a lot more beer while hunting than they do today. I find old beer cans all over the NF in the mountains.

My grandpa drank beer everywhere he went. Also had a bottle under the seat of the truck :bounce:

Whit90

Hiked miles in the rain looking for acorns, lots of reds very and few whites. Saw deer (and fawn), bear, snakes, hogs and squirrels.

I didnt get to do any bear lookin, but my wife and I drove around inside of Warwoman doing a little exploring and we saw a huge doe. no fawn with her. Thought it had to have been a buck until we got a closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts