What's the weirdest thing you've found while hunting?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Walking in to hunt in the pitch dark one morning I almost stumbled over a man lying facedown. It rattled me something fierce.
But it turned out he was alive. He was lost and laid down to get warmer and wait for daylight.

Last edited:

GreenPig

I've got two. Hog hunting one morning I found a large drop tank (fuel) from a military aircraft. I figure somebody hit the wrong switch or it wasn't mounted properly and slipped off because it was only 5 or 6 miles from the base.
Hog hunting along the river that had been outside it's bank for weeks I spot something unusual and slow down and get real into stalking mode. It was roughly a 100 yards away but I could tell it was large. So I eased on and finally got a good look at it and sure enough it was a 600 to 700 pound Yamaha Grizzly 7 or 8 feet up in the fork of a tree.

Whitefeather

Management Material
The coolest thing about this thread is seeing some of the early legends of Woodys’ posts. I’ve looked up a lot of those guys’ profiles and can’t help but remember the good ole days of the forum and wonder what happened to those guys. Hope some of them are still around....

onedude

We use to see a peacock running with a flock of wild turkeys. we found out it had escaped from a farm a few miles away. It was an odd site the first time you saw it.

soyota

Once shooting planted quail, we'd been working a field for probably 30-45 minutes, when the dogs pointed again. We flushed a single bird which I hit hard, tiny feathers flying everywhere, probably 5-10yds from where he flushed and maybe 15 feet in the air. Before that bird could hit the ground a hawk swooped in out of nowhere and snatched it mid-air, then flew off.

The guy who owned the place yelled at us to shoot the hawk (poaching his planted birds!), but we were all too stunned to react, and honestly I felt he'd earned that one. Looking back, the hawk must've been watching us for a while, and must've seen the ritual of point/flush/shoot enough times to know that a quail was about to get up so he should be ready to dive. Cool stuff.

I wasn't there for this one, but my dad was once deer hunting on a farm near Conyers owned by an older guy he was friends with. Right around first light, he heard a shot a few hundred yards away followed by screaming, which just kept going and going, so he ran over and found a guy who'd been shot. Two poachers had gone onto the farm that morning, together, but set up in different spots, and later one of them decided to take a leak. I guess they hadn't worked out exactly where there were going to set up, because the other guy saw movement through the bushes and didn't think "I bet that's my buddy", and instead figured it was a deer and shot at it. Bullet went in under his belly button and blew out his spine in the back... Dad asked the land owner about it years later, the guy lived but has no feeling in his legs, can't walk, and can't control his bowels. He and the other guy are NOT friends any more, unsure if the other guy did any time for it.

In the early 90s in Alpharetta, me and the neighborhood kids ran all over the woods near where we lived. One time we found a stone axe, intact handle, and some leather thongs attaching some kind of .... I dunno, decorations? We were kids so of course we decided it must have strange magical powers, and everyone got to take turns keeping it at their houses. I forget what happened to it-- I remember someone talked about taking it to school to ask a teacher, but decided that maybe bringing a weapon to school was not a good move. Looking back, I'm not sure if it was a genuine artifact or not, but it was certainly strange... it had been in the woods a long time, but not long enough for the leather to rot away.

In that same area, we found the roof of what had at some point been an upright shack that had collapsed. We pulled the roof to the side and the floor underneath had dozens of little bottles, all different colors... very old, no labels, a few had embossed letters on the glass itself. Again being kids we decided that a witch had lived there, and these were all her magic potions. But looking back I can't make any more sense of it... It's one thing to find a coffee can, or jars/jugs used for preserves, or even a few little bottles of special stuff like toiletries or iodine or something. But this was a LOT of little bottles, and the shack couldn't have been more than 10ft on a side. What the heck were they keeping there?

Tom W.

I was slowly easing to my ladder stand when I heard voices. I couldn't see anyone so I went into full stealth mode and went from tree to tree until I saw a guy lying on the ground. I didn't know if he had fallen from my stand or what. Then I heard a black woman talking. I coughed and cleared my throat and they both popped up hollering about where did they leave the 4 wheeler and ran down the hill away from me.
It wasn't long and I heard it crank up and never saw them again.....

Another time I was hunting way back in the woods walking on an old road that was up on a steep hill along Barbour Creek. I found the remains of what I think was either an old hotel, road house or plantation house. Unfortunately the only thing left was three huge chimney's, the middle one being a double sided one, a huge stone staircase leading up to what was the front porch, two fairly large staircases at each end of the house and one our the back. It was a long way down to the creek from the house. Plenty of stone pillars that used to support the floor joists were evident. I rooted all around but didn't find any artifacts.....

Last edited:

crackerdave

I was slowly easing to my ladder stand when I heard voices. I couldn't see anyone so I went into full stealth mode and went from tree to tree until I saw a guy lying on the ground. I didn't know if he had fallen from my stand or what. Then I heard a black woman talking. I coughed and cleared my throat and they both popped up hollering about where did they leave the 4 wheeler and ran down the hill away from me.
It wasn't long and I heard it crank up and never saw them again.....

Another time I was hunting way back in the woods walking on an old road that was up on a steep hill along Barbour Creek. I found the remains of what I think was either an old hotel, road house or plantation house. Unfortunately the only thing left was three huge chimney's, the middle one being a double sided one, a huge stone staircase leading up to what was the front porch, two fairly large staircases at each end of the house and one our the back. It was a long way down to the creek from the house. Plenty of stone pillars that used to support the floor joists were evident. I rooted all around but didn't find any artifacts.....

Sounds like a good place to use a metal detector.

sb1010

I found a chair, with an empty whiskey bottle by one of the legs of the chair, and what looked like entire box of fired shotgun shells, by the chair.

I guessed someone took the whiskey and the shotgun into the woods and fired a box of shells while getting drunk.

I wouldn't walk up on that.

hambone76

I was turkey hunting Paulding Forest WMA off of Braswell Mtn Rd and found pieces of newer sheet metal that were twisted up like it was done so by something with some serious force. Turned out it was sheet metal from the airplane hangar at the airport in Paulding. A tornado had passed through there recently and dropped the debris all the way over there.

hambone76

I know exactly where this is. Pretty sure I took a pic of it also on my phone somewhere. Small world.
Sure is. This is one of the better looking ones that I’ve found.
Paulding forest is covered up in old still sights.
Sure is. I’ve seen quite a few.
I really like finding the old 55 gallon barrel treestands nailed up in trees on PF too. 2A2AD815-4765-461A-9181-EBA6B3F9ECC9.jpeg

Dusty Roads

70's private land near Callaway Airport,Pine Mtn.GA,while in my stand a collarless dog trotted by me.....I was trying to figure out what kind it was,strange weird looking.
Few years later I saw a Coyote pic-it was for sure!

Last edited:

Dusty Roads

A few years back I was hunting on Dixie Creek WMA, I had several does and a nice buck come blasting up the road about 50 yards from me. A few minutes later a hunter came stalking up that same road. He was quiet as he could be, if I hadn't spotted him, I never would have known he was there. He suddenly stopped, threw down his bow, and pulled out his phone. I then listened as he screamed into his phone for five minutes about business, and about he couldn't even enjoy his one week off because all of the people who worked for him were freaking idiots. After he finished berating them, he picked up his bow and continued on his very quiet stalk. He seemed kinda angry when I started laughing.
R Smith?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I’ve posted about this somewhere on this board before but me and a buddy had an odd encounter while trout fishing back in Cohutta. We had hiked in about four miles and at one point during the weekend we decided to go up Ball Mountain and see how extensive the fire damage had been that year. We got up near the top and looked around and decided to head back down and cook some supper. Now if you’ve ever been up that mountain you know it’s pretty steep. Going up he and I had to take a few breaks. This was in June so it was warm and we were both sweating pretty bad.

Well when we started back down we had t gone far and we saw a woman coming up the mountain toward us. Now that would t be all that strange at all except she was dressed kind of odd, wearing a t shirt, sweat pants, and my buddy says she was wearing house shoes but I don’t remember. Also, she didn’t have anything you would expect a hiker to have. No walking stick, no pack, and strangest of all she had no water. Stranger still, she would have had to have hiked at least four miles to get there and then climbed a steel danged mountain and she was not sweating at all. She looked to be in her fifties. My buddy was walking about ten feet ahead of me and she wouldn’t look at him. I said, “Hey, how you doing?” She didn’t look at me and didn’t say a word. It was pretty weird. He and I both got kind of a bad feeling about it but that was kind of that. I always have a pistol with me at least when I’m out there. Even if I’m just fishing. You never know what kind of weirdos you are going to run into.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
The coolest thing about this thread is seeing some of the early legends of Woodys’ posts. I’ve looked up a lot of those guys’ profiles and can’t help but remember the good ole days of the forum and wonder what happened to those guys. Hope some of them are still around....
Definitely. I’ve had a ball going back through this thread and had the same thought. There are some GON old timers that I miss. I left the board for a few years and when I came back some of the people who had been big contributors had moved on. Not unexpected but it’s still kind of sad. I’m glad for the ones that are still here.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Definitely. I’ve had a ball going back through this thread and had the same thought. There are some GON old timers that I miss. I left the board for a few years and when I came back some of the people who had been big contributors had moved on. Not unexpected but it’s still kind of sad. I’m glad for the ones that are still here.
I join before the big crash of ‘04 I think. I rejoined , but I also left for a few years. It got where all everyone on here wanted to do was argue. I think most of them have moved on too.

What’s up with the new name?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I join before the big crash of ‘04 I think. I rejoined , but I also left for a few years. It got where all everyone on here wanted to do was argue. I think most of them have moved on too.

What’s up with the new name?

Yeah that was more or less it with me too. I used to post in the sports forum a lot. That place has always kind of been the Wild West of the board. I enjoyed all the mixing it up but it just got ridiculous. I had a guy from here taking the losers forum stuff over to Facebook back when I was still on there. I was ignoring him so he started personal messaging me. This was about sports forum stuff. So I blocked him. Then he got banned here and came back under a a different name and said started it up again. I’ll leave out the end part where I finally put an end to it. You can pm me if you really want to hear it. He got the point that I had had enough.

All that put a bad taste in my mouth so I left the board for a few years. You’re right though. A lot of the trouble makers from the old days seem to have moved on. But along with it, some of the guys that made this place great did too. And what was really too bad was after I came back I tried to talk to some of the folks I used to talk to in that sports forum and it was weird. Like they didn’t remember me almost. Oh well. I said to heck with that place. I like a lot of these other forums better.

As for the name change, with all the junk that’s going on and with college football getting political I decided I was done with it. That made it seem like a name change was in order.