What order do the QBs go in the draft

Madsnooker

That biggest knock on him right now is his staring down receivers instead of going through his progressions and scanning the field..

From Sports Illustrated
NFL insider Tony Pauline says Fields is dropping down some NFL teams' draft boards.

“The main concern is that Justin Fields stares down the primary target. He doesn’t look away from the primary target. He doesn’t process things as quickly as they want him to," Pauline said. "During the Senior Bowl, I mentioned how there was one team who has broken down all of Justin Fields’ passes in 2020. They said that just seven times, he looked off the primary target. The other 200+ passes he threw to his primary target.​
“There are some people out there that are telling me Justin Fields has fallen down their boards, because while they think while he is a great physical specimen and he’s got tremendous arm strength, and is a great arm talent, they think that there is a concern there about staring down a primary target and not being able to process things that quickly. I don’t know that I completely agree with that, but that is the word from some teams out there.”

Did yall even read the article I linked in my previous post. It shoots down this first read stuff with facts not assumptions. It specifically addresses your quote about only 7 times looking past his first read and proves that quote is straight up false. Lol

Last edited:

Madsnooker

Justin Fields played 4 teams this year with defenses that were ranked in the top 20. That is the defense ratings, not the overall team. He went 1 and 3 in those games and threw 6 picks. For caparison, Zach Wilson faced two teams with defenses ranked in the top 20 and one that was in the low 30s. He threw 1 pick in those three games. Fields had 69 completions in those 4 games, and Wilson had 68 in his three. However, Field's had well over a 100 attempts and completion percentage in the high 50s, where Wilson's was well over 70% on less than 100 attempts. The knock on Fields is not, nor has it ever been, whether or not he is a superior athlete or how far he can throw the ball. The question is, and his NFL career will depend on, whether or not he can make quick decisions and make accurate throws to receivers that aren't wide open, like most of his were the majority of the time. You mention Olave being out, but he played in the championship game. Unfortunately for him and Fields he was matched up against a true NFL caliber corner in Surtain most of the time. Fields will see a Surtain every week in the NFL, and his receivers won't be able to separate from them like they did at OSU, where 99% of the time his receiver was waaaay better than the guy lined up against him. This is why Fields is dropping. Only having three bad games is quite telling, when most all of your other games are against teams that aren't really good at all.

Thats funny, he only lost 2 games in the last 2 years and you say he lost 3 just this past year? Maybe I'm missing something?

ATLFalconsfan80

Did yall even read the article I linked in my previous post. It shoots down this first read stuff with facts not assumptions. It specifically addresses your quote about only 7 times looking past his first read and proves that quote is straight up false. Lol

No...??

across the river

Thats funny, he only lost 2 games in the last 2 years and you say he lost 3 just this past year? Maybe I'm missing something?
3 and 1, sorry I'm dyslexic. The point I was making, was you normally can't throw six picks and win 3 out of 4 games. Obviously his D and the run game bailed him out on most of him. His performance in the games against which the teams were pretty decent, honestly wasn't very good. Against Clemson, they ran the ball down there throat, which is what opened up the pass game for him, but there wasn't a game, that I saw anyway, against a good team where he put the team on his back and lead the way. Not one.
My mistake doesn't change the stats though. Those weren't backwards. I hope the kid hs a good NFL carreer, I really do. I have no reason not to. I'm simply pointing out why he is falling. He is absolutely great when there is no pressure and his receiver is wide open, which was much of his carreer due to the talent around him. When he is under pressure or the corner is on his guy like. glove, which is what will happen in the pros, he honestly hasn't been that good in most cases.

Last edited:

DannyW

Yeah, I read it. The underlying tone of the article implies "people are falsely saying that because he is black, his progression reads are not as quick as a white QB. Racism abounds!"

I'm one that has a hard time believing that an owner, who has literally sunk millions (billions?) in an NFL franchise, and who desperately wants to win a championship, would shy away from the best talent available at the most important position on the field - regardless of race.

73% of the other players are black, why would a team single out the QB position to be racist?

I believe that when evaluating NFL talent, racism and stereotyping are by and large a non-factor. And rightly so. The number of black NFL QB's sort of proves that point.

Madsnooker

Yeah, I read it. The underlying tone of the article implies "people are falsely saying that because he is black, his progression reads are not as quick as a white QB. Racism abounds!"

I'm one that has a hard time believing that an owner, who has literally sunk millions (billions?) in an NFL franchise, and who desperately wants to win a championship, would shy away from the best talent available at the most important position on the field - regardless of race.

73% of the other players are black, why would a team single out the QB position to be racist?

I believe that when evaluating NFL talent, racism and stereotyping are by and large a non-factor. And rightly so. The number of black NFL QB's sort of proves that point.
That part of the article I didn't agree with as far as the black angle. My only point in posting the article was he accurately shot down the one read stuff. He gave example after example disproving it. Also alot of the single reads is Days offense and those plays called.

Bottom line, we can look back in a few years and see what Fields is or isn't.

Last edited:

Madsnooker

3 and 1, sorry I'm dyslexic. The point I was making, was you normally can't throw six picks and win 3 out of 4 games. Obviously his D and the run game bailed him out on most of him. His performance in the games against which the teams were pretty decent, honestly wasn't very good. Against Clemson, they ran the ball down there throat, which is what opened up the pass game for him, but there wasn't a game, that I saw anyway, against a good team where he put the team on his back and lead the way. Not one

He outplayed Lawrence in both games against him. If Dobbins and 1 of his receivers doesnt drop 3 easy TDs in the first half in the payoff game in 2019 Fields would have had over 450 yds and 5 tds and they would have blown Clemson out. Heck. If Olave doesn't run wrong route he might have had a td at the end of the game as well. Lawrence could not throw the ball against OSU in that game with 2 NFL first round receivers . In this last game against Clemson Fields was 22-28 for 400yds with 6tds and out played Lawrence yet again as far as throwing the ball. People can say what they want about his performance against NW but he was without his go to receiver and 3 starters on tge oline and NW brought the house on every play. OSU oline was very bad on that day and Fields was running for his life. Against Bama he gave a great effort but was in bad shape with his ribs and thats just a fact even though he didn't use it as an excuse.

By the way Lawrence threw 4 pics in a game last year and still won. Lawrence has had just as many or more bad games then Fields but he gets a pass on those for some reason?

Bottom line, both are great QBs and I understand why Lawrence will go first but I think Fields is a great passer as well and for some reason gets more scrutiny then Lawrence. I also have a hunch their are a couple owners putting out smoke screens as they always do leading up to the draft. We will see.

across the river

He outplayed Lawrence in both games against him. If Dobbins and 1 of his receivers doesnt drop 3 easy TDs in the first half in the payoff game in 2019 Fields would have had over 450 yds and 5 tds and they would have blown Clemson out. Heck. If Olave doesn't run wrong route he might have had a td at the end of the game as well. Lawrence could not throw the ball against OSU in that game with 2 NFL first round receivers . In this last game against Clemson Fields was 22-28 for 400yds with 6tds and out played Lawrence yet again as far as throwing the ball. People can say what they want about his performance against NW but he was without his go to receiver and 3 starters on tge oline and NW brought the house on every play. OSU oline was very bad on that day and Fields was running for his life. Against Bama he gave a great effort but was in bad shape with his ribs and thats just a fact even though he didn't use it as an excuse.

By the way Lawrence threw 4 pics in a game last year and still won. Lawrence has had just as many or more bad games then Fields but he gets a pass on those for some reason?

Bottom line, both are great QBs and I understand why Lawrence will go first but I think Fields is a great passer as well and for some reason gets more scrutiny then Lawrence. I also have a hunch their are a couple owners putting out smoke screens as they always do leading up to the draft. We will see.

Ohio State's line destroyed Clemson. Clemson has 52 yards rushing, so they had zero run game, and OSU only rushed four most of the time. The majority of the second half, when Clemson was down big, they played for the pass. Lawrence was still 33 for 48 with 2 TDs and 1 pick (which was the tip in the end zone with a minute left int he 4TH) and had 400 yards. I don't think a single receiver averaged over 20 yards per catch, because they played zone a bunch of the second half, which is more difficult to throw against.

Sermon alone rush for nearly 200 yards. Clemson couldn't stop it, even with the safety coming down. Therefore the play action, and specifically the deep ball, was there all night. Three Ohio Stye receivers averaged over twenty yards PER CATCH, and two more averaged over 15. On two of the deep balls to Olave, the deep touchdown to 6, and a couple of touchdowns to 88, the guys were wiiiiiide open. In more than one instance on several of those, the ball was a little behind the receviver, or had him out of stride. The long TD to Olave he actually had to reach behind him to catch it, but the DB wasn't close, so it didn't matter. Had the corner been in his pocket, the pass would have been batted down or even picked. Same for the ball behind the tight end where no one was close.

Fields played two legit NFL corners, Surtain and the Newsome kid, that I think got hurt in that game. He struggled in both cases. Like I said, I hope he has a great career, but all this he is as good as Lawrence stuff from OSU fans isn't reality. Watch the game again. Watch how open the OSU guys are verses the Clemson receivers. Ignore the jerseys and look at the throws. I think the concerns are pretty obvious.