Whatever happened to....

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
All those food questions from @notnksnemor?

Was hoping to hear more about....

- pickled pigs feet
- rocky mtn oysters
- prickly pears
- tripe
- haggis
- and lingua tacos

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
All those food questions from @notnksnemor?

Was hoping to hear more about....

- pickled pigs feet
- rocky mtn oysters
- prickly pears
- tripe
- haggis
- and language tacos

- pickled pigs feet - Nope. Tried one and a vein got stuck between my teeth.
- rocky mtn oysters - Love em sliced and tenderized. Never whole.
- prickly pears - Never ate one - but almost fainted when one stuck me in the back of the leg in the woods. Thought for sure I was snake bit.
- tripe - Never. End of discussion.
- haggis - Never tried it. That's a slow motion testimony.
- and language tacos - ? Is that the same as word salad?

Hope this helps.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would try the prickly pears and tongue sammiches. The rest I leave in a pile in the woods for the possums and yotes to enjoy.

sinclair1

I eat Lengua tacos on occasion along with the standard American versions

Waddams

I've had haggis. The real stuff in Scotland. It was actually pretty good but the modern recipe is just meat, oats, and barley cooked in the sheep stomach. I don't think they use the brains, liver, heart, etc. in what they make today (apparently they did way back in William Wallace Braveheart times).

I hear people talk bad about British food but when I was over there, everything native I tried was very good to be honest. And clean, so much less additives and what not. Seemed like even a local grown apple was better than here. The locals were also all very skinny compared to the USA. Same with Germany - everyone was thin. I figure it says something about the food and lifestyle differences.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had haggis. The real stuff in Scotland. It was actually pretty good but the modern recipe is just meat, oats, and barley cooked in the sheep stomach. I don't think they use the brains, liver, heart, etc. in what they make today (apparently they did way back in William Wallace Braveheart times).

I hear people talk bad about British food but when I was over there, everything native I tried was very good to be honest. And clean, so much less additives and what not. Seemed like even a local grown apple was better than here. The locals were also all very skinny compared to the USA. Same with Germany - everyone was thin. I figure it says something about the food and lifestyle differences.
If everybody's skinny, it probably means the food sucks. :)

Waddams

If everybody's skinny, it probably means the food sucks. :)
The beer and scotch was really good in Scotland. Even the room temp beer they had, but it was also very thick. They don't do light beer. But they stay skinny anyway somehow.

The beer, wine, and schnapps in Germany was very good. Who knew German wines were top notch? The schnapps wasn't the Dekuyper's super sweet stuff we have. It was very different, and hard to find the real stuff in the States.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I always laughed at what Brits called getting drunk.

dwhee87

And the incidence rate of diabetes is way lower everywhere other than the USA.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And the incidence rate of diabetes is way lower everywhere other than the USA.
Yeah, but we die happy and they die bitter and cranky.

specialk

Ive had tripe in Pho soup over in Chamblee years....it was good.....

Redbow

There isn't much that I won't eat from a Hog and other animals but my Aunt used to fix brains and eggs for breakfast when we killed Hogs I never cared for it but many of my family members loved it. They only got the brains and scrambled eggs once each year, that was okay with me one time was enough.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There isn't much that I won't eat from a Hog and other animals but my Aunt used to fix brains and eggs for breakfast when we killed Hogs I never cared for it but many of my family members loved it. They only got the brains and scrambled eggs once each year, that was okay with me one time was enough.
Grandpa used to eat brains and eggs. They also ate the lungs, called them "lights." Never brought myself to try that.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Lengua tacos and tortas are just about my favorite varieties. Don't know if I would want to prepare any, though. Cabeza tacos are also amazing to me.

dwhee87

I've watched the Meateater guys roast a whole deer head in campfire coals, and make tacos from the pickins'. Also watched them make deer tongue. I'd give that a try.

I've had lengua tacos a couple times. They were good.

DannyW

Yep, same as my grandparents house the morning after a hog killing. Those mornings I stuck to the biscuits and gravy.