Whats everyone seening after Dec 31 ..any good sized bucks taken after the new year happens

rstallings1979

Here is the guy I took January 12, 2020 in Upson. Last day of season, mid morning (about 9am). Came up over a rise, nose to the ground, on the trail of a doe that walked by 15 minutes before...Point being, they are still looking for love, even in January, if "mama" hasn't been bred yet.:ROFLMAO: My biggest to date.
View attachment 1274475
Nice late season buck...any recollection on the size of the Doe? Did she look like a young deer?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Late season is my favorite time to hunt. Less hunters and deer get to more predictable again, even though they are a bit more skittish. Plus if you're lucky enough to have a place to hunt with the late season rut, even better.

B. White

I don't know much about the subject, but based on the late season activity I have seen in middle GA over the years, I believe there has to be a decent percentage of does that may have been bred, but it didn't take or if it did was ended somehow naturally in the first few days. The idea that most does are bred successfully the first go round doesn't make sense, since I have seen hard chasing late on places with high and low populations. 10-20% of human pregnancies end in miscarriage, so I wouldn't expect it to be better with a critter in nature.

Jim Boyd

We close season 1 January this side of the river.

Bucks are def scarcer this late in the year but they are around.

In green patches, we are still flooded with deer.

Good luck!

Nice late season buck...any recollection on the size of the Doe? Did she look like a young deer?
I definitely remember she was a yearling. I watched her browse for a few then jumped the fence in front of me, and walked right to my stand. He came up the hill from a lake bottom and was walking "on a mission". Was a beautiful sight.

rstallings1979

I definitely remember she was a yearling. I watched her browse for a few then jumped the fence in front of me, and walked right to my stand. He came up the hill from a lake bottom and was walking "on a mission". Was a beautiful sight.
Gotcha...I figured that was the case. Thanks for the response.