Who all is planning to hunt Cohutta?

Professor

Oh I’ve been wanting to hunt Cohutta, but like you said, I’ve got a few ridges on Chestatee pegged down pretty well, and I always try to learn a little bit of new ground every time I’m out. Oh and my family owns a camper in Blairsville, so that free lodging is hard to pass up.
I'll be up there all 4 days. I still haven't gotten Anything this year (not for the lack of trying) hopefully the cold weather will get the animals moving. I'm honestly glad that there's rain in the forecast.
Lots of tracks in the snow. Even saw some small bear tracks.

Christian hughey

I will be there. I have some hope that we will see a lot of bears. They should all be active with the abundance of acorns and warm weather. (keep in mind I have still to kill my first bear, so I really have no idea what I am talking about). The colder weather should get the deer moving. Looks like we might have some snow.
I b there. Hopefully in a tree by tomarrow afternoon at least! Good luck!

Christian hughey

It will be good for deer movement. I'm ready, thinner compression layers work much better than thick puffy layers and a good base layer gloves boots and mask are key. My toes getting fridgid is bout the only thing I hate. Hopefully yogis hungry!

ddd-shooter

If I could, I'd hunt tomorrow. Gotta work.
The weather hasn't been a real factor for me since I bought a Sitka fanatic set. It literally changed my approach to cold weather hunting. Tomorrow I'd wear merino baselayers top and bottom, Stratus pants, the fanatic bibs and jacket and a fleece vest. Coupled with my most essential cold weather gear- the fleece facemask. I wouldn't be hot, but I could sit as long as I wanted to like that up in my summit.

Good luck to all and enjoy the snow. It's my favorite weather to hunt in.

Will be up in Cohutta 4 of the 5 days.. have a few trail cams out there and have a few small bucks and a big ole mountain hog on them! Tons of sign out there!!Good luck to all in the morning..!

Attachments

• 2B214C77-57C0-4C09-84C2-B2D2222D1E46.jpeg
    2B214C77-57C0-4C09-84C2-B2D2222D1E46.jpeg
    618.3 KB · Views: 60
  • F5BCBF13-717A-4576-B028-3F9864E9AA6A.jpeg
    F5BCBF13-717A-4576-B028-3F9864E9AA6A.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 86E574BF-04B5-4012-85B7-2BD753679253.jpeg
    86E574BF-04B5-4012-85B7-2BD753679253.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 50

chrislibby88

Knocked feathers off a pretty good one this morning but the trail petered out on me. Probably nothing a band aid wont fix. I was shaking bad. Not sure if it was buck fever or the arctic temperature. I just sat back down. Maybe I can redeem myself.
Bummer! Man a bad hit is the worst. Give it a day and put a dog on it. Meat should be fine in these temps.

splatek

UAEC
Bummer! Man a bad hit is the worst. Give it a day and put a dog on it. Meat should be fine in these temps.

I hit one, I think one lunged it, Monday. Lost blood, searched the creek and then ended up bumping him in a small flat not far from last blood.
Went back yesterday morning early - it was in the twenties monday into tuesday night so i expected to find frozen venison. Searched for over three hours and then I wasn't even going to look for him in this one spot, but walking out I just had a feeling. About 40 yards after I turned that way I caught a full broadside of a coyote, then two others bumped out. Three total. I figured that was a good, or bad, sign that my deer might be down there. Sure enough, all I found was a spine and one leg. It was stripped clear of everything but a fine sheen of pink right up against the spine and ribs. He was wrapped around a tree bent in half. I didn't search for all the parts because I was already encroaching on other property. I just left him, feeling both dejected that I had left him to that fate and also relieved that I had obtained closure on him. If it weren't for a few great stand up guys on this board that I was able to reach out to for assistance I would've not known what to do.

strothershwacker

I've tracked enough deer where I just don't think he's hurt bad. 200 yards into tiny specks of blood he was still jumping big logs without even knocking the snow off of em. He done a mule kick when I shot but then ran like he wasn't hurt. It's just medium red meat blood. No stink, no bubbles.

chrislibby88

I hit one, I think one lunged it, Monday. Lost blood, searched the creek and then ended up bumping him in a small flat not far from last blood.
Went back yesterday morning early - it was in the twenties monday into tuesday night so i expected to find frozen venison. Searched for over three hours and then I wasn't even going to look for him in this one spot, but walking out I just had a feeling. About 40 yards after I turned that way I caught a full broadside of a coyote, then two others bumped out. Three total. I figured that was a good, or bad, sign that my deer might be down there. Sure enough, all I found was a spine and one leg. It was stripped clear of everything but a fine sheen of pink right up against the spine and ribs. He was wrapped around a tree bent in half. I didn't search for all the parts because I was already encroaching on other property. I just left him, feeling both dejected that I had left him to that fate and also relieved that I had obtained closure on him. If it weren't for a few great stand up guys on this board that I was able to reach out to for assistance I would've not known what to do.
Dang man. Hope it wasn’t that monster you had in cam.

Professor

Where? Consider getting a dog out there next time that happens. My daughter and her friend both have tracking dogs. If it was on you lease they certainly could have come out.

Professor

Knocked feathers off a pretty good one this morning but the trail petered out on me. Probably nothing a band aid wont fix. I was shaking bad. Not sure if it was buck fever or the arctic temperature. I just sat back down. Maybe I can redeem myself.
A good blood trail?