What did you do mountain related today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

35 Whelen

Seeds sprouting from the scat that were not digested?

KentuckyHeadhunter

The green in the scat is usually indicative of a grassy diet. Like @ddd-shooter said it looks to be a small pig that may have been eaten. Looks a lot like pig hair.
A couple years ago I found an entire beard from a gobbler that had been deposited. Found out later it was a big bobcat that was hunting that area.

HardlyHangin

The green in the scat is usually indicative of a grassy diet. Like @ddd-shooter said it looks to be a small pig that may have been eaten. Looks a lot like pig hair.
A couple years ago I found an entire beard from a gobbler that had been deposited. Found out later it was a big bobcat that was hunting that area.

Can you identify the animal with the grassy diet? There was certainly patches of grass but for the most part this was a combination of open timber and pine thicket

HardlyHangin

There was a bunch of rooting sign here as well. It's on a pine spine of the ridge that's basically a hardwood bluff going off one side.

Would you have stopped and hunted over this (pending freshness, hard to see from picture) or have kept slipping?

This was about 2 miles as the crow flies from where i ended up seeing them.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There was a bunch of rooting sign here as well. It's on a pine spine of the ridge that's basically a hardwood bluff going off one side.

Would you have stopped and hunted over this (pending freshness, hard to see from picture) or have kept slipping?

This was about 2 miles as the crow flies from where i ended up seeing them.
Hogs hardly ever stop moving, and usually only return to the same areas on a regular basis if there's a reliable food source there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hm. I need to learn more.
Disclaimer: I am far from a hog hunting expert. That's just what I've observed in the few places I've hunted them.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Hm. I need to learn more.
This is what makes the mountains so fun and challenging!
There is always something that needs to be learned, even year 'round out of season.
For me it doesn't even have to be hunting related. I love the natural history.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Man, I've got to say, I am pumped up for turkey season, but I am already really pumped up about trying to get a bear next season! Cant wait!!

I feel ya man. I went to Unicoi for the turkey callmakers show and didn't buy a single call. (I don't need more). But the gift-shop at the lodge had merino wool socks for like 7 bucks. So that's what I got at the turkey call show.....socks. Haha

Whit90

I feel ya man. I went to Unicoi for the turkey callmakers show and didn't buy a single call. (I don't need more). But the gift-shop at the lodge had merino wool socks for like 7 bucks. So that's what I got at the turkey call show.....socks. Haha

haha at least you were able to get a turkey fix! I started looking at maps for turkey hunting today at lunch. So it begins!

HardlyHangin

I bought a striker and some mouth calls. I was most interested in the seminars, the one on saturday was worth my drive

KentuckyHeadhunter

Got a random day off work and hit the CNF with just a daypack and a single trekking pole which was much needed. Scouting new areas close to my old areas. Went up to 2600 and could see that place they call Atlanta in my 10x42's. Over an hour and a half away. Weird. So quiet and so peaceful up there though. I reckon I was the only person for a mile or two. Bumped a large bodied deer with no antlers and saw a TON of pig sign. Was great seeing old dead chestnut trees still laying on the ground in higher elevations. Some of those oaks up there look to be 200 to 300 years old too. Didn't see any old bear sign which was odd to me here. Tons of old growth white oaks too. I've never seen such pig damage as I have in the last 2 years in the mountains up there. Very disturbing.

jbogg

Got a random day off work and hit the CNF with just a daypack and a single trekking pole which was much needed. Scouting new areas close to my old areas. Went up to 2600 and could see that place they call Atlanta in my 10x42's. Over an hour and a half away. Weird. So quiet and so peaceful up there though. I reckon I was the only person for a mile or two. Bumped a large bodied deer with no antlers and saw a TON of pig sign. Was great seeing old dead chestnut trees still laying on the ground in higher elevations. Some of those oaks up there look to be 200 to 300 years old too. Didn't see any old bear sign which was odd to me here. Tons of old growth white oaks too. I've never seen such pig damage as I have in the last 2 years in the mountains up there. Very disturbing.

I’ve only been hunting CNF for six years, but the amount of hog sign I saw this fall was the most I have seen in that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.